Mavic Mini Shakes during Takeoff
1121 18 2020-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
samuel_dorais
lvl.1

Canada

Hi, I noticed that my Mavic Mini shakes during takeoff. I have never crashed the drone, and I recently changed the propellers. If anyone knows what the issue is, please let me know. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/ZnhCrjYFVGs
2020-11-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

That's not normal or good. Put old props back and see ...
2020-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha sam,

There are at least two types / models of propellers for the Mavic Mini.  I recently changed mine and had to make sure I got them right.  If you get the wrong propellers on the wrong arm, the Mini will not fly right.

If that is the problem, it may be challenging to get the right ones back on the right arms and facing the right direction.  But, we are here to help.  

Look for the very small font raised numbers and text near the hub of the blades leading edge.  The leading edge is where the fonts are.  All the props should be 4726 props.  Each set of propellers should have a matching type both C4, or maybe both C2, or maybe both E2, etc..  They need to match.

The pairs will have the same lifting warp to them, the angle that allows them to lift or propel the Mini.  When installed and looking from the back and above the Mini, each pair should match so well they rest on top of each other on all four arms.  Next you have to get the right sets on the right arms.

If you double up each set and aim the tips away from the center of the Mini in a forward and back facing direction, they should each mirror each other, the right front should mirror the left front and the right rear should mirror the left rear.  This is with the blades laying on top of each other showing the same pitch angle for each of the four motor hubs.

Finally, the blades of the front arms should mirror each other and the leading edges should pitch up toward the midline of the Mini.  And the blades of the rear aimed back arms should also pitch up toward the midline.  Also the tips of the blades, with one or two chevrons, should match diagonally, left front with right rear and right front with left rear.  All this is not easy or casual.

See photo.

During set-up, just screw the bladed in by a couple threads so if you have to change them you are not damaging or wearing out the threads.  

Hope this helps!  Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-24 16:39
That's not normal or good. Put old props back and see ...

Aloha Matt,

Good to see you on the Forum!  I hope you are doing well.  This pandemic is the pits!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-24
Use props
samuel_dorais
lvl.1

Canada

Hello Matthew and Cetacean, thank you for trying to help me figure out a solution to my problem.  I have changed the propellers to the originals ones, and there is no difference in the flight. The drone still shakes a lot. Here is are images of the propellers:
2020-11-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

samuel_dorais Posted at 11-24 17:13
Hello Matthew and Cetacean, thank you for trying to help me figure out a solution to my problem.  I have changed the propellers to the originals ones, and there is no difference in the flight. The drone still shakes a lot. Here is are images of the propellers: [view_image]
[view_image]

The only other suggestion I have is IMU calibration, but I doubt it ...
2020-11-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 11-24 16:42
Aloha Matt,

Good to see you on the Forum!  I hope you are doing well.  This pandemic is the pits!

Yeah, I'm alive, but kicking is a thing of the past . Good to see you too, Brother ...
2020-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-24 18:48
Yeah, I'm alive, but kicking is a thing of the past . Good to see you too, Brother ...

Aloha Matt,

Ah yes!  The feeling is easy to understand considering I have so much experience with past abilities.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

samuel_dorais Posted at 11-24 17:13
Hello Matthew and Cetacean, thank you for trying to help me figure out a solution to my problem.  I have changed the propellers to the originals ones, and there is no difference in the flight. The drone still shakes a lot. Here is are images of the propellers: [view_image]
[view_image]

Aloha sam,

Well, it looks like everything is as it should be.  Matthew's suggestion about doing a IMU calibration might help.  BTW, why did you change the props in the first place?  The blades in the photos look in top shape.

Other possibilities are if dust or small rocks were kicked up into the Mini or into the motors.  Do each of the motor hubs rotate smoothly?  Do the blades swing easily?  If that shake is not stabilized, it will ruin the photos and video.  You may have to sent it in to DJI.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there samuel_dorais. I am sorry to see and to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Mini. Since after seeing that the said propellers have no damage kindly please try to calibrate the said DJI as posted by Matthew Dobrski and Cetacean. If after calibrating your DJI Mavic Mini and still the issue persist, I would recommended you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to check and give out the best resolution for the said issue and for us to be able to assist you further. Again I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obviously something is out of balance, Make sure the prop screws are tight and not cross threaded. If ok, put back the original props and see if the problem goes away.  
2020-11-24
Use props
samuel_dorais
lvl.1

Canada

Hi guys, I have done an imu calibration, and this did not resolve the problem. However, I have found a video of the Mavic air (1) having this same problem. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/haJYs6-Xhn8?t=139
In the video, he states that the imu is overcalculating because of the cold weather. Do any Mavic mini owners here have this same issue, though?
2020-11-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could confirm that by letting it warm up inside before taking it outside. What was the outside temperature?

It does look like it is shivering. And now that I have watched your entire video, I do see the snow in the background.

I live in Florida, so have no idea what "cold" is like ;-) jk
2020-11-26
Use props
Cragdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70089 ft
United Kingdom

Had this issue yesterday, was cold too, but sorted itself eventually
2020-11-29
Use props
Flaming
lvl.4
Flight distance : 250541 ft
Canada

It's definitely the temperature. Mine was doing the same thing at 4 Celcius but i suspect it was a bit colder with the humidity.  Today , went out for a quick flight at 7 Celcius and didn't shake at all.  

my thoughts is that at low temps the props become more rigid and uneven and cause an imbalance.
2020-11-29
Use props
Cragdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70089 ft
United Kingdom

my friend, and fellow MM1 owner, who just so happens to be a helicopter pilot, mutter something about cold air is "harder" so the blades might struggle to move smoothly through the air
2020-11-30
Use props
fansfb6a7f1f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10710965 ft
Canada

Good to know. Similar issue here. It shakes a few second and then is ok. Yes it is a bit cold
2020-11-30
Use props
samuel_dorais
lvl.1

Canada

Cragdoo Posted at 11-29 12:02
Had this issue yesterday, was cold too, but sorted itself eventually

Yes, exactly after a couple of minutes of flight the drone does not shake anymore.
2020-11-30
Use props
samuel_dorais
lvl.1

Canada

fansfb6a7f1f Posted at 11-30 07:39
Good to know. Similar issue here. It shakes a few second and then is ok. Yes it is a bit cold

Yes, I am happy that the problem is just the temperature. I thought that there was something wrong with my vision sensors (IMU) and would have to replace it. After a couple of minutes of flight, the drone does not shake anymore and goes back to normal.
2020-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules