Boosting the Two-Way Charging Hub performance.
6393 24 2020-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Hi, I recently purchased a DJI Mini 2 with the full bundle, so I have the Two-Way charger, three batteries and the DJIs 18W charger that came with the pack.

I  read in the instructions that the Two-Way charger can stand up to 29W  in the input port, so I was wondering if purchasing a 27W (or more)  charger with power delivery (PD 3.0) protocol would make any difference  in the charging times of the batteries and if it'll degrade the battery  life in the long term compared to the 18W charge.

The batteries  charge pretty fast with the standard charger, but I was wondering if I  could get the first battery ready for the fourth flight in a row

2020-11-23
Use props
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Spain

Well, I've just bought a 60W PD 3.0 charger from Amazon and will empty 2 batteries and test one with the default DJIs 18W and the other with the new one.

I'll fly the Mini 2 normally and then I'll empty the batteries to the minimum by using the Two Way charger as a power bank.

I'll post the results when the new charger arrives
2020-11-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Huginn Keningar. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these information here at DJI Forum. Please keep us posted with the result. In addition I will post a link where in you can check the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub user guide as well. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Hub_User_Guide.pdf
2020-11-23
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Not a drone, not the powerbank clearly do not support PD! And faster charging can even be achieved with a shorter USB cable or a better one that has less current drop. And in General, the charging speed directly depends on how the controllers agree in the battery and in the power sources. In this case, I see the point only in buying a powerful charger with support for QC 4.0!
2020-11-23
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

"Quick Charge and Type C cables
According to the USB specification, some cables with Type C connectors may contain a chip that identifies the cable parameters. Since this chip is powered by the power lines of the cable, an increase in voltage on them can be fatal for both the cable and the connected equipment. In this regard, the use of Quick Charge 2.0 and 3.0 on cables with Type C connectors turned out to be risky. In 2015, USB-IF published a methodology for testing cable infrastructure with Type C connectors, where it explicitly prohibited voltage management on the power line using non-standard methods. Google has issued a recommendation not to support QC 2.0 and 3.0 in Android devices. To solve this problem, Qualcomm promised to introduce a new revision of the Quick Charge 4 specification in 2017."

Therefore, a short modern cable that supports QC 4.0+ is our everything!
2020-11-23
Use props
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Spain

Alevpi Posted at 11-23 21:42
Not a drone, not the powerbank clearly do not support PD! And faster charging can even be achieved with a shorter USB cable or a better one that has less current drop. And in General, the charging speed directly depends on how the controllers agree in the battery and in the power sources. In this case, I see the point only in buying a powerful charger with support for QC 4.0!

Hi, according to the instructions the Two-Way charging hub supports both Quick Charge and PD.

The QC 3.0 chargers I found on Amazon (no QC 4.0 available yet) only go up to 18W, so you want to achieve the 29W charging capacity of the hub you need to pick a PD 3.0 one. In the other hand when buying a multiport chargers it's important to pay atention to the delivered power of each port (I bought a single port charger).

PS: It arrives tomorrow

PPS: Here is a screen of the charger's specs, as you can see max input is 12v/3A (36W) while the DJIs supplied charger is only capable of 12W/1.5A (18W)

2020-11-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool info - thanks for sharing
2020-11-24
Use props
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Spain

In resume, I bought a USB C PD 3.0 60W charger.

And a USB C to C cable capable of 100W of power transmission (USB C cables have different standards for power and data, so a high speed data cable not necessarily have high power transmission and vice versa).

It's a bit overkill, but the prices for the 30W chargers and cables are about the same. Tomorrow we'll see what the DJI's Two-Way Hub charger and intelligent batteries are capable of
2020-11-24
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
United States

Huginn Keningar Posted at 11-24 03:19
Hi, according to the instructions the Two-Way charging hub supports both Quick Charge and PD.

[view_image]

Yes, I didn't see any information about PD, thank You for it!
And about power supplies on Aliexpress no problem to buy and with PD and QC 4.0
2020-11-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-11-24
Use props
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Spain

The charger has arrived today and I've done the test.

Used two  batteries to fly, landed at about 20% or so and then I installed them in the hub and used them to charge the controller till both of them where completely drained.

After that I charged one with the supplied 12v/1.5A (18W) DJI charger and then charged the other with a PD 3.0  charger capable of delivering 12v/3A (36W), which is the max input  supported by the hub.

I recorded a video of the process, so I could accurately see the charging times and the results are the following:

• DJI's 12v/1.5A = 84 minutes and 42 seconds
  • Aukey 12v/3A = 60 minutes and 33 seconds

So  charging three batteries with the supplied charger costs about 255  minutes (4 hours and 15 minutes) and with a 36W capable charger it takes  183 minutes (3 hours and 3 minutes). That's 72 minutes faster!

Remember  that the cable you use to charge also needs to support the current; I'm  using a 60W charger and a 100W capable USB-C cable so the hub can drain  all its max input power.

Also, I performed the test with fully drained batteries, if you are charging 20-40% batteries the times mill be  much lower so yep, with the boosted hub and three batteries you can do 4 flights in a row if you start charging the batteries as soon as you land
2020-11-25
Use props
KensukeY
lvl.1
Japan

Hi, Huginn Keningar.
I am posting from Japan.

I also own a DJI Mini 2 with the full bundle. (The Japanese version has a small battery capacity of 1065mAh.)

In my case, it is a symptom that it can be charged faster by connecting it to the Mini2 and charging it than by the Two-Way charger.

When tested using a voltage tester, the following results were obtained.(The cable is also PD compatible.)

Mini2 + DJI 18W Charger = 18W(12V/1.5A)
Two-Way charger + DJI 18W Charger = 16.8W(12V/1.4A)
Two-Way charger + RAVPower 60W Charger = 16.8W(12V/1.4A)
Two-Way charger + cheero 45W Charger = 16.8W(12V/1.4A)

When using the Two-Way charger, even using a PD-compatible charger does not produce even 18W.

I bought two chargers, believing in the statement on the DJI website that they can charge at 29W, but I'm very disappointed.

Japanese battery: Is there a case where BWX161-1065-7.6 becomes a bottleneck and cannot be charged at high speed?
Is there a problem with the Two-Way charger that it's slower than charging with the Mini2?
2020-12-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Keningar Posted at 11-24 03:48
In resume, I bought a USB C PD 3.0 60W charger.

[view_image]

Great find!
2020-12-6
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KensukeY Posted at 12-6 02:56
Hi, Huginn Keningar.
I am posting from Japan.

How did you measure the readings?

Did you have a device inline with the cable. It could alter the ratings if you did.
2020-12-6
Use props
KensukeY
lvl.1
Japan

bjr981s Posted at 12-6 04:10

Did you have a device inline with the cable. It could alter the ratings if you did.

It was measured using the same USB Tester as the image.

With iPad Pro and PC, it was possible to measure at 30W and 45W. So I don't think there is a problem with the USB Tester and the cable.
2020-12-6
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

bjr981s Posted at 12-6 04:10

I recorded in video the charging process, then measured the time form  the exact moment I plugged the battery charger until the battery was completely charged.

I didn't measure the power drawn, just the time from 0% to 100% charge.

PS: I've tested it right now and it drains a maximum of 36W with a 60W capable PD 3.0 charger and 60W capable USB-C cable   

Maybe the japanese model can't charge that fast or the batteries are bottlenecking the charger, what tells on the sticker at the bottom of your two-way charging hub? On mine says Input: 5v/3A, 9v/3A, 12v/3A
2020-12-6
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

These are your batteries, so do what you like with them, but I urge you to fully understand the chemistry and critical nature of this battery type before charging this way.  Remember, when the battery fails in flight, the drone will fall from the sky, unlike a laptop or remote-controlled car.
2020-12-6
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

AlansDronePics Posted at 12-6 11:34
These are your batteries, so do what you like with them, but I urge you to fully understand the chemistry and critical nature of this battery type before charging this way.  Remember, when the battery fails in flight, the drone will fall from the sky, unlike a laptop or remote-controlled car.

You're not hacking or modyfing neither the batteries or the two-way charging hub, you can use any QC/PD supported charger as stated in the instructions manual.

You don't receive any charger when buying the standalone Dji Mini 2, just a battery, the controller and the drone. You also don't receive any charger when buying the Two-Way charging hub separately, you just get the Dji's 18W charger when buying the fly more combo.

They just give you a 18W instead of a 36W to maintain production cost low (like other brands like Apple, for example).

You're just using the stock stuff, with the stock voltage values, so you're not going to break anything, as both batteries and charger are made to work this way as stated by the user manual and the sticker at the bottom of the charging hub.

These are not like the LiPo batteries you buy for a DIY quadracopter that you can charege at any rate depending on the charger you have; Dji's intelligent batteries have a little mobo inside, so won't charge any faster that the default factory settings stated both by the electronics in the charging hub, the batteries, and the drone (if you use the mini 2 to charge the battery).

2020-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This Xiaomi power bank also delivers 12V/3A, and with its 74Wh capacity it'll give you a few more flights, and it fits in the fly more combo bag too!
2020-12-6
Use props
KensukeY
lvl.1
Japan

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-6 09:32
I recorded in video the charging process, then measured the time form  the exact moment I plugged the battery charger until the battery was completely charged.

Thanks for the useful information, Huginn.

My Two-Way Charging Hub also says 5V/3A,9V/3A,12V/3A.
The charger I own is capable of outputting these voltage and current combinations.

I'm curious about the information written on the Japanese version of the battery (BWX161-1065-7.6).
Nominal Voltage: 7.6V
Max Charge Voltage: 8.7V

12V is measured, so it may not be relevant.

Huginn, I would be grateful if you could tell me how it is written on your battery (MWX161-2250-7.7).
2020-12-6
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

I'm pretty sure it must be the batteries then, the electronics in those batteries are just limiting the charging ratio to the safe one.

In Europe we get 2250mAh, having more capacity means they'll also drain more energy in the quick part of the charging process (charge at about 1C ratio).

I'm quite astonished Japanese version is shipping with those batteries, flight times must be super short

These are the ones that come with the Mini 2 in Europe.

2020-12-7
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-6 09:32

Thanks, that confirms that it is capable of accepting a 36W charge rate.
2020-12-7
Use props
KensukeY
lvl.1
Japan

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-7 03:16
I'm pretty sure it must be the batteries then, the electronics in those batteries are just limiting the charging ratio to the safe one.

In Europe we get 2250mAh, having more capacity means they'll also drain more energy in the quick part of the charging process (charge at about 1C ratio).

European version battery 2250mAh: 36W / 12V = 3A (3A / 2.25A = 1.33C)
Japanese version battery 1065mAh: 18W / 12V = 1.5A (1.5A / 1.065A = 1.4C)

I understand charging at 1C ratio.
It's not 1C, but it's almost the same ratio.

I don't understand that charging with the Mini 2 is faster than using the Two-Way Charging Hub, but I'm convinced that charging with the Two-Way Charging Hub, which I use more often, is battery-friendly. To.

Now you can continue to love DJI and the Mini 2.
Huginn, thank you for the useful information!
2020-12-7
Use props
KensukeY
lvl.1
Japan

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-23 19:31
Hello there Huginn Keningar. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these information here at DJI Forum. Please keep us posted with the result. In addition I will post a link where in you can check the DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub user guide as well. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/Accessories/DJI_Mini_2_Two-Way_Charging_Hub_User_Guide.pdf

Hi, DJI Stephen.

The Japanese version battery (BWX161-1065-7.6) can be charged at 12V / 1.5A = 18W depending on the C ratio, isn't it?

If so,
BWX161-2250-7.7 batteries cannot be purchased in Japan, which means that even if you use the Two-Way Charging Hub, you cannot charge at 29W in Japan.

The performance of the Two-Way Charging Hub itself is that it can be charged at 29W, but I think it is a hype to sell that it can be charged at 29W in Japan.

I'm sure there are people like me who mistakenly think they can charge at 29W and buy expensive chargers and cables.
If you use a BWX161-1065-7.6 battery in Japan, please state that 18W performance is sufficient for the charger and cable.
(The price of the charger and cable is completely different between the 18W or less compatible product and the 18W or more compatible product.)
2020-12-7
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-6 11:51
You're not hacking or modyfing neither the batteries or the two-way charging hub, you can use any QC/PD supported charger as stated in the instructions manual.

You don't receive any charger when buying the standalone Dji Mini 2, just a battery, the controller and the drone. You also don't receive any charger when buying the Two-Way charging hub separately, you just get the Dji's 18W charger when buying the fly more combo.

I accept you point.
A technique adopted by some chargers (for RC cars in particular) to get a faster charge is a frequent break in the charge current followed by resumption of the higher voltage charge. This has the effect of circumventing the battery  electronics, momentarily.
Take any laptop or similar. Charge till light goes out and switch off. Switch on again and the charge light will light again for a short while. This does pump in a higher charge at the expense of battery life. Not that a short life is of any interest to RC racers. If your charger works this way then this is the point I was warning about.
Happy flying.
2020-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules