iPhone or Android?
4531 18 2020-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R_Packard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1179039 ft
United States

What do you prefer when flying DJI's drones? I am using an iPhone 6S Plus at the moment. I have plans to purchase the iPhone 12 Pro Max but I am open to hear opinions of Android users as well as there may be differences I haven't heard of yet specifically for flting drones. Have any of you tried both Android and iPhone to compare the platforms? Thanks for your input in advance!
2020-11-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

1) There are a few Apple tablets approved and no Android tablets.

2) For Apple products, you can turn off the feature that charges the phone from the remote control battery, but you cannot do that for Android because it must always be on. I am not sure which is the best plan. I do like that the remote keeps my Android tablet charged since it drains faster than the remote.

2020-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there R_Packard. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. With regards to this matter I would recommended for you to use a recommended mobile device for your DJI Mavic Air 2 for compatibility and reliability for both the drone and for the DJI Fly application. For reference I will post a link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2/downloads ) where in you can check all the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Thank you.

2020-11-22
Use props
R_Packard
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-22 21:11
Hello there R_Packard. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. With regards to this matter I would recommended for you to use a recommended mobile device for your DJI Mavic Air 2 for compatibility and reliability for both the drone and for the DJI Fly application. For reference I will post a link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2/downloads ) where in you can check all the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Thank you.

[view_image]

I see the iPhone 12 is not listed yet. Are there going to be updates issued for this phone at a later date?
2020-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just use whichever you are happy with or used to.
Either works just fine (as long as you have a capable device).
2020-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-22 21:02

2) For Apple products, you can turn off the feature that charges the phone from the remote control battery, but you cannot do that for Android because it must always be on. I am not sure which is the best plan. I do like that the remote keeps my Android tablet charged since it drains faster than the remote.

Take DJI's list of approved devices with a grain of salt.
They hardly ever update it and rarely test anything.
Many of the best flying tablets have never been tested by DJI.
2020-11-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-22 21:49
Take DJI's list of approved devices with a grain of salt.
They hardly ever update it and rarely test anything.

I agree. I think the Android tablet I am using for the MA2 and sometimes for the Mini 2 is perfect..... and Unapproved.
But... if you have an arguement with DJI about a crash and you tell them you are using an unapproved device....well you know what comes next ;-) I am not poor and can accept the loss easily.

Obviously I have "tipped my hand" with that statement, but I am ok with that.

2020-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-22 22:02
I agree. I think the Android tablet I am using for the MA2 and sometimes for the Mini 2 is perfect..... and Unapproved.
But... if you have an arguement with DJI about a crash and you tell them you are using an unapproved device....well you know what comes next ;-) I am not poor and can accept the loss easily.

For there to be a problem, DJI would have to be able to show that the "non-approved" tablet was the problem.
I've never heard of an incident either caused by the tablet or where DJI suggested it was.
2020-11-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I juts bought the 12 Pro Max - works flawlessly with my DJI drones and even fits in the Mavic Air 2 / Mini 2 RC with a case on (only just though).
2020-11-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I prefer Android devices so I use Galaxy S10+ phone and Galaxy S6 tablet.  Both have snapdragon processors and run Android 10 OS.  I did use an iPad Mini but much prefer the S6 tablet.  
2020-11-23
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used both an iPhone 8 Plus and Android device on my drones.

Over time the phone was just to small and I wanted to go to a tablet when flying. I had great expereiences with both platforms so it wasn't a concern for me. I went with a Samsung Tab S6 because it was half off through T-Mobile (my carrier) so I figured why not. The larger screen is really nice to have.

On the other hand if you are ever thinking of getting an Osmo Mobile 3 or 4 then you will want an iPhone because not all of the capabilities of the Android devices are accessible through the app like they are on the iPhone.
2020-11-23
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I'm with other use what you have or works best for you. With I say Started flying my Mini with a Galaxy 9+ but didn't like having to undress my phone because the control wouldn't except my phone with a Defender case. I progress to getting a pad holder and decided to trying my Samsung galaxy Tab s3 also and it works great bigger viewing screen a little awkward at first. and my phone is a little easier and enjoyable to use also.  They both travel with me when we can and  I fill more comfortable doing so.
I do wish DJI would treat all it's  children (Devices) equal and quite Spoiling it ISO devices. Like mentioned if your thinking about a Osmo moblie devicewith  IOS device ALOT more features work.
2020-11-23
Use props
R_Packard
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-23 07:32
I prefer Android devices so I use Galaxy S10+ phone and Galaxy S6 tablet.  Both have snapdragon processors and run Android 10 OS.  I did use an iPad Mini but much prefer the S6 tablet.

Why do you have that preference? Is it anything specific when comparing the two?
2020-11-23
Use props
R_Packard
lvl.2
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 11-23 09:27
I have used both an iPhone 8 Plus and Android device on my drones.

Over time the phone was just to small and I wanted to go to a tablet when flying. I had great expereiences with both platforms so it wasn't a concern for me. I went with a Samsung Tab S6 because it was half off through T-Mobile (my carrier) so I figured why not. The larger screen is really nice to have.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind when making my purchase.
2020-11-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I find the best device is a second hand Apple Iphone 6s Plus. You can buy them for a good price on ebay and I use it as a bespoke device for the drone.... I keep my Phone as a Phone
Very good screen size and if you get the 128 gb version plenty of space to store and work on your videos.

If you like a bigger screen then an Ipad mini is also excellent... You will need a little after market clip or holder for this though with the new style controller
2020-11-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

R_Packard Posted at 11-23 16:08
Why do you have that preference? Is it anything specific when comparing the two?

As an App developer I have always preferred Android.  Apple just demands too much of your profits for a product that they didn't spend anytime to develop.  Secondly, I much prefer open source over proprietary.  
2020-11-24
Use props
R_Packard
lvl.2
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-23 23:55
I find the best device is a second hand Apple Iphone 6s Plus. You can buy them for a good price on ebay and I use it as a bespoke device for the drone.... I keep my Phone as a Phone
Very good screen size and if you get the 128 gb version plenty of space to store and work on your videos.

I'm using the iPhone 6S Plus currently. Unfortunately, I can barely make it a few hours without having to plug it in anymore and my camera is no longer functioning properly. Trying to do the 12 Pro Max upgrade and see if there are any differences versus the 6S Plus.
2020-11-24
Use props
R_Packard
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-24 09:07
As an App developer I have always preferred Android.  Apple just demands too much of your profits for a product that they didn't spend anytime to develop.  Secondly, I much prefer open source over proprietary.

Understandable. I was curious as to if there were any differences when using the two different platforms as far as response or control wise.
2020-11-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

R_Packard Posted at 11-22 21:19
I see the iPhone 12 is not listed yet. Are there going to be updates issued for this phone at a later date?

Hi there R_Packard. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given. AS of the moment the iPhone 12 is not yet listed as a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Air 2 rest assured that our DJI R&D Team are continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said list in the future and support for additional devices ( Android and iOS ) available as testing and development continues as well. Thank you.
2020-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules