5612 68 2020-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having read many posts and watched many videos it seems clear that DJI's Mavic Mini Fly more case is the cause of the Motor ESC speed etc error and indeed many people loosing their Mini's.

If the case supplied is causing the issue (and I am sure it is) then surely the case is Unfit for Purpose....................... Sooooooooooo

Anyone else think that DJI should support their valued customers in this regard.... Step up, Admit the Problem and at the very least send all Fly more owners of the Mavic Mini a new improved case.

Am I right or am I right
2020-11-22
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

You are very Right!
2020-11-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Having read many posts and watched many videos it seems clear that DJI's Mavic Mini Fly more case is the cause of the Motor ESC speed etc error and indeed many people loosing their Mini's.
- I have not heard of this, can you explain please, would be nice to know how the case is causing the motor esc error.
2020-11-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I would also be interested to see the ecumenical data on this.  Is it do to pressure placed on the motor or props, a lack of head dissipation or some other issue?
2020-11-22
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

The short answer is that the current case forces you to cross the rear props which puts pressure on the props.  The result is bending the prop blades.
There have been several forum threads that explain that is more detail.
2020-11-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 11-22 09:44
- I have not heard of this, can you explain please, would be nice to know how the case is causing the motor esc error.

Ian did a great vid on it mate
2020-11-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anybody know if the Mini 2 will fit in the Combo case of the Mini 1?  Or are they a different size and/or shape?
2020-11-22
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-22 11:04
Anybody know if the Mini 2 will fit in the Combo case of the Mini 1?  Or are they a different size and/or shape?

I think the mini 2 is about 4 mm bigger- not sure.
2020-11-22
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 11-22 09:44

They store the mini incorrectly, and the props get flattened. Therefore the drone drops and it gives motor speed errors.
2020-11-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-22 11:04

I personally like the look of the original Mini Fly More Combo case.  But the man purse with Air2/Mini 2 is more practical to use while flying.  You do not have to set it down and can reach right in to grab the next battery and set the controller in it while doing other stuff.

While not debonair, the functionality is better in my opinion.
2020-11-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scarves UP Posted at 11-22 11:20
I think the mini 2 is about 4 mm bigger- not sure.

That puts paid to that idea then
2020-11-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-22 11:29
I personally like the look of the original Mini Fly More Combo case.  But the man purse with Air2/Mini 2 is more practical to use while flying.  You do not have to set it down and can reach right in to grab the next battery and set the controller in it while doing other stuff.

While not debonair, the functionality is better in my opinion.

I haven't seen that. I'd better take another look
2020-11-22
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

That would be cool but don't dream, you realize that dji should exchange thousands of drones.
2020-11-22
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

I don't think it can all be attributed to DJI and the new fly more cases, i have the newer version of the flymore combo case and i have not once had this issue of the props getting bent, especially in this new case, however i can see the older cases causing an issue where the block at bottom where the mini sits is quite large, so maybe in some cases if the props open up a little and get stored that way maybe then it could cause some issues, maybe, also  i wonder how many people stored them away for awhile and actually left something heavy on top, it is quite possible.

This is the case i am currently using below in the images, as you can see the block is only about an inch and doesn't cover the whole bottom area like in some of the older cases, i was on about this to a guy on YouTube about 3 maybe 4 ish months ago, they was on about the same issue until i said that it could be a case of where you get the flymore combo from, i got mine from Amazon, but a few in the comments with issues had bought them from other online retailers so i was wondering, has these online retailers that they got them from using the old stock flymore combo's with the faulty cases, id say more than likely.

Either way i have seen a fair few people complaining about this on the forum and other websites like YouTube.

Flymore Combo Case_NEW-00.jpg
Flymore Combo Case_NEW-01.jpg
2020-11-22
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry, for some reason the image editor seems to have duplicated the images.
2020-11-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The original style case does NOT force the rear props to be perpendicular to the fore aft line i.e. across the body.
It does 'force' them inwards but if you actually look at what happens as the drone goes into the case the blades can be left like two sides of a triangle pointing forwards under the gimbal. Such a positon means their intermeshing in minimal and my Mini has, after replacing the original distorted blades, been stored like that since I got it (May) and the rear props have not distorted in that time.

As it arrived, new, with the blades across the body, I had to replace the left rear blades and I think I replaced the right rear.

The case could be better and I have modified mine by cutting away the shoulders that 'force' the rear blades inwards but as supplied it works providing you do not put the blades across the body
2020-11-22
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

mark117h Posted at 11-22 12:31
I don't think it can all be attributed to DJI and the new fly more cases, i have the newer version of the flymore combo case and i have not once had this issue of the props getting bent, especially in this new case, however i can see the older cases causing an issue where the block at bottom where the mini sits is quite large, so maybe in some cases if the props open up a little and get stored that way maybe then it could cause some issues, maybe, also  i wonder how many people stored them away for awhile and actually left something heavy on top, it is quite possible.

This is the case i am currently using below in the images, as you can see the block is only about an inch and doesn't cover the whole bottom area like in some of the older cases, i was on about this to a guy on YouTube about 3 maybe 4 ish months ago, they was on about the same issue until i said that it could be a case of where you get the flymore combo from, i got mine from Amazon, but a few in the comments with issues had bought them from other online retailers so i was wondering, has these online retailers that they got them from using the old stock flymore combo's with the faulty cases, id say more than likely.

That's interesting.  There are two differences.  

First, they've reversed the diagram.  Now the diagram shows the right side blades bent to fit under the left side blades.  In the new diagram the right side blades are positioned fit between the body of the Mini and the left-side blades.  

Second, they've removed the block out of the bottom of the case which previously supported the belly of the Mini.  Without that support you now have the full weight of the Mini resting on the tips of the rear blades folded under the body of the Mini.  That's even worse than the original case!

The ONLY advantage of this new design is that it provides more room to NOT position the blades as shown in the diagram.  You should NEVER position the rear blades placed laterally folded together across the body of the Mini.  Because of the way the rear motors are mounted at an angle, canted outwards, when turned inboard the tips of the rear blades hang well below the body of the Mini.  Setting it down into the case with the blades in this position will obviously force the blades to bend.

Ideally, you should have the rear blades positioned longitudinally down the sides of the Mini.  Try it yourself while setting the Mini down on a tabletop with its arms folded.  With the rear blades folded laterally across the body they will bend.  With the blades turned longitudinally down the sides of the Mini, the weight of the Mini rests on the motors instead without bending the blades.

01.jpg

02.jpg

This will bend the blades!

03.jpg

04.jpg
2020-11-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could the new style MM case (whoops didn't even notice the change until I read Zbip's post) be intended for use with the prop protector thing that DJI brought out which is similar to the thing that the Mini 2 uses?
2020-11-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

A J Posted at 11-22 10:41
Ian did a great vid on it mate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOuPuRGhLQ&t=3s

Strange, I had my mini for almost 8 months and had it in the same case and never had an issue
2020-11-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Scarves UP Posted at 11-22 11:21
They store the mini incorrectly, and the props get flattened. Therefore the drone drops and it gives motor speed errors.

Yeah, I just watched the video now from Ian
2020-11-22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 11-22 21:56
Strange, I had my mini for almost 8 months and had it in the same case and never had an issue

It's been speculated by quite a few - nothing officially confirmed.
2020-11-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the early days many mini users had their drone descend uncontrollably into water (This was before the update that gave the warning) Not many people knew why but I suspect it was this issue.

Some very good technical descriptions but are you still storeing your mini in the case...... I have many DJI drones and they all sit on a shelf on top of each other. I think I got the issue when 2 other drones (in their cases) were on top of the mini....... Either way I am certain this is DJI's issue and they should step up to the plate.

I suspect soon there will be a DJI mod along suggesting we open a ticket and send the stuff back not really the answer we will see
2020-11-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just bought these.... But was wondering if they might work or worse make the situation even worse

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274568110574

holders.jpg
2020-11-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are deffo 2 cases See below the pic of mine which is different from the other posted earlier..... Which case is the first design and which the second from DJI I wonder
case 2.jpg
2020-11-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have only had this motor speed ESC error once and I followed some advice of simply hovering the mini for 5 mins in a windless place and this is supposed to reform the props to proper shape..... I have done this and it seems to have worked for me. The mini has been now in the case for several weeks with a weak elastic band from front to back and it just flew ok
2020-11-23
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-23 02:00
I have only had this motor speed ESC error once and I followed some advice of simply hovering the mini for 5 mins in a windless place and this is supposed to reform the props to proper shape..... I have done this and it seems to have worked for me. The mini has been now in the case for several weeks with a weak elastic band from front to back and it just flew ok

Ummm no... The hover test is just that... a test. You take the .dat off your phone and view it to check the rpm of the spinning motors, if the Left Rear is spinning faster it's signs of deformation and should be changed. Simply hovering for 5 minutes does nothing but waste your time and battery, the hover test is intended to check for prop wear.

See guide and discussion here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... tra=page%3D1&page=1

EDIT

I only watched part of this video, it does not appear to fit the Orgianl FMC case, maybe the new one?

It's a real shame to be honest, DJI never sent out replacement set of props, acknowledged us in any way that there was an issue and instead brings any and all improvements to the mini 2 instead.
2020-11-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

A J Posted at 11-22 23:07
It's been speculated by quite a few - nothing officially confirmed.

2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-22 15:22
Could the new style MM case (whoops didn't even notice the change until I read Zbip's post) be intended for use with the prop protector thing that DJI brought out which is similar to the thing that the Mini 2 uses?

I didn't know there was a new style MM case until seeing mark117h's pictures above in post #14.  But, yes, I suspect the new Mini-2 prop protector (or something similar) would now fit into that case.

The prop protector for the Mini-2 is good in that it positions the blades in such a way that their tips do NOT cross.  Forcing the blades to nest together across the body of the Mini, as shown in the diagram in the bottom of the case, is the worst position as that guarantees the blades are being bent.  And certainly they will be bent if placed in that laterally crossed position directly into the bottom of the new-style case, as the flat bottom of the new case provides no support to the belly of the Mini.  The weight of the Mini will then be resting on the prop blades.

2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-22 23:51
I have just bought these.... But was wondering if they might work or worse make the situation even worse

The front blades (folded on top) are fine like that.  The front motors are level with each other so their prop blades will mesh evenly straight across the body without stressing the blades.

But the rear motors are mounted at an angle canted outboard.  Fresh new straight propeller blades will not nest together without forcing one side or the other to bend over/under the opposite side's blades.  Any prop holders forcing the blades to stay in that crossed position guarantee the blades will be bent.

Motor Angles

MotorAngles.jpg

Front motors
Fronts.jpg

Front Blades Folded and Crossed
Fronts-folded.jpg

Rear Motor Angles
Rear-left.jpg

New rear blades CANNOT be meshed together without bending.

2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Here you can see how the blade has to be forced down to fit under the opposite side's blades when crossed.  As the tip is bent down, the trailing edge contacts the body of the Mini.  Prop tip bent down, trailing edge bends up, causing torsion in the blade which flattens its pitch profile.

RearsBentDown.jpg

2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-23 00:10
There are deffo 2 cases See below the pic of mine which is different from the other posted earlier..... Which case is the first design and which the second from DJI I wonder

Your photo is exactly like mine, with the raised block in the bottom to support the belly of the Mini to keep the weight off the rear prop blades folded below it.  That is the original Fly More case.

The new-style version of the case is missing that raised block, leaving a flat bottom in the case.

There are pros and cons to both designs, with DJI still getting the diagram wrong!  Obviously that's the worst possible combination with the new version of the case with props positioned folded together laterally (as shown in DJI's diagram) with the full weight of the Mini resting on them.

However, by removing the supporting block, there is now more room available to swing the prop blades back to a less damaging angle.  Ideally you'd want them positioned longitudinally straight down the sides of the Mini.

2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Suren Posted at 11-22 21:56

Are you using the latest version of firmware & Fly app?

Earlier firmware versions only triggered a vague "Max Power Reached" warning message, which was universally ignored.  More recent firmware upgraded that to a "Motor Speed Error" warning message, or even a "Propeller Speed" warning, with explicit instructions to replace the propeller blades on the affected motor identified after landing by a beeping ESC.

If you've never received any of those warnings, you're lucky.  Your prop blades are probably still okay.

But if you have seen these warning messages you should treat the warnings seriously.  If the blades eventually become sufficiently deformed you may experience an Uncommanded Descent, which is a disaster if it happens over water.

You may not be able to see anything at all wrong with your blades.  Just compare yours to the photos I've posted above.  Those are brand new prop blades.  There was nothing visibly wrong with my original blades.  It was only after mounting the new blades that I could see the obvious difference.  The old rear blades always slid easily to nest together.  It made no difference whether they were positioned left under right, or right under left.  The blades were quite parallel.  But the new straight blades clearly cannot fold under each other without forcing them to bend down.
2020-11-23
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I absolutely agree. They have a responsibility to us.
2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-23 02:00

I totally agree with ABeardedItalian!  Simply hovering for 5 minutes does nothing to fix the problem.

The Motor Speed Error warning message is triggered at some threshold value that DJI determined is sufficient to give an early safe warning, while still allowing the Mini to continue flying.  It is very possible that you've just not flown your Mini aggressively enough to ever trip that threshold again, or it is possible that your props are not yet sufficiently distorted to trigger the warning repeatedly.

But, if you've already experienced the Motor Speed Error warning at least once, it's a sign that you should be taking a look at your propeller blades.

As ABeardedItalian pointed out, if you are even the least bit concerned that there might be an issue, you should do the 5-minute hover test and plot your motor speeds.  That will show conclusively whether there is anything to worry about.  In a stable hands-free hover with healthy propeller blades, all four motors should be turning at equal speed of approximately 9600 rpm.  If any motor is turning at a consistently higher speed than the others, that's a sure indication of under-performing propeller blades.

See this post for instructions and example graphs:
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-13#post-1038918

Note that it takes at least 30 seconds for the Mini to settle into a stable hover.
June16HoverTest.jpg

Compare that to this one where you can see the Left-Rear motor (blue) is turning consistently much faster than the others.
Left-rear.jpg
2020-11-23
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

This post explains where to find the DAT file containing your flight log with motor speeds, and how to plot those motor speeds using CsvView

mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-15#post-1121175

2020-11-23
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 11-22 10:41
Ian did a great vid on it mate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOuPuRGhLQ&t=3s

Thanks for sharing Captain, it makes perfect sense. One of the things that I would never have thought...
2020-11-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I say again hovering for 5 mins seemed to sort things for me. Surely if a blade can bend incorrectly it can also bend back into shape. and a period of high speed spinning will do this...

I am not disagreeing with all your theory but very often real life observations and outcomes are more important than any amount of theory.
2020-11-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So are we saying that the older style case is better than the newer case for the MM1 or are there still mods that can be carried out
2020-11-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 11-23 18:58
Thanks for sharing Captain, it makes perfect sense. One of the things that I would never have thought...

2020-11-24
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Thank's for sharing this important information !
2020-11-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules