I received replacement Pocket 2 and it is defect again
1327 38 2020-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Hi everyone,

My Pocket 2 had a defect as some of you already seen in my previous post.

210349eyasmoulwoe57t8l.jpg
210446pzk4n99wonnw09pa.jpg
It had very strange scratch? or mark? and also noticeable specks of dust on the right side of len.

063518tli0p2wh0k53xkp0.jpg
It caused right side of the image blur so I sent it to the DJI service center for their inspection.

After 10 days of process, they send a replacement. It was a new package.
Naturally right after open the package, I done some visual inspection and test shoot.

DJI_0900-2-.jpg
DJI_0900-3.jpg
DJI_0900-3++.jpg
DJI_0900-3+++.jpg
It has even more dust on the inner lens surface and this time it's all in the center of the lens.
Well... as long as it does not affect the image quality, I can live with it.

DJI_0027.MP4_20201120_010811.396.jpg
DJI_0027.MP4_20201120_010811+.396.jpg
DJI_0002.MP4_20201120_011045.604.jpg
DJI_0002.MP4_20201120_011045.604+.jpg
DJI_0030.MP4_20201120_011306.590.jpg
DJI_0030.MP4_20201120_011306.590+.jpg
But test result tells otherwise...
It causes vary noticeable 45° angled light blur...
Oh... no...

DJI_0078.MP4_20201120_014104.391.jpg
DJI_0070.MP4_20201120_014125.478.jpg
Which was not happend with previous one...

So I guess I am contacting DJI service center again...

2020-11-19
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

No not again!
2020-11-19
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I hope they didn't just try to clean up your original one.  Have you checked serial numbers?
2020-11-19
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Gulfstream Posted at 11-19 12:45
No not again!

What a chance...
2020-11-19
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

John Walker Posted at 11-19 14:10
I hope they didn't just try to clean up your original one.  Have you checked serial numbers?
Just checked, it's a differernt serial number.
At least they send new one.
2020-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Is the serial number close to the first one?  Maybe there was a problem with a particular production run.  But generally, I get the feeling that quality control for this device hasn't been as good as before - I don't remember such reports in respect of the Pocket 1.  My sympathies!!
2020-11-19
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-19 16:07
Is the serial number close to the first one?  Maybe there was a problem with a particular production run.  But generally, I get the feeling that quality control for this device hasn't been as good as before - I don't remember such reports in respect of the Pocket 1.  My sympathies!!

1st Pocket 2's SN : 3PYCHAQ00A4775
2nd Pocket 2's SN : 3PYCH9K00A0764

PY means Pocket 2 main module. (Do-it-all handle is HB, wireless mic is HD, mini control stick is HE)
CH likely means location or factory.
AQ and 9K might mean production line or date. (or 9K means replacement unit)
A4775 and A0764 looks like a production number of the run.

I agree, pandemic might affected their production quality.
2020-11-19
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft
United States

So sorry to hear this! I've been watching your YouTube page for over a year now, and have always loved your videos that you take with the original Osmo Pocket, so hope you get a good one soon.
2020-11-19
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

The General Posted at 11-19 19:46
So sorry to hear this! I've been watching your YouTube page for over a year now, and have always loved your videos that you take with the original Osmo Pocket, so hope you get a good one soon.

Thank you for following my small channel.
I am also looking forward to shoot with Pocket 2... when I got a good one.
2020-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Just as a side note - I recently became an early purchaser of the new Oculus Quest 2, and in my usual way I am following other people's experiences with that in online forums and so on - Oculus too seem to have a lot of quality control issues with that recently-manufactured device.  Indeed the disruption caused by the virus could be having some effect.  Or I'm guessing wildly!
2020-11-19
Use props
Fat Panda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31050 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry to hear that, you may wipe the lens with alcohol or wipes, it may works.
2020-11-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Tide, you may refer to the advice above, try to wipe the lens to see if it works or not. If there is any further issue, please contact our support team again for further assistance. Sorry for all the inconvenience caused.
2020-11-19
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Fat Panda Posted at 11-19 23:51
Sorry to hear that, you may wipe the lens with alcohol or wipes, it may works.

This dust are inside the lens cover glass.
So I cannot access it.
2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-19 23:59
Hi Tide, you may refer to the advice above, try to wipe the lens to see if it works or not. If there is any further issue, please contact our support team again for further assistance. Sorry for all the inconvenience caused.

This dust are inside the cover glass and on the surface of inner lens. So user cannot access it.
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bad luck man!
2020-11-20
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

It seems with Pocket 2  DJI has a lot of to improve in production quality and what I have followed the forum they have a lot of things to update with firmware too.
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, that light blur is probably not caused by the dust.
At least I never had dust causing this kind of reflections.

You are talking about the lens flares around the lamps right?
2020-11-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Tide Posted at 11-20 00:01
This dust are inside the cover glass and on the surface of inner lens. So user cannot access it.

Sorry for that case happened. Under this situation, please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send it back again. Please let me know your case number after sending out the package, I'd like to help you keep an eye on it.
2020-11-20
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've been under the impression that the sealed lens assemblies are made by a third party company and supplied to DJI ?So DJI might not be at fault here - perhaps.
2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 00:08
Bad luck man!
Indeed.
I hope it is just my luck and not abroad case.
2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 00:10

Yes I mean, lens flare around light post.
That flare happens when the strong light coming into the lens gets scattered near the lens’ focal plane.

Usually a severe deep scratch on the cover glass or a dust in the inner lens do affect this. Surly not the dust on the cover glass because it is far from the focal plane.
(Well that is as much as I understand with in my limited knowledge )
2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 00:10

2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

John Walker Posted at 11-20 10:11
I've been under the impression that the sealed lens assemblies are made by a third party company and supplied to DJI ?So DJI might not be at fault here - perhaps.
I don’t know if 3rd party delivers the whole lens assembly or not. But even if it is, DJI still mount that lens assembly in the gimbal head housing.

So I think there still is a chance this could happen.
2020-11-20
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

John Walker Posted at 11-20 10:11

Not a matter of finger pointing but just basic quality control. If the supposed supplier of the camera/lens exercise standard inspection before delivering to DJI , and the assemblers at the DJI plant also  checked the parts before final assembly would we see such defects ending up in the hands of owners?
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tide Posted at 11-20 10:15
Indeed.
I hope it is just my luck and not abroad case.

Somehow I hope so too!
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tide Posted at 11-20 10:26
That flare happens when the strong light coming into the lens gets scattered near the lens’ focal plane.

I do see this from time to time in my DSLR images.
And I for sure have top notch glass without scratches or other defects.
I have yet to find the cause.
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is an empty reply?
2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 12:16
That is an empty reply?
That is a duplicated reply that I tried to delet.
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tide Posted at 11-20 14:11
That is a duplicated reply that I tried to delet.

Ah ok.
I always wondered how one could make this kind of post
2020-11-20
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 14:13
Ah ok.
I always wondered how one could make this kind of post

Only input emoji to the reply.
Not the forum emoji but the emoji from your keyboard. Then it came out empty.
2020-11-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

OMG, not again.  Appears DJI has a quality control issue.  Hope your 3rd P2 is a good one.  
2020-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tide Posted at 11-20 18:52
Only input emoji to the reply.
Not the forum emoji but the emoji from your keyboard. Then it came out empty.

Wow, you found a way to fool the forum software
2020-11-21
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Really sorry to hear that Tide I can relate to that because I am on my 3rd Osmo Action. I bought the Action as soon as it was locally available, and I had 2 in a row that bricked themselves. That became a well reported issue later on. After the second one died I completely returned it for a refund and waited for a new, fixed version to arrive.

I bought the Action again after a couple of months, when a batch with no reported problems was available (I don't know if it is still the same, but you cloud see the manufacturing date/batch of DJI products outside the box).

Since then I am very hesitant to buy DJI products at launch...

And when it comes to your second one with dust, it is hard to tell if they would cause any problems. The aperture is quite wide, so they might be insignificant; yet the lens is so small they might still effect the image quality. There is one thing I believe firmly which supersedes both of those arguments though: As a customer you should not be worrying about dust in a sealed lens assembly of a brand new camera! For me, this is simply wrong...

Hope you get a proper one soon...

2020-11-21
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

CemAygun Posted at 11-21 16:53
Really sorry to hear that Tide  I can relate to that because I am on my 3rd Osmo Action. I bought the Action as soon as it was locally available, and I had 2 in a row that bricked themselves. That became a well reported issue later on. After the second one died I completely returned it for a refund and waited for a new, fixed version to arrive.

I bought the Action again after a couple of months, when a batch with no reported problems was available (I don't know if it is still the same, but you cloud see the manufacturing date/batch of DJI products outside the box).

DJI's quality control was not bad but not perfect either. However their products are somehow attractive and unique enough to bring me back.

I finally sent mine to DJI Hong Kong center for full refund. I will get the new one at the local store where I can inspect on site.
2020-11-25
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Tide Posted at 11-25 04:50
DJI's quality control was not bad but not perfect either. However their products are somehow attractive and unique enough to bring me back.

I finally sent mine to DJI Hong Kong center for full refund. I will get the new one at the local store where I can inspect on site.

That is exactly why I am waiting for it to be available locally. I don't want to deal with sending it back and forth if something goes wrong. I just want to take it back to the shop and let them deal with it

Also for some strange reason Pocket 2 is overpriced here at the moment; where as Mini 2 is advertised at it's DJI store price.
2020-11-25
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

CemAygun Posted at 11-25 15:12
That is exactly why I am waiting for it to be available locally. I don't want to deal with sending it back and forth if something goes wrong. I just want to take it back to the shop and let them deal with it

Also for some strange reason Pocket 2 is overpriced here at the moment; where as Mini 2 is advertised at it's DJI store price.
If it is more than the suggested price, would be hard to justify the purchase over Pocket 1.

I hope the price settled down for you soon.
2020-11-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 11-20 10:26

Hi Tide.
Indeed dust on the front element of a lens assembly can introduce lens flare as light gets wrapped around the outside of the particle and scatters. Whereas a scratch can be completely ignored by the sensor and on larger lenses I have seen where large scratches have not even been noticeable on the images recorded, whereas if on the glass in front of the main element, they are noticeable. What I'm not sure of on such small lenses is how many lens elements make up the final assembly or if indeed there is more than just the one element.  

Ray.
2020-11-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think the particular importance here is that Mr Tide undertakes some painstaking and very analytical reviews of these gimbal cameras, and whether the dust is actually a problem or not (of course it should not be there, on principle) DJI would do well to ensure that his eventual review and tests are based on an undeniably good example of the product.  And I hope he gets one very soon!

[Edit - I see from the other thread that he now has an apparently good one - great!]

2020-11-27
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Tide Posted at 11-26 16:36
If it is more than the suggested price, would be hard to justify the purchase over Pocket 1.

I hope the price settled down for you soon.

Yeah, I will prioritize the Mini2 purchase I guess...I was waiting for my Mavic Air to be sold first but I might buy the Mini 2 right away...

I guess my Pocket 1 has to put up with me a bit more
2020-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules