I think Mini 1 video actually looks better than Mini 2
1000 12 2020-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

I sold my Mini 1 and bought the Mini 2, so I have no reason to say bad things about it.  The Mini 2 is the clear winner when it comes to range, wind resistance, noise level and zoom capability.  But, when it comes to video color quality, I noticed the colors in the Mini 1 look bright and alive compared to the Mini 2, which looks a little dull. See example below.
Credit: Captain Drone. Comparison starts at 21:00 mark

2020-11-20
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

they will fix it in a year somewhere Or waiting for Mini 3 with correct colors
2020-11-20
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Looking at the side by side, the mini 1 is over exposed while the mini 2 is doing a better job, think if the picture had Zeba's. His forehead on the mini 1 would be beginning to clip, while the same shot on the mini 2's exposure is lower making the overall image appear to be darker. If you take a screen shot and bring it into lightroom and adjust brightness to match the mini 1 the colors are almost identical.

I bet if he put the exposure point on his forehead both mini's would accurately expose.
2020-11-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2020-11-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Thanks for sharing
2020-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Probably needs some tweaking!
2020-11-21
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-21 05:39
Looking at the side by side, the mini 1 is over exposed while the mini 2 is doing a better job, think if the picture had Zeba's. His forehead on the mini 1 would be beginning to clip, while the same shot on the mini 2's exposure is lower making the overall image appear to be darker. If you take a screen shot and bring it into lightroom and adjust brightness to match the mini 1 the colors are almost identical.

I bet if he put the exposure point on his forehead both mini's would accurately expose.

I guess it's a matter of preference.  When I look at his forehead in the side by side, it looks brighter, not overexposed.
2020-11-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mini 2 has more detail in the clouds.  
2020-11-21
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I found a similar experience when using a friends Mavic Pro 2 and Air 2 before buying my own.  I thought the Air 2 photos and videos unedited had superior color contrast and vibrance.  

According to a video teardown of the Mini 2 it uses some of the same camera part numbers.  Hopefully this is fixable.  

The Air and Mini are geared more towards non-professionals so I would hope that DJI will shift the balance of photos and video more in the directions of shoot and share than editing.
2020-11-21
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

trader6777 Posted at 11-21 13:05
I guess it's a matter of preference.  When I look at his forehead in the side by side, it looks brighter, not overexposed.

Same same but different.

It is brighter....but it's because of a different exposure point causing the image to be brighter. If the same exposure point was used both images would be the same, the mini 1 just so happened to set it's exposure off a darker part of the image.

Unless he was in manual mode we have no way of knowing how the image was made to be brighter but from personal use of the mini 1 it was a slight oversight on his part that would of made things more apples to apples. You see a brighter image and think that looks better, I see an image that's not set equal across both so the mini 1 is a bit brighter but not necessarily better.
2020-11-21
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

I have both the drones, and when comparing them I maybee will say the MM have slightly more contrast in the pictures and also some crispier/sharpness by default.
The Mini2 have little more dynamic range in the pictures when I evaluate them very hard side by side.

I will think the picture processing is slightly different in these drones, even if the camera is the same from beginning.

My thoughts...
2020-11-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The mini 2 seems to have more accurate colours out the box which should give more scope when editing.
2020-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there trader6777. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with us here at DJI Forum with regards to this matter. In addition to this I will post a link where you can also compare the specifications of both the DJI Mavic Mini and the DJI Mini 2 ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you and fly safe always.

2020-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules