Request for Wind Direction and Speed Indicator
932 4 2020-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_u72eQ0Pejtta
lvl.1
Australia

Hi all. I've been flying the Mini 2 to it's maximum distance out and back to get a feel for the control laws.

I notice that flying out with a tailwind, the Mini 2 goes to a maximum groundspeed (Normal mode) of ~36km/hr. Returning into a headwind, I'll normally see the same speed except if the wind is significantly stronger. Then it will show a speed less the headwind component it can't overcome. Exactly the same effect is evident when reversing the wind direction and flying out and back.

It seems like very clever programming to prevent fly-aways by limiting excessive 'away' speed. What is also does is completely obscure a sense of the wind speed and direction.

It would be very handy to have a small compass dial to indicate wind speed and direction in the Fly app. That indicator would only be calculable after a few seconds of stable flight in any particular direction. The DJI programmers would know the nil wind speed of the Mini 2 with any particular stick deflection. The internal sensors can measure GPS 'Track-made-good' and determine an 'along track' versus 'cross track' drift. Basically, all the inertial (GPS) information and aircraft performance information is available to determine a wind direction and speed in stable flight.

Dear DJI - Please consider a wind speed and direction indicator as a useful tool for situational awareness and improving safety.

2020-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_u72eQ0Pejtta. Thank you for your input and suggestion. We will help forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product.
2020-11-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Download UAV Forecast,  its free and a great weather tool for drones.
2020-11-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use BBC weather and UAV forecast
2020-11-25
Use props
djiuser_u72eQ0Pejtta
lvl.1
Australia

The challenge for drone operations is that wind conditions are highly affected by local topography and dynamic effects such as the arrival of a local sea-breeze.

The issue I would like DJI to consider is real-time display of actual wind conditions. The significant capabilities of DJI programmers is obvious in the current software. The actual derivation of wind is relatively straight-forward with the speed and capabilities of current processors. It's apparent that something as simple as the Mini 2 has sufficient accelerometers, GPS and magnetic sensors to achieve that. One of the many benefits is to be able to visualise turbulent rotors downwind of obstructions when you have a real-time display of wind on screen.
2020-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules