CAN BUS Controller
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnieBraaf
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi folks,

Wanted to share with you that I have opensourced my CAN BUS controller for the Robomaster S1/EDU.
It's crude and unfinished, but maybe it can land in the community if there is interest in it.
It was written in Micropython and runs on any STM32 microcontroller capable of running micropython.

See: https://github.com/JohnieBraaf/Robomaster-Micropython

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Jan
2020-11-23
Use props
Wardword
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Very nice I am going to buy one of these controllers and try this out !
2021-3-2
Use props
JohnieBraaf
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi Wardword,

Good to hear that you like the project. In theory you can use any python enabled board given that it has an CAN RX/TX interface.
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
2021-3-12
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

"I have opensourced my CAN BUS controller for the Robomaster S1/EDU."

Wow! Very very cool. I'm can't believe I haven't seen this before now.

In the Github readme you say:

"Only CAN BUS High / Low wires need to be connected to the robot gimbal, replacing the cable leading to the control unit (with the antennas)."

Does the original control unit need to be disconnected in order to avoid conflicting commands?

If it doesn't NEED to be disconnected, there are plenty of other locations on the robot with access to the CAN Bus. There's a connector near the top of the gimbal with a rubber plug in it. Here's a photo showing this PCB (from my Hackaday IO project).

This top connector could be used. I also think there are extra connection spots on some of the hit detectors. Of course if the controller needs to be unplugged in order to use your code, then we might as well use the same spot.

Thanks a bunch for making this open source.
2021-4-20
Use props
JohnieBraaf
lvl.2
Netherlands

Duane Degn Posted at 4-20 12:47
"I have opensourced my CAN BUS controller for the Robomaster S1/EDU."

Wow! Very very cool. I'm can't believe I haven't seen this before now.

Hi Duane, yes the normal controller needs to be disconnected.
This replaces the controller (CAN id: 201).

Previously I had written the software to function as a passtrhough, so leaving the controller plugged in, you can do it with some slight modifications. It worked, but the micro controller was only barely fast enough for that, so not as fast.

The added benefits of not having the controller is that it is almost completely silent and battery lasts way longer.

I guess you are right, that you can tap into any place on the canbus even withouth gimbal for example.

2021-4-20
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

JohnieBraaf Posted at 4-20 13:14
Hi Duane, yes the normal controller needs to be disconnected.
This replaces the controller (CAN id: 201).

Very interesting. Thanks again for making this open source.
2021-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules