Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Pocket 2 having the same codec problem as the Osmo Pocket 1 ?
6310 11 2020-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
titust1
lvl.2
Canada

Everybody had serious issues what editing the 4K 60 fps footage from the Osmo Pocket 1 (the youtube and the internet is full of people complaining about this, including myself). No matter how powerfull your computer is or what software you're using for editing, the footage is impossible to edit, not scrubbing smoothly, and with serious lag, losing frames on playback. DJI cannot deny this, it is a well known issue and it is reproduceable. 4K 60 fps footage from the DJI competitors Gopro, iPhone, etc. DO NOT have this issue.Actually I had to return a brand new 2019 27" iMac to Apple be cause I could not edit the 4K 60 fps footage on it. My Gopro 4K 60 footage could be edited just fine.
Most of the youtube videos talked about a DJI codec issue and recommend using proxies on expensive software Adobe Premiere Pro.
I intend to buy a Pocket 2 and and a DJI Mini 2, but I won't do this before I have the confirmation from these product owners that I won't have the same issues as with the Pocket 1.
My question is:
Are the DJI Pocket 2, and the DJI Mini 2 footage having the same codec issues?

Thanks a lot guys
2020-11-21
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

I didn’t aware this problem.

My Pocket 1 and Pocket 2 footages runs and scrubbing fine on my Windows PC with Premiere Pro. I am using 4 year old PC with Ryzen 7 1700 with GTX1080.
(Although everyone’s definition of normal or smoothness in editing is different especially between PC and Mac)

Pocket’s codec is nothing special. It is normal H.264 with 100mbps.
In comparison, GoPro and iPhone is HEVC(H.265) at 4K 60P with GoPro 75Mbps and iPhone 54Mbps.

H.264 at “100Mbps” is not easy codec unless with decent spec PC but at least HEVC is heavier codec and need higher spec PC.

It looks like your Mac has better HEVC decoder and prefer HEVC codec. But in general Pocket’s codec is just normal for editing.
2020-11-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

To add To Tide's comment.
I use Pocket footage with Movie Edit Pro Premium, Vegas, and and Video Pro X, all without difficulty. Whereas Go Pro 9 footage, along with most phone footage using variable frame footage with H265 variants causes nothing but complaints among Windows users and files have to be converted first with Handbrake or similar before the files can be used.
Apple product users seem to have more difficulty with such files that have high bit rates and using H264 but less with the H265 variants that PC users have more difficulty dealing with.
The two systems just don't seem to be compatible and that is down mainly to decisions Apple made about how they want their platform to operate which is within their right to do.
I don't think that will change any time soon.
Ray.

[Edit]
I have just been talking to my son who uses both Go Pro and Pocket footage and is using the Filmora software package for his editing on Windows. Filmora is also available for Mac but I don't know if it will cope as well on that platform. It may be worth using a trail version to see if it works better with the Pocket files.

2020-11-22
Use props
heightoffield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2670423 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

I edit my P2 videos on a 2-3 year old gaming PC (8900 i5, GTX1080, 32gm Ram), with no problem. I think you just have to let go of the mac. Editing videos demands powerful computers, and you get a better PC for the fraction of the money spent on a rubbish mac.
2020-11-23
Use props
titust1
lvl.2
Canada

Tide Posted at 11-21 21:12
I didn’t aware this problem.

My Pocket 1 and Pocket 2 footages runs and scrubbing fine on my Windows PC with Premiere Pro. I am using 4 year old PC with Ryzen 7 1700 with GTX1080.

I was clearly speaking about 4K 60fps footage..... not any footage, not 1080 or 2K footage.
The proof of these problems is overwhelming:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=176543

2020-11-23
Use props
titust1
lvl.2
Canada

heightoffield Posted at 11-23 10:04
I edit my P2 videos on a 2-3 year old gaming PC (8900 i5, GTX1080, 32gm Ram), with no problem. I think you just have to let go of the mac. Editing videos demands powerful computers, and you get a better PC for the fraction of the money spent on a rubbish mac.

FYI guys I have both a Mac and a Windows PC, I have tried everything.
    PC - Core i7 7700K Nvidia GTX1080 32GB ram, daVinci Resolve, and Filmora (I don't have enough money to pay for Adobe Premiere expensive rubbish)
    iMac - core i5 2019 16GB RAM  iMovie
Someone said I should let go the Mac and use Windows? The truth is the iMac with iMovie performed better than the Windows PC.I can easily edit and scrubb through foortage from my son's GoPro 8 4k 60fpt with both of the above.
These are not imaginary issues that I simply invented myself, see my above post for just a few examples and other people mentioning it.
If there are any moderators here working for DJI to say that everything is perfect... with DJI products, they should abstain.
I just want honest opinions

2020-11-23
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have any probs w/ Osmo footage @ 60FPS either on my Blackintosh or my 11" iPad Pro.

Machine: Blackintosh i7 6700k - 4.0ghz - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB - MacOS10.12.6 - EVGA GeForce GTX1070 8GB - Dell P2715Q

Storage: GDrive 6TB USB 3.0 • Samsung 1TB SSD T7 • Gnarbox 512GB

USB Bus: 3.0,3.1
Software: LumaFusion - iPad Pro • Resolve - Mac
2020-11-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

titust1 Posted at 11-23 10:16
I was clearly speaking about 4K 60fps footage..... not any footage, not 1080 or 2K footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THb8RNymdYQ
Hey Titust1, I am just trying to help.

I was also specifically talking about 4K 60P because GoPro and iPhone has lower bitrate in other fps settings.

So I watched all video and forum post you linked.

1. Worth it or not's video is talking about he has smooth editing with mp.4 but not in mov. (Which is strange as it is just a mere container difference as he mentioned in his video but anyway)
And advising to use mp.4 insteat of mov...

Not really pointing out any Specific problem of the codec of Pocket 1 and people of comment section also seems fine with their editing. It so seems...

2. Drone Pilot Pro's video is talking that he's editing mechine works so so but his MBP 2011 is having hard time. And he resolved this by using Final cut pro and buying new iMac.

Also not specifically talking about codec problem.

3. Vic Barry's video is talking about using a proxy for weak editing machine . Not a codec problem.

4. 614Lyfe's video also talking about general proxy use not code
2020-11-23
Use props
titust1
lvl.2
Canada

Gulfstream Posted at 11-23 11:56
I don't have any probs w/ Osmo footage @ 60FPS either on my Blackintosh or my 11" iPad Pro.

Machine: Blackintosh i7 6700k - 4.0ghz - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB - MacOS10.12.6 - EVGA GeForce GTX1070 8GB - Dell P2715Q

What software on the Mac? iMovie? or FC Pro?
What encapsulation did you use when recording? MOV or MP4
2020-11-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Continue from previous comment...

5. Forum post from alex is saying he sloved his problem by optimizing his davinci resolve's cache setting.

He used to editing fine with his 60Mbps Mavic pro footage but had issue with Pocket's 100Mbps which is resolved.

So in my opinion, none of above is talking specifically or trying to bring up any codec bug of Pocket 1.

I am not trying disagree with you. Just trying to get the accurate picture of your problem to find a solution.

So in my own experience of editing Pocket's footage and from my humble knowledge on codec & editing optimization, Pocket's codec is heavy because it uses 100Mbps for better detail but it is not abnormal given the spec of the codec.

I think it would be difficult to solve your editing problem from codec abnomally perspective. I am sure you do have a choppy editing problem and seems your PC and Mac is more than well equiped to handle the H.264 100Mbps codec with ease.

My hunch is media cache optimization.
2020-11-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

I also had very choppy editing problem before. It edit with no problem for years but choppiness struck out of blue.

Same PC, same H.264 100Mbps files... but still problem happens and with any editing program  this difference can happen.

From my research, my problem was media cache bottleneck.

So I moved my editor's media cache folder to differnent disk and the bottleneck was solved.

Then many hiccups come and go for past years. Editing software is not perfect and so as our machine environment.

Codec is a standard and it would not be realistic to ask change the codec to solve a problem.
2020-11-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

titust1 Posted at 11-23 12:31
What software on the Mac? iMovie? or FC Pro?
What encapsulation did you use when recording? MOV or MP4

To add to some of Tides' comments.
I record MP4 rather than mov on the pocket because I use a Windows PC and mov. needs QuickTime on the system to work.  As Apple have not updated QuickTime for Windows now for a long time I just don't bother with mov files. There is QuickTime alternative which works but not well on my machine.
How you set up a video editor can have a large impact on how it behaves.  Most NLEs for Windows rely heavily on having an Intel GPU within the CPU so Ryzen machines have more problems.
However,even an Intel machine can have problems if a second graphics card has been installed and the Intel GPU has been switched off in the bios. That happens mainly when the PC either has only one monitor or if it has two monitors they are both connected to the secondary graphics cards' ports.
Some pre-built machines with separate graphics cards will have the Intel GPU turned off as default in the bios. Without an Intel GPU most of the 3D rendering is then switched to the CPU which slows and sometimes freezes the program. Your PC should be able to cope easily if your Intel chips Intel® UHD Graphics 630 is active and has the latest UHD drivers (not the game ready drivers) and your Editing software is set up to use it as it's primary GPU. For 4K editing any additional NVIDIA card should support Direct X 11.1 or preferably Direct X 12 and have at least 4GB of vram and use the NVIDIA Turing™ architecture for the most reliable payback and encoding experience.

[Edit]

Any additional video card will not have the same effect as having an Intel GPU within a system. Even the most capable nvidia card will not have as good as an effect as having the Intel GPU active but will help with playback and HEVC hardware encoding on export on some NLEs. Radon cards cannot help due to the way video shading is handled within the NLE. For that the card must be capable of using NVENC.

Ray.

2020-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules