Lost Mavic Mini, what to do next?
1307 29 2020-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Hi Guys,

I got a 'dji mavic mini fly more combo' , but I lost the drone 2 days later.
A strong wind just blew the drone away when I was trying the the 'Rocket' quick snapshot; unfortunately, I couldn't find it according to the 'find my drone'.

If it possilbe just buy a  'drone' only, and still use my controller and other parts;
or it is better to sell the rest of parts?

Kind regards
Eric
2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

One thing to try is to post your flight data to see if it gives any clues.

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-20 03:36

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

will try it, thanks mate.
2020-11-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Eric. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate incident happened and you have lost the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-20 03:36

This is the last log. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/89B452KQ3L5U4S4GPIS8
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-20 03:40
Hello there Eric. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate incident happened and you have lost the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks  for reply, I will try, but it was happened 5 days ago, I guess there is few chance for me...
2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solomon99 Posted at 11-20 03:54
This is the last log. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/89B452KQ3L5U4S4GPIS8

OK ... That looks good.
It might take 10 mins or so to come up with something for you.
Stand by
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-20 04:00
OK ... That looks good.
It might take 10 mins or so to come up with something for you.
Stand by

got it, thanks.

BTW, I did go to the last address in the log, and looked around  the backyard and roof with the home owner,  but get nothing.
2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solomon99 Posted at 11-20 04:07
got it, thanks.

BTW, I did go to the last address in the log, and looked around  the backyard and roof with the home owner,  but get nothing.

It looks like you finished doodling around at about 8:40 when the Mini was only 25 metres away and 15 metres up.
It must have been a windy day as at 9:16.8 when only 6 metres up, the Mini was having trouble holding position and was being blown away at 0.5-1 metre/sec.
At 10:09.7 and 20 metres up, it was drifting at about 1.7 m/s.
At 10:20.4 you initiated but quickly cancelled and tried to manually fly north at full speed without much luck.
The Mini was going backwards at 0.7 - 2.2 m/s.
You took it higher, up to 70 metres but this was a bad mistake as the wind up higher is usually going to be significantly faster.
Just trying to hover up there, it was being blown backwards at 4-5 m/s and was now over 900 metres south of where you launched.
You didn't do anything after that and the data ends at 13:29.6 with the Mini 70 metres up and 957 metres away and being blown further south at around 5 m/s.

You wouldn't find the Mini near the last recorded location because it was high up and being blown further away.

Stand by a little more and I'll try to figure how far it might have ended up.
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-20 04:26
It looks like you finished doodling around at about 8:40 when the Mini was only 25 metres away and 15 metres up.
It must have been a windy day as at 9:16.8 when only 6 metres up, the Mini was having trouble holding position and was being blown away at 0.5-1 metre/sec.
At 10:09.7 and 20 metres up, it was drifting at about 1.7 m/s.

cool, you got me, I was in a flurry at that time... thanks for the analysis
2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solomon99 Posted at 11-20 04:33
cool, you got me, I was in a flurry at that time... thanks for the analysis

OK ... here's some rough figuring for an indication of where it's likely to have ended up.

Looking at the data for the time after it reached 70 metres altitude, it was burning battery at about 9 seconds per %.

It will have tried to RTH until the battery reached 5% and then will have autolanded.
That would have taken approx 121 seconds and at a speed of 4.2-5.2 m/s it could have drifted 500-630 metres further south and then a little more drift as it took 30 seconds to descend ... say about 100 metres extra.
The arrowheads show my estimated closest and furtherest end points down near Joyce Park and Chalmers Street.

The two words that come to mind are needle and haystack.

Mel-1.jpg
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-20 04:57
OK ... here's some rough figuring for an indication of where it's likely to have ended up.

Looking at the data for the time after it reached 70 metres altitude, it was burning battery at about 9 seconds per %.
[Image]

Really appreciate it, I will try the location. Have a nice weekend.

2020-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

If i put your flightlog data in my (FRAP) algorithm than it has landed at the orange marker.
Well, it must be close to that point, but within the red lines.

Hope you find it, did you put your tel number on the drone or on the sd card?

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-11-20
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

JJB* Posted at 11-20 05:19
Hiya,

If i put your flightlog data in my (FRAP) algorithm than it has landed at the orange marker.

really appreciate it, will try to put some posts over there.

I didn't put my contact info on the drone, it is an expensive lesson, will do it in the future.

2020-11-20
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Excellent analysis job!
2020-11-20
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

solomon99 Posted at 11-20 15:18
really appreciate it, will try to put some posts over there.

I didn't put my contact info on the drone, it is an expensive lesson, will do it in the future.

I hope you are able to find your Mini.

I have a P-Touch label right on top of my Mini with my name, E-Mail and phone number.  In case some one pulls out the uSD card, in the root of the card are four files.  One is: You Found Me.txt  That one has every way I could think of to contact me as the text of the file.  The other three have filenames of my E-Mail address, cellphone 1 and cellphone 2.  For example, a filename of 213-456-7890.txt and the text is a short message that also lists my phone number and a request to contact me.  That way, all they have to do is look at a listing of the files and they will see my contact methods - even if they don't try to read the files.
I also registered my Mini with the F.A.A. and have my FAA registration numbers P-Touch labeled on each side of the Mini.  If none of the other methods work, they could potentially contact the FAA who should be able to contact me (or at least knows how to).
I figure too much info in this case is a potentially good thing.
2020-11-20
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Sorry to know your lost.
If by unfortunate you don't find it, invest in the new Mini 2.
2020-11-20
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Outstanding analysis and hopefully you find your bird.
2020-11-20
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 11-20 05:19
Hiya,

[Image]

Is your algorithm your own creation?  You peeked my interests.
2020-11-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

These two guys (Lab and JJB) are good. Their independent analyses have the best places to start looking within maybe 200 feet of each other !
2020-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-20 19:40
Is your algorithm your own creation?  You peeked my interests.

yes....it is
2020-11-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-20 19:56
These two guys (Lab and JJB) are good. Their independent analyses have the best places to start looking within maybe 200 feet of each other !

Agree 100%.  Labroides and JJB can analyze flight data better than anybody else I've seen on the forum.  I like to read their analysis as there is always a lesson to be learned from them.  Stay safe and keep flying GaryDoug.
2020-11-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Sorry about your loss mate, hope you find it
2020-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

solomon99 Posted at 11-20 03:57
Hi Stephen,

Thanks  for reply, I will try, but it was happened 5 days ago, I guess there is few chance for me...

Hi there Eric. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have added. It will still be best to get in touch with our DJI support team for additional assistance with regards to this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and please stay safe always.
2020-11-23
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Just to say I'm impressed with Labroides and JJB respect guys.
Fortunately, there are people like you in the community. thanks
I hope you find your MM.
2020-11-23
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-23 22:16
Hi there Eric. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have added. It will still be best to get in touch with our DJI support team for additional assistance with regards to this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and please stay safe always.

Got it Stephen, will do it, thanks
2020-11-24
Use props
Skydiver021
lvl.4
Serbia

Did you find it ?
2020-11-24
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Not yet, It looks it is gone.
2020-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

solomon99 Posted at 11-24 20:28
Got it Stephen, will do it, thanks

Hi there Eric. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. .
2020-11-25
Use props
solomon99
lvl.1
Australia

Hi guys, thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, I didn't get the mini back;
I took an offer to get a drone with 15% discount from DJI.
all good now, will fly the mini carefully in the future......
2020-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules