Anyway to make it more quiet?
9773 13 2020-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ameri180304
lvl.2
United States

Mavic Mini.  Cruising the hood, it's kinda loud.  Usually go 300ft high, but you can still hear it - even quite a bit aways..  Was wondering if anyone bought after market props or something to cut down on the noise? Not sure if there was a solution for this or that's just how it is?

2020-11-24
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Based on some Youtube videos done by independent people the noise reduction of third-part props are negligible and from what I saw 2-3 dB difference at best.  Others may have a different first hand experience.   Based on noise comparison of the Mini, Mini 2 and Air 2 the dB levels are similar but the original Mini definitely has a higher pitch than the Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 and seems to be more noticeable to the ear.

I would consider that DJI makes the props specifically for the drone they engineer.  The props are designed to perform well across a variety of flying environments and unfortunately weather changes along with the locations you may fly.  

I personally would not be apt to use third-party props for the marginal benefit in noise and performance that they claim to provide.
2020-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is going on here? I just read a post that said the user could see his Mini over a mile away. And now someone can hear it 300 feet high! I must be severely crippled in those senses ;-)
2020-11-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 11-24 15:41
What is going on here? I just read a post that said the user could see his Mini over a mile away. And now someone can hear it 300 feet high! I must be severely crippled in those senses ;-)

Of course it is a nonsense. Only bats and cyborgs may hear or see a drone of Mavic class that far in open space. And yes, you're crippled. It comes with age ...
2020-11-24
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-24 15:41
What is going on here? I just read a post that said the user could see his Mini over a mile away. And now someone can hear it 300 feet high! I must be severely crippled in those senses ;-)

In this day and age of superhero infatuation the youth of today are developing heighten senses.  

In his defense on hearing the Mini at 300ft, complaining neighbors seem to have a keen sense for a ripple in force.  
2020-11-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ameri180304. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have provided. The DJI Mavic Mini has a specially designed propellers for the DJI Mavic Mini, these propellers provide quieter flight and powerful thrust for the said drone ( https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-mini-propellers ). Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mavic Mini drones specially propellers. Propellers are one of the main components of the drone that should not be taken for granted when flying your DJI drone in terms of compatibility and reliability purposes. In addition using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI drones and can void the warranty as well. Thank you for your understanding and fly safe always.

2020-11-24
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

Mavic Mini is a fairly quiet drone compared to other DJI models. The sound practically does not bother others unless you specifically look up. Good low noise propellers make Master Airscrew, but they don't have propellers for Mavic Mini yet.
2020-11-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic Mini = Giant Bumblebee.  I think DJI engineers the props for performance and very little for noise reduction.  
2020-11-25
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Mavic Mini = Giant Bumblebee
2020-11-25
Use props
hyeung
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10710965 ft
Canada

I used to think Mini at 300ft you won't hear anything until I visited this place. I can clearly hear it up in 400ft high. You can see where I was at the very beginning of the video.   
2020-11-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

GaryDoug said:  I just read a post that said the user could see his Mini over a mile away.

I certainly can't see my Mini a mile away in daylight, but last month when I was out in the really dark desert, I had no trouble at all seeing the strobes that I had attached when it was out almost 7,000 feet.
That same desert was really quiet and I could not hear the Mini at 300 feet up (but my hearing ain't the greatest).
2020-11-25
Use props
fansfb6a7f1f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10710965 ft
Canada

Both me and my wife could hear it.  I flew the mini again about an hour later in long grasses area. I flew about 5 feet above ground and I could hardly hear the mini after 200 feet away from me. It probably just different environment can transmit sound better. I am sure some smart people can explain it. That was the only time that I could hear the mini from that high up. I can understand your skepticism.
2020-11-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fansfb6a7f1f Posted at 11-25 17:19
Both me and my wife could hear it.  I flew the mini again about an hour later in long grasses area. I flew about 5 feet above ground and I could hardly hear the mini after 200 feet away from me. It probably just different environment can transmit sound better. I am sure some smart people can explain it. That was the only time that I could hear the mini from that high up. I can understand your skepticism.

it's nothing more than a very basic rule of acoustics. Any flat, glossy, reflective surface will promote sound transmission, while "hairy" and uneven will do just the opposite. Every audio recording studio or music venue pay a great deal of attention to control sound reverberation. However, certain weather conditions must be present in order to hear a dog barking on the other side of lake ...
2020-11-25
Use props
AAM Photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

K6CCC Posted at 11-25 16:33
GaryDoug said:  I just read a post that said the user could see his Mini over a mile away.

I certainly can't see my Mini a mile away in daylight, but last month when I was out in the really dark desert, I had no trouble at all seeing the strobes that I had attached when it was out almost 7,000 feet.

That would be me ;) Yes, strobes are why I can see it in a darkish environment a mile away, preferably over the lake
2020-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules