8470 15 2020-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kcjektLKIB6P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 243428 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys, new here and drones.

Yesterday I was unfortunate to hit awall and drop into water. It was submerged for about a minute.

Rescued it, removed the battery and
D is now resting in a bag of rice.

Does anyone know it's survival chances ??

2020-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If it was seawater, probably zero.
Freshwater is less of an issue but the battery may be toast.
Forget rice and rinse it with alcohol which will mix with the water and evaporate readily.
2020-11-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate incident happened to your DJI Mini 2 and if after this process ( placing the said DJI drone in a bag of rice ) the said drone is not working properly. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to assess the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue.  Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit and voiding the warranty of the said drone as well. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-23
Use props
djiuser_kcjektLKIB6P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 243428 ft
United Kingdom

The battery has survived as it fully charged up again.
2020-11-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully it was freshwater.  Couple of years back my mobile device took a dip in the tub.  Fortunately, the back was removable so I took it off and used a blow dryer on the internals.  Luckily, it worked for 2 more years.  Hope you get lucky also.  
2020-11-23
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Bad luck, I've seen several videos or the bag of rice works well. A few days and you can fly again. I'm crossing my fingers for you.
2020-11-23
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

LOL - the bag of rice is a not something that actually works.  An alcohol bath works best, pulls the water out.  Ether is also ok, but is a solvent, so use sparingly.
2020-11-23
Use props
Stuart McIntosh
New

United Kingdom

It powers on but not responding.

Oh well DJI care refresh it is then.
2020-11-23
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Porktree Posted at 11-23 13:07
LOL - the bag of rice is a not something that actually works.  An alcohol bath works best, pulls the water out.  Ether is also ok, but is a solvent, so use sparingly.

it's a trick I didn't know. It's always good to know that. Thank you
2020-11-23
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Mixed results according to others on the rice, but here is my alcohol bath story...

20 years or so ago I was working for a large electric utility that had one of the largest Motorola trunked two way radio systems in the world.  I managed that radio system.  In a major storm part of the roof on one of the mountaintop radio sites blew off.  This let a large amount of rain into the building where it filtered through 50 years of dust and dirt in the ceiling insulation and then poured onto the central controller for that radio site - killing it.  This was on a Sunday afternoon.  Several of us got to the site and assessed the problem.  Most of the control cards had been drenched with this filthy water while energized with 48 volts of DC power.  There was large amounts of gunk, corrosion, other assorted crud on close to 100 different printed circuit boards - far more than we had spare parts for.

So we sent one of the guys down to a local grocery store to buy several large disposable roasting pans, some toothbrushes and as much isopropyl alcohol as they had.  The three of us spent the next 8 hours taking control cards (some as much as $10,000 each), and plunging them into a pan of alcohol, and scrubbing them with toothbrushes to get them clean, and then letting them air dry.  About 0100 Monday morning, we had the radio site partially operational, and by about 0500, it was as fully operational as we wanted it at the time.

Alcohol works!
2020-11-24
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Good suggestion on ether.  Just a word of warning diethyl ether is highly flammable.  Definitely need to some research and use with caution.  
2020-11-24
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 11-24 08:44
Mixed results according to others on the rice, but here is my alcohol bath story...

20 years or so ago I was working for a large electric utility that had one of the largest Motorola trunked two way radio systems in the world.  I managed that radio system.  In a major storm part of the roof on one of the mountaintop radio sites blew off.  This let a large amount of rain into the building where it filtered through 50 years of dust and dirt in the ceiling insulation and then poured onto the central controller for that radio site - killing it.  This was on a Sunday afternoon.  Several of us got to the site and assessed the problem.  Most of the control cards had been drenched with this filthy water while energized with 48 volts of DC power.  There was large amounts of gunk, corrosion, other assorted crud on close to 100 different printed circuit boards - far more than we had spare parts for.

That's a crazy good story, thanks for sharing it.
2020-11-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Porktree Posted at 11-25 20:42
That's a crazy good story, thanks for sharing it.

You are welcome.
It was a hell of a night!
2020-11-25
Use props
djiuser_xtuewB5aj1cg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 145453 ft
United States

This unfortunately happened to me yesterday. It was submerged in freshwater for less than 10 seconds, I’ve never moved so fast in my life. I immediately removed the battery and shook/blew out all water. I even took off my base layer T-shirt to wipe it dry. At home I hit it with a light hair dryer and left to it dry on my PS4 in front of the dual cooling fans I have installed. The only issue I had yesterday was a battery cell error which has resolved itself today. This drone flies perfectly today  even with the battery that got dunked. Only noticeable difference is one cell reads 4.36 and the other 4.34, fully charged. Lesson learned!
2021-3-13
Use props
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

djiuser_xtuewB5aj1cg Posted at 3-13 06:28
This unfortunately happened to me yesterday. It was submerged in freshwater for less than 10 seconds, I’ve never moved so fast in my life. I immediately removed the battery and shook/blew out all water. I even took off my base layer T-shirt to wipe it dry. At home I hit it with a light hair dryer and left to it dry on my PS4 in front of the dual cooling fans I have installed. The only issue I had yesterday was a battery cell error which has resolved itself today. This drone flies perfectly today  even with the battery that got dunked. Only noticeable difference is one cell reads 4.36 and the other 4.34, fully charged. Lesson learned!

That's great to hear and keep on flying!  Just be careful and try to keep an eye on your mini 2 and battery for a bit while more and observe if there are any issues that come up in a few more test flights before flying it out high and far.
2021-3-14
Use props
djiuser_UfYKluzTjp9k
lvl.1

Egypt

whaat?<h1>a
2021-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules