30618 128 2020-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blithe74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254367 ft
Russia

fans922463ce Posted at 12-1 04:19
And also when I push joystick for forward direction, drone is not flying straight , is slightly turning to the right (just very little) but turning.
RC, Imu, and compass are calibrated of course.

The problem with flying sideways in an arc instead of a rectilinear flight (the right joystick is strictly forward, the left is released) is not singular.
On the Russian-language forum 4PDA all users who have already received Mini 2 note the presence of this problem.
In addition, another mass problem was discovered, that was not in the Mavic Mini - poor position retention. Mini 2 moves to the left/right, forward/back, up/down and rotated to to the left/right. Mini 1 under the same conditions hung in the air as if it had been nailed.I think it software problems, and DJI programmers will fix them.

With best regards, Alexandr.

2020-12-6
Use props
SipSip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 378510 ft
Canada

Blithe74 Posted at 12-6 07:18
The problem with flying sideways in an arc instead of a rectilinear flight (the right joystick is strictly forward, the left is released) is not singular.
On the Russian-language forum 4PDA all users who have already received Mini 2 note the presence of this problem.
In addition, another mass problem was discovered, that was not in the Mavic Mini - poor position retention. Mini 2 moves to the left/right, forward/back, up/down and rotated to to the left/right. Mini 1 under the same conditions hung in the air as if it had been nailed.I think it software problems, and DJI programmers will fix them.

Not sure I agree since there are people who don't have this problem.
2020-12-6
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 976798 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_0lEa2BIT6nQ9 Posted at 12-5 14:47
Having the same issue. Brand new just arrived Tuesday direct from DJI.

Send in the email to request replacement.

If a batch of sensors are the problem, DJI should relate these to specific serial numbers of the Mini 2.
2020-12-7
Use props
Dryvise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10869498 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Update of my case.
DJI support told:
If this issue persists before every flight, please kindly send the device to DJI repair center in China for further diagnosis and repair.
I'm more and more inclined the reason was the poor quality batch of the IMU, because it is obvious that the problem is widespread, but not everyone has it.
2020-12-7
Use props
buehlerbg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 11-28 12:29
No it is not an "unfinished product that they rushed for Christmas". Yes maybe YOU, and a couple of others here are having issues, but there are many thousands of us who are having no problem at all with our Mini 2 and are absolutely loving every minute we have it in the air. Perhaps you just got unlucky, or it is some 'user error' contributing to what you are experiencing. Just sayin'.

How do you know there are "thousands?"   Does dji send you sales figures?  I think not.
2020-12-7
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

Some flights further only 'IMU attitude error' appear after landing, but disappear at once by lifting the Mini. That's even the case with 'IMU calibration required', which disappear without any action. I've not yet found in any misbehaviour in flying, but have worries about these alerts of which I contacted DJI.  
2020-12-8
Use props
Serhii Slipushenko
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7795459 ft
Ukraine

I had same symptoms - IMU errors out of the box.  
According to the local DJI authorized service such behavior is just ok. "We didn't find anything wrong with our drone" - they literally said.
Here is the example of spinning in place:
So now, it means 2 months of waiting on a drone replacement, if I'm lucky.
2020-12-8
Use props
SipSip
lvl.2
Canada

It's a strange error. I don't think their factory test catches it.

For me, if all I do is hover around after IMU cal, up to lots of short movements close to the ground, it is all fine. The moment I let it fly high and faster it starts having problems. I doubt they are properly flight tested at the factory. It almost feels like the IMU sensors have some sort of accumulation error. For my drone it appears to be related to the gyros as it eventually tilts itself to one side. And it seem to happen after some flight distance so I figure it means the roll axis gyro gets screwed up from the tilt axis being tilted for forward flight. But that's just my guessing.
2020-12-8
Use props
DeanB
lvl.1
Canada

I also just tried my first flights today and was forced to recalibrate after every time I tried to fly again after landing. - should I return my drone???
2020-12-8
Use props
SipSip
lvl.2
Canada

Do you want to keep doing that? Simple question. It shouldn't do that.
2020-12-8
Use props
Sharkoon
lvl.1

Germany

restart the drone and maybe also RC controller
when RC ready, push motor start right away
i no longer get an error, everything now works fine
2020-12-8
Use props
DeanB
lvl.1
Canada

So today I did my 2nd test flights with the new Mini 2. I still get the "IMU not calibrated" after I have picked up the Drone after a flight. I found if I put it down and waited a few minutes the  "IMU not calibrated" would go away. Another time today I turned the drone on and off and that seem to work as well.... I sure hope DJI can come up with a fix soon as doing what I did today to keep going was a pain in the butt...
I really don't want to return this drone if I don't have to.
** Code 30050: IMU calibration required. Calibrate IMU
- In the settings, find the IMU calibration function and calibrate according to the instructions. If it does not help, repair or replace the gps module.

** Code 30055: IMU not calibrated. Calibrate IMU
- Repeat the same steps as with the Code 30050 error.
2020-12-10
Use props
DeanB
lvl.1
Canada

** Code 30050: IMU calibration required. Calibrate IMU
- In the settings, find the IMU calibration function and calibrate according to the instructions. If it does not help, repair or replace the gps module.

** Code 30055: IMU not calibrated. Calibrate IMU
- Repeat the same steps as with the Code 30050 error.
2020-12-10
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

sadly I can confirm same problems :/
new mini2, out of box>>activation+updates done
1st flight, >>> IMU errors when landed. You need to go calibrate procedure. then again next flight ends, drone lands, and same screen errors as on attached by others screenshots apppear!
also drone have big problems with keeping steady position, drifting little by little to right (in last flight that was AGAINST wind...) really dissapointed with this drone. small factor (ok, controller is damn big compared to others), rather quiet (I got mavic air to compare, so almost any drone is quieter then angryy air1 bee)
oh ye, and air1 in same location (had it with me too, to compare them) flies no problem, so any outside interference is not a topic!
2020-12-12
Use props
Dryvise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10869498 ft
  • >>>
Russia

KREMi Posted at 12-12 08:05
sadly I can confirm same problems :/
new mini2, out of box>>activation+updates done
1st flight, >>> IMU errors when landed. You need to go calibrate procedure. then again next flight ends, drone lands, and same screen errors as on attached by others screenshots apppear!

Don't bother. They will still say that we want to discredit DJI ))
2020-12-12
Use props
lajaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

I had this same problem with a brand new mini 2 purchased yesterday.  Have exchanged it for a new one at the retailer in hopes that it was a bad sample.
2020-12-12
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

lajaro Posted at 12-12 10:08
I had this same problem with a brand new mini 2 purchased yesterday.  Have exchanged it for a new one at the retailer in hopes that it was a bad sample.

Keep us informed about the new one.
2020-12-12
Use props
Tamaacutes Olajos
New

Hungary

I’m having problem as well. My first couple of flights went well but on the next day IMU calibration was needed. After calibration I noticed in the air that the gimbal has moved so the horizont wasn’t right. New calbiration of compas, IMU, gimbal, then the gimbal tilted to the right again in the air. Another calibration later the drone started drifting and it still does that. Doesn’t give any error codes but after 2-3 minutes in air it starts drifting and one of the motors seems to be moving differently (?).
Waiting for a new firmware might help but I’m thinking of getting an exchange.
2020-12-12
Use props
lajaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

Robert20 Posted at 12-12 10:44
Keep us informed about the new one.

so far after a half dozen 1 minute flights inside, I’ve yet to be prompted for an IMU calibration.  it is asking for a compass calibration, but I suspect that’s because it can’t get a GPS fix.

So tl;dr so far, so good.
2020-12-12
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

lajaro Posted at 12-12 11:35
so far after a half dozen 1 minute flights inside, I’ve yet to be prompted for an IMU calibration.  it is asking for a compass calibration, but I suspect that’s because it can’t get a GPS fix.

So tl;dr so far, so good.

Thanks. I hope outside the message will stay away. DJI instructed me to calibrate the IMU in a low temperature environment. Not clear why, but I've done so. No calibrations required so far, but sometimes still the message IMU attitude error. Mini operate fine, so I ignore the message.
2020-12-12
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have posted many times that an IMU calibration is the most invasive thing you can do to your drone. for an end user it should be only done if requested by the application and done according to the instructions that most people do not understand. You need to have a flat level surface that is level by an appropriate spirit level not a phone app that in itself need calibration. IMU calibrations without being asked to by the app will most likely make your drone fly worse rather than better.
2020-12-13
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

bjr981s Posted at 12-13 01:42
I have posted many times that an IMU calibration is the most invasive thing you can do to your drone. for an end user it should be only done if requested by the application and done according to the instructions that most people do not understand. You need to have a flat level surface that is level by an appropriate spirit level not a phone app that in itself need calibration. IMU calibrations without being asked to by the app will most likely make your drone fly worse rather than better.

Good explanation, but the IMU problems arose right after unpacking the box. The manual says nothing how to calibrate the IMU, only the compass. I.e. DJI told me to calibrate at a lower temperature. Why?
2020-12-13
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99649 ft
United Kingdom

I have been having this issue since I bought it. For me, it's every time I pull it out of the bag after not using it for about a week, it wants IMU and compass calibrations. I don't mind the compass, especially as my location might be different but the IMU is very annoying and takes ages to do, not to mention there is probably no handy surface that is guaranteed level.

I have done it on a levelled surface at home but then, a few days later it asks again. It's fine if flying subsequent batteries.

My Mavic Pro is 4 years old and has only had one or two IMU calibrations the whole time, mainly because I decided to do them, not sure it's ever asked for one.

It's becoming very annoying as I sometimes have just a few minutes to pull it out for a photo and I waste those minutes doing yet another IMU calibration.

I don't think I have seen any error codes, it simply asks for it before it will fly.
2020-12-13
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Robert20 Posted at 12-13 02:18
Good explanation, but the IMU problems arose right after unpacking the box. The manual says nothing how to calibrate the IMU, only the compass. I.e. DJI told me to calibrate at a lower temperature. Why?

There are manuals on the IMU calibration but they are in different DJI Drones. I cant remember which ones off hand.

If you just go to the correct IMU calibration menu item it should show you the current readings for X,Y and Z. If these are wandering around it needs a calibration.

I have been flying DJI flight controllers for years including the NAZA and Wookong for both drones and Hells.

I have never including my current count of Phantoms, M2s, MA.s Sparks and Minis been asked to do an IMU calibration. I have had to do ones on other racing drones as I dislodged the IMU in a hard landing.

If you are getting an IMU error from a brand new unflown drone then there has been either a shipping drop to dislodge the IMU or the IMU is faulty.

Either way take advantage of your warranty and return to DJI.
The IMU can get very hot on power up. Its best to let it cool down before performing the calibration. This was specifcally mentioned in the NAZA documentation.

2020-12-13
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Serhii Slipushenko Posted at 12-8 13:42
I had same symptoms - IMU errors out of the box.  
According to the local DJI authorized service such behavior is just ok. "We didn't find anything wrong with our drone" - they literally said.
Here is the example of spinning in place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMwjvsNbSRI

To me this looks like you are flying above a reflective surface. Like snow.

Vision system cannot get a ground lock.

Not enough sats for a GPS lock. Compass not correctly calibrated.

And just too plain cold to be flying a mini 2 drone. You need something like a Mavic 2 Pro to fly in these conditions.
2020-12-13
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

bjr981s Posted at 12-13 22:33
To me this looks like you are flying above a reflective surface. Like snow.

Vision system cannot get a ground lock.

I can not speak in every case, but really there are some ppl that got enough experience who did confirm real IMU/other problems (me included)
and I assure You - in my case no snow, temperature is still in drone limit around + 5-8 celcius, all req. calubrations or satelites are in place...

@vid author - very strange behavior, that hiccups - I doubt it's snow reflection

2020-12-14
Use props
fans922463ce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 665860 ft
Slovakia

As I wrote in post no.32, I had a problems with imu calibration few weeks ago. I did IMU calibration outside in low temperature at abt.5 Celsius and after that , I refreshed RC firmware via DJI Assistant 2 for consumers drones . I do not know why, but it helped. I did couple of flights after that at different places (also same places where the calibration was required before) and so far no problems at all , except not absolutely straight forward flight. But this I can handle with joysticks.
2020-12-14
Use props
djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 12-13 22:25
There are manuals on the IMU calibration but they are in different DJI Drones. I cant remember which ones off hand.

If you just go to the correct IMU calibration menu item it should show you the current readings for X,Y and Z. If these are wandering around it needs a calibration.

Fantastic post and advice here and you are exactly 100% correct.

There just seem to be a handful of posters here who have some kind of ridiculous obsession with feeling the need to repeatedly undertake IMU calibrations on their drones, especially the Mini 2. Why?! For goodness sake, just get out there and fly the thing and stop all this "oh my god my Mini 2 is drifting to the right by 5cm what am I gonna do. Oh I know, I must do the 100th IMU calibration again"!
2020-12-14
Use props
JCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 433173 ft
  • >>>
United States

After about five flights, I'm starting to have the same IMU error.

Edit: after the firmware update today, no IMU errors so far.

2020-12-26
Use props
djiuser_E3qmZ3OdgMJV
lvl.1

Germany

Looks like I have the same issue with my Mini2. Worked well during the last weeks, but since a few days it requests the IMU calibration after almost every flight.
Is it possible that it's a temperature issue? If i start the drone inside my livingroom I have no problem at all. Outside on the other hand at 2-3° Celsius it always requests that IMU calibration.
2020-12-29
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_E3qmZ3OdgMJV Posted at 12-29 10:50
Looks like I have the same issue with my Mini2. Worked well during the last weeks, but since a few days it requests the IMU calibration after almost every flight.
Is it possible that it's a temperature issue? If i start the drone inside my livingroom I have no problem at all. Outside on the other hand at 2-3° Celsius it always requests that IMU calibration.

Any changes after the firmware update today?
2020-12-29
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_E3qmZ3OdgMJV Posted at 12-29 10:50
Is it possible that it's a temperature issue? If i start the drone inside my livingroom I have no problem at all. Outside on the other hand at 2-3° Celsius it always requests that IMU calibration.

I had the same thing happen at 4 °C. Once it was back in the house, no IMU problems.
2020-12-29
Use props
djiuser_E3qmZ3OdgMJV
lvl.1

Germany

Skatin_Tater Posted at 12-29 17:22
Any changes after the firmware update today?

Did the update just a few minutes ago.
Seems like nothing has changed. When I start up the drone outside at around 4° Celsius I geht the IMU calibration error. Inside I get no error at all.
I can do that a couple of times in a row on my balcony. When I put it outside and wait 5-10 minutes to cool down, I geht the calibration error right after starting the drone. I take the drone turned on inside and while it is warming up, the error dissapears.
The error is also not there when I start the drone inside at 22° Celsius.

I've raised a support ticket. Let's see what they will tell me.
2020-12-30
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_E3qmZ3OdgMJV Posted at 12-30 04:33
Did the update just a few minutes ago.
Seems like nothing has changed. When I start up the drone outside at around 4° Celsius I geht the IMU calibration error. Inside I get no error at all.
I can do that a couple of times in a row on my balcony. When I put it outside and wait 5-10 minutes to cool down, I geht the calibration error right after starting the drone. I take the drone turned on inside and while it is warming up, the error dissapears.

Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted.
2020-12-31
Use props
fans4e2586cd
lvl.1

United States

CC8877 Posted at 12-1 02:14
I'm sorry for you but NO.

It's not an user problem. I'm flying DJI drones from phantom2. And no, I never had an IMU errors like these before. And I never calibrated an IMU in a drone.

Add me to this growing list of Mini 2 users who are having the same issue. I fly various DJI drones for a living and have never experienced this issue before. I sent my new Mini 2 in for evaluation.
2020-12-31
Use props
djiuser_NMEGPFEC1Ic8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

Some reminders for those with IMU issues.... make sure you calibrate the two joysticks using the calibration in FlyMe app. I have a 4 week old MINI2 and no issues before or after firmware updates up to the latest on the 28th. The latest does cure the DNG and color streak in 4K videos and RAW  pano shot uneven color balance. It also seems to have a more stable link to the drone.
Next do the compass calibration. Neither of these will make any difference to the IMU issue but I think many people are skipping all these calibrations. Make sure you have the latest firmware update AND the latest Fly Me app update. If you have an Android phone, the update at the Play Store is NOT the latest one. You need to go to DJI and download it.
Now back to the IMU issue......if you hand catch your drone and flip it on its side to shut the motors off.....that will cause an IMU error and believe you will than need to recalibrate the IMU. So don't hand catch or if you do use joysticks to shut the engines down.  I recommend getting one of the folding landing pads and take off and land using it. I think you will find less issues.
2020-12-31
Use props
djiuser_BAXrLsKQWW3E
New
Flight distance : 39974 ft
Denmark

I am also struggling with my mini 2.
I am considering the possibility of temperature messing with the IMU. The reason for that thought is, that if I boot it up in the house, everything (except for the gps signal) seems fine. But when I take it outside, even for a one minute flight, after the landing the IMU codes 30055 and 30084 appear on the screen.
2021-1-3
Use props
isdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2251119 ft
United Kingdom

I also have the same issue - could be temperature related as it is 2 degrees here.

Firmware and app fully up to date.

brand new drone - so it can go back to Amazon if this is going to continue and I will fly my MA2 instead.

Noticed in very little wind it was not very stable either. Didn't feel confident in the short test flight to only 4m in height!

Average wind speed was 1.7 mph and the gust reached 3.7 mph!!

Not happy with it.....

2021-1-4
Use props
djiuser_E3qmZ3OdgMJV
lvl.1

Germany

Skatin_Tater Posted at 2020-12-31 10:02
Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted.

Support told me to send the drone in for repair.
Let's see if they find anything.
2021-1-7
Use props
djiuser_LL3r0kM6TaGG
lvl.1
Germany

Hi, i've the same issue with IMU. I think it comes because of the lower temperature. My M2 is just a month old and i just had two runs outside with it. On the colder day (today) the IMU issue comes up. Then I did the IMU calibration at home and it was successfull. Testflight Indoor was successfull too. I hope dji will fix it...

2021-1-10
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules