How to fly safely over water in Tripod mode.
827 14 2020-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

I would like to fly in Tripod mode over water and am a bit confused over how this works as safely as possible and settings for the Mavic 2 Pro. The reason to fly over water is so that I can film the beach and a small island from outside the island and from above. This is the main reason I bought the drone for.

1. I disable the down wards sensor so that the drone can not initiate a self landing if coming too low. Is this the right thing to do?

2. If downwards sensors are disabled when taking off, what happens to the home point? Is a home point set or does it still us the barometer and GPS to come home but not land if I press RTH? Or do I have to steer the drone home and land it manually?

3. What happens if the drone loses the remote controllers signal in this case when it is out ower the water 50-100m? What will the drone do? I could not set the drone to hover, as I would not be able to get out on the water to pick it up.

4. I will increase low battery warning to 35% or more, in order to make sure I have enough battery to come home.

4. Is there anything else important that I should think of setting on the drone?

I would very much appreciate any assistance with the best settings and reasons for this.
  Kind regards.
Tony
2020-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tips!
2020-11-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent tips
2020-11-21
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hi guys,
Thanks for your replies, but I wonder if someone could please answer 2 of my questions, which I am not sure of how they work.

2. If downwards sensors are disabled when taking off, what happens to the home point? Is a home point set or does it still us the barometer and GPS to come home but not land if I press RTH? Or do I have to steer the drone home and land it manually?

3. What happens if the drone loses the remote controllers signal in this case when it is out over the water 50-100m? What will the drone do? I could not set the drone to hover, as I would not be able to get out on the water to pick it up.

Kind regards
Tony
2020-11-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

2. If downwards sensors are disabled when taking off, what happens to the home point?
Nothing at all.
It will make no difference to your home point.

3. What happens if the drone loses the remote controllers signal in this case when it is out ower the water 50-100m? What will the drone do? I could not set the drone to hover, as I would not be able to get out on the water to pick it up
Exactly the same as what happens if you were to lose signal over solid ground.

4. Is there anything else important that I should think of setting on the drone?
No .. flying over water is just like flying over land, but safer because there are a lot less trees and buildings.

Thanks for the tips !!
Shows how much those guys read the posts that they give those nothing responses to.

2020-11-22
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

just what I was thinking, WHAT TIPS
2020-11-22
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 11-22 00:15
2. If downwards sensors are disabled when taking off, what happens to the home point?
Nothing at all.
It will make no difference to your home point.

G´day mate, Many thanks for your reply. I now think I understand that, the drone will come home to HomePoint, but will not be able to do a precision landing, as that is not possible due to that the drone was not able to take a picture over the take off point due to that the downward sensors were not activated.
Thanks again Labroides.
2020-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kyalami Posted at 11-22 01:19
G´day mate, Many thanks for your reply. I now think I understand that, the drone will come home to HomePoint, but will not be able to do a precision landing, as that is not possible due to that the drone was not able to take a picture over the take off point due to that the downward sensors were not activated.
Thanks again Labroides.

Yes ... the drone could still autoland within a metre or two of the homepoint using GPS or you could land it yourself wherever you wanted to.
2020-11-22
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 11-22 03:06
Yes ... the drone could still autoland within a metre or two of the homepoint using GPS or you could land it yourself wherever you wanted to.

Thanks very much again Labroids and for that confirmation. Now I feel much better about flying over water, as well as how it all works. I am very new on using a drone and have only flown a few Km on an open field to learn the sticks. But now winter is coming here in Sweden, so I am studying all manuals and replied here in the forum back to the start. So when there is something I do not understand, I use the forum, which seam very good and with many helpful people. Used to live 32 years in Sydney, but decided to move back home when I retired. Cheers Tony
2020-11-22
Use props
xagoras
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

Exactly. Home Point is registered through the GPS. You need the VPS to get the Precision Landing. You need to take off vertically and let the craft hover at around 7-8m above the take off spot for it to work properly, before flying away.

Then you can close the sensors, do what you want to do and before you land, you can open the sensors again for landing.
2020-11-22
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

xagoras Posted at 11-22 03:43
Exactly. Home Point is registered through the GPS. You need the VPS to get the Precision Landing. You need to take off vertically and let the craft hover at around 7-8m above the take off spot for it to work properly, before flying away.

Then you can close the sensors, do what you want to do and before you land, you can open the sensors again for landing.

Hello xagoras, Much appreciated with the extra information about home point. Now this is confirmed for me, as I was not 100% sure how and where this happened. Many thanks xagoras.
Tony
2020-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kyalami. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this informative tips with us. In addition, I will post a DJI Forum link where in you can see some information on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-181878-1-1.html
2020-11-22
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-22 21:46
Hello there kyalami. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this informative tips with us. In addition, I will post a DJI Forum link where in you can see some information on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-181878-1-1.html

Many thanks indeed Dji Stephen for the reply and the link about how to fly safe over water and to both DJI Panda and AirButterflyDrone with excellent explanations and details. I feel much more confident now when I fully understand how everything works. As soon as I get out of this Covid restrictions and can fly far south, I will put up a short video. Many thanks again. Cheers.
2020-11-23
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

One of these days, I will get braver and fly further out in open water.  Whenever I did, I get the trembles.
2020-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

kyalami Posted at 11-23 06:47
Many thanks indeed Dji Stephen for the reply and the link about how to fly safe over water and to both DJI Panda and AirButterflyDrone with excellent explanations and details. I feel much more confident now when I fully understand how everything works. As soon as I get out of this Covid restrictions and can fly far south, I will put up a short video. Many thanks again. Cheers.

Hi there kyalami. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. .
2020-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules