Phantom 2 assistant
937 7 2020-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_3L8W6EDWGIOm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 867224 ft
United Kingdom

I have a straight phantom 2 i.e not vision or vision + can anyone tell me how to update the firmware please? Assistant for phantom off the. DJI website doesn't seem to connect so wondered whether their was an older version which has been removed
2020-11-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There is a zip file and an exe file.  Both are downloading perfectly as far as I can tell.  Chances are you have the current version already installed on your AC.  Most people these days with these old P2s don't realize that the FW hasn't been updated in half a decade - and that they already have the most current FW on their P2.  
https://www.dji.com/phantom-2/info#downloads

Good luck
2020-11-24
Use props
djiuser_3L8W6EDWGIOm
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok as i figured but i noticed that there are 2 versions 3.6 and 3.8. The 3.8 works perfectly for my Vision + but not the straight P2 just wondering whether this earlier version may work.
Also having a struggle finding batteries the couple of genuine ones i bought from ebay  had problems ie large differences in cell voltages and not holding charge, so i bought a Green Cell from Amazon but noticed that DJI don’t recommend using 3rd party batteries, any comment???
2020-11-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Sorry - I don't own a straight P2 and I don't know why the program wouldn't work for one P2 and not the other P2.  I guess it's possible if the P2's FW is ancient, then maybe the more modern 3.8 wouldn't work?  Both versions download successfully.  

Re batteries, it's a good policy to stick with a new DJI.  But if there are no new DJI batteries left in the world, another option is to find a good used DJI battery.  They are still out there, believe it or not, and they are still perfectly safe and usable provided the owner maintained them correctly.  So the trick is to find them which will be difficult and may be impossible since most P2 owners are not going to give up their good P2 batteries.  So then you have no other option but to buy aftermarket.  History has shown there have been plenty of aftermarket P2 batteries which will work just fine.  Some may even be better than the original stock battery.  There are also plenty of aftermarket batteries which will cause your P2 to fall from the sky without warning.  Aftermarket batteries are like a box of chocolates.  

So you need to do your research and try to get a good P2 battery which has good reviews and good feedback, then use it cautiously at first until you become familiar with it and you trust it.  I don't know anything about "Green Cell."  Good luck!

2020-11-25
Use props
djiuser_3L8W6EDWGIOm
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Have had the Vision + out earlier with the Green Cell battery seemed to work fine apart from when it gets to about 28% then it rapidly sinks to 7% this is after about 15mins of flying time but the DJI also does this so i guess its a common fault with the earlier P2s certainly my Mavic pro does not have those issues.
It’s cold at the moment so in the summer may see some improvement in flight times
2020-11-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

djiuser_3L8W6EDWGIOm Posted at 11-25 07:16
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Have had the Vision + out earlier with the Green Cell battery seemed to work fine apart from when it gets to about 28% then it rapidly sinks to 7% this is after about 15mins of flying time but the DJI also does this so i guess its a common fault with the earlier P2s certainly my Mavic pro does not have those issues.
It’s cold at the moment so in the summer may see some improvement in flight times

A battery that drops from 28% to 7% has issues.  They're not supposed to do that.  I had one that did exactly that a long time ago and I retired it.  I still have the video somewhere on youtube.  As far battery temp, start with a battery between 20C and 25C and you'll be fine.  Always launch with a fully charged battery.  Good luck
2020-11-27
Use props
djiuser_3L8W6EDWGIOm
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I hear what you say Mark but both batteries behave the same way on the vision + but not on the straight P2. Just wondering whether it has something to do with the DJI vision + app,. Just as an experiment may try flying using the Litchi free vision + Android App and see if it occurs on this.
Will let you know how it goes

2020-11-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

For the record, the flight app has nothing to do with the battery.  The battery sends power to the aircraft and it sends data to the aircraft.  You can fly with the DJI flight app, the Litchi flight app, or no flight app at all and the battery will behave exactly the same; it is not affected in any way.  Good luck.
2020-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules