UK CofC take test without the course?
565 4 2020-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Futurity
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm just trying to find out the licence implications for a Phantom 3 Standard that I'm looking to buy from a friend.

I don't want to abuse the system and absolutely want to follow all the rules.  Am I correct in my understanding that I have to take a one day £200 A2 Certificate of Competency (CofC) course so that I can pilot it as a hobbiest.  I was wondering if there is a way to read up on the test therory online and just take the test without having to take the expensive course?

Thanks.

Neil

2020-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From 31/12/2020 the new EASA regulations will come into force and the UK CAA has agreed to adopt them for controlling UK airspace. The Phantom 3 Standard will fall straight into the A3 subcategory of the Open category from that date as not CE classified and weighs 250g to less than 25kg. That means you will only be able to fly that drone in areas where there are no people present... Even to fly in the A3 you will still need to read the manual, obtain your flyer ID and register yourself as a drone operator with the CAA and place your operator ID on the drone (£1,000 fine if you fail to do so and get caught).

To fly that drone in the A2 subcategory as a legacy drone and thus enable you to fly in areas where there is nobody within 50m of the drone you need to pass the A2 CofC (in addition to registration and getting a flyer ID) - which will require you to take the course and pass the test. I believe there is also a practical element involved too and no short cuts. Once passed the qualification is valid for 5 years before renewal is required however, the Phantom's being legacy drones may only be flown in the A2 for a transitional period of two years. So even with the A2 CofC you will fall back to the A3 from 01/01/2023. With fines now being "unlimited" I would indeed strongly advise sticking to the rules.

Given the cost of the drone you are looking to get and the costs of the A2 CofC you will be better off getting a DJI Mini 2 - it weighs <250g and may be flown in the A1 subcategory (over people) without any tests needing to be taken (though you will still need to register yourself with the CAA as the drone is not a toy) and with no transitonal period so indefinite. It is also a superior drone to the Phantom 3 series in terms of transmission, flight times, camera performance, agility and tech. I wouldn't buy a Phantom 3 now if I were you.  

2020-11-19
Use props
Futurity
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi A J,
Thank you so much for that clear explanation.
I was hoping that the course wasn't needed if there was online course material, but sadly this isn't the case, but I can see why.
As you say, when you factor in the £200 course, the £100 for the old drone and other costs, the DJI Mini 2 doesn't cost a lot more.
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Neil
2020-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Futurity Posted at 11-19 11:02
Hi A J,
Thank you so much for that clear explanation.
I was hoping that the course wasn't needed if there was online course material, but sadly this isn't the case, but I can see why.

You're welcome Neil. Think it through but friend or not, there is no point paying even £100 for a drone you can't fly where you can see anyone! In addition to that the Phantom 3 is an obsolete drone these days - you will find it very difficult getting spare props, batteries etc and fingers crossed it's fit for flight anyway. That model was released over five years ago...
2020-11-20
Use props
JosephBolliger
New

Ukraine

2021-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules