Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mini 2 - How To land on WATER
4187 34 2020-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mini 2 - How To land on WATER

Watch this so you dont have to try it yourself.

2020-11-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I won't risk that
2020-11-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 11-24 09:31
I won't risk that

me neither,  but now Ive watched it I dont have to try.
2020-11-24
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Here is a failed attempt by paul thys. Low benefit High risk- not for me. Although with a MM1, still almost the same

*crash @ 10:45
2020-11-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DAFlys. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this interesting video you have found. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2 is not waterproof. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones or modify your DJI product. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-11-24
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't trust this.
2020-11-24
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Scarves UP Posted at 11-24 10:20
https://youtu.be/zugPoHXkEqM
Here is a failed attempt by paul thys. Low benefit High risk- not for me. Although with a MM1, still almost the same

It's not worth the risk.
2020-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried those exact floats on one of my Mini's. I just wanted to experiment and find a way to retrieve the drone if it failed over water, so that I could use the Refresh policy. What I found was a great tendency to report excess wind warnings when it was flying aside the wind where the wind resistance of the floats would be maximum. Going forward was not that bad but the overall range was reduced by 20%. For some reason, I never got the payload restrictions imposed. Perhaps it just wasn't heavy enough. Went way over 1000 feet each way.
Another thing to consider is in salt water, the spray created by landing or ascending would wreck havoc with the motors.

I did land it once on the water in very, very calm conditions. But I honestly could not imagine a good reason to do so unless I was trying to feed the gators with plastic ;-)
DSCN4149.JPG
2020-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Scarves UP Posted at 11-24 10:20

NO! I Have lived on the coast of salt water all my life. No electronic device that goes into salt water has  a chance of surviving. In the first few seconds, the circuitry become a battery in itself with the different metals becoming the poles. There is NO coming back from that. Once I had my small sailboat capsize in a sudden storm and sunk. The VHF radio inside was an almost unrecognizable mess of corrosion after just a few hours. RIP little drone.

As for the crash in the video, well we have seen many Minis go into the water with no such appendages. The pilot even admits it was a bad idea to not ascend instead of going horizontal. When I am in doubt about the position of the drone over the water, I alway push the left stick up first. Priorities.

2020-11-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 11-24 09:43
me neither,  but now Ive watched it I dont have to try.

Yup
2020-11-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 11-24 20:45
NO! I Have lived on the coast of salt water all my life. No electronic device that goes into salt water has  a chance of surviving. In the first few seconds, the circuitry become a battery in itself with the different metals becoming the poles. There is NO coming back from that. Once I had my small sailboat capsize in a sudden storm and sunk. The VHF radio inside was an almost unrecognizable mess of corrosion after just a few hours. RIP little drone.

As for the crash in the video, well we have seen many Minis go into the water with no such appendages. The pilot even admits it was a bad idea to not ascend instead of going horizontal. When I am in doubt about the position of the drone over the water, I alway push the left stick up first. Priorities.

The issue of a drone floats is as old as the consumer drones itself. Weekend warriors with a 3D printer are coming up with basically still the same primitive "pool tube" design, and quickly disappearing from market for the lack of interest. Until the next drones generation, and the dance starts again. Virtually every "developer" makes the same mistake by mounting floats directly below propellers, therefore successfully cancelling the lion's share of precious lifting force. Moreover, all attachments of this nature will transform usually swift performer into a clumsy, neutered one. Good for beginners or short living fun, but of no use for seasoned pilots ...
2020-11-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I won't be trying anything like that
2020-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-24 21:39

There is really no sensible reason to do it.
2020-11-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-24 21:45
There is really no sensible reason to do it.

Quite so. In my view it's just asking for trouble.
2020-11-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rather pointless if you ask me.
2020-11-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-24 21:39

Me neither....
2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-25 00:21
Thanks for sharing

no probs....
2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-25 00:14
Rather pointless if you ask me.

I really dont have a need to land on water myself.  
2020-11-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-25 01:22
I really dont have a need to land on water myself.

Me neither.
Maybe, just very maybe as a safety precaution when you do a lot of flying over water.
2020-11-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any water landing would be entirely unintentional - and unfortunate.
2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-25 02:04
Any water landing would be entirely unintentional - and unfortunate.

And probably uncontrolled so I reckon it would still get a good dunking.
2020-11-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-25 02:12
And probably uncontrolled so I reckon it would still get a good dunking.

A watery grave
2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

for sure it would be.
2020-11-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-11-25
Use props
AAM Photography
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-24 20:12
I tried those exact floats on one of my Mini's. I just wanted to experiment and find a way to retrieve the drone if it failed over water, so that I could use the Refresh policy. What I found was a great tendency to report excess wind warnings when it was flying aside the wind where the wind resistance of the floats would be maximum. Going forward was not that bad but the overall range was reduced by 20%. For some reason, I never got the payload restrictions imposed. Perhaps it just wasn't heavy enough. Went way over 1000 feet each way.
Another thing to consider is in salt water, the spray created by landing or ascending would wreck havoc with the motors.

After some reviews, it seems like a gimmick to me.
2020-11-25
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

I was scaried whole the time when I see the video...
2020-11-25
Use props
AAM Photography
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-24 20:45
NO! I Have lived on the coast of salt water all my life. No electronic device that goes into salt water has  a chance of surviving. In the first few seconds, the circuitry become a battery in itself with the different metals becoming the poles. There is NO coming back from that. Once I had my small sailboat capsize in a sudden storm and sunk. The VHF radio inside was an almost unrecognizable mess of corrosion after just a few hours. RIP little drone.

“Always push the left stick up”

Great advice.
2020-11-25
Use props
AAM Photography
Second Officer
United States

dronespilot Posted at 11-24 19:55
It's not worth the risk.

I agree. :/
2020-11-25
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MavicMats Posted at 11-25 05:35
I was scaried whole the time when I see the video...

lol,  me too.
2020-11-25
Use props
AAM Photography
Second Officer
United States

quite risky
2020-11-25
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Funny how I thought the go pro hanging off the bottom of a drone is wrong in so many ways but this, this i like.
I would definitely do this.
I used to fly RC helicopters probably 60% on water, inflatable floats, so maybe that’s why I have an interest in this.
Different strokes I guess.

Best
2020-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lisa3 Posted at 11-25 15:45
Funny how I thought the go pro hanging off the bottom of a drone is wrong in so many ways but this, this i like.
I would definitely do this.
I used to fly RC helicopters probably 60% on water, inflatable floats, so maybe that’s why I have an interest in this.

Gosh I would have thought landing a helicopter on water would be even harder than this.
2020-11-26
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Not sure what you you mean by harder to land on water but the pontoons actually made landing a helicopter easier, much bigger footprint than skids.
I would think the same would apply to this drone with pontoons as far as landing on different surfaces (bigger foot print, raises the camera so less interference with grass, rocks).
Generally speaking you had to fly the helicopter, my MA2 pretty much flys itself. If they add waypoints you can launch, go eat a sandwich, pick up the drone and watch the video.

The pontoons would have a use, for me but I would have to consider positives vs negatives before committing.
The camera on the bottom, not so much and yes I realize it was the drones ability to lift weight. My thoughts if this is the plan then actually lift weight of different values to see how it reacts and it’s limits (lifting a camera doesn’t tell me much). I would think you also have to consider the increased loading on the motor and props, what’s the safety factor on these and will you have a failure later on by doing this?

Best
2020-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules