Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
LOW Audio level with wireless microphone - Any ideas?
3747 16 2020-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James3342
lvl.3
United States

The audio level seems low when using the wireless microphone.  I ended up turning on PRO mode and upping the level to 20db and it definitely better.  Is there a way to check that my unit is performing properly?  I've tried a lapel mic attached to the wireless mic with same low results. My wireless RODE mic level is absolutely perfect.  

Any tests/things to check would be appreciated!
Thanks
James

2020-11-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey James, could you please upload two sample videos of shooting the video in normal mode and in Pro mode for further confirmation? Please also provide the firmware info to us. Look forward to hearing back from you.
2020-11-24
Use props
James3342
lvl.3
United States

Susan -

See below for a link to samples.  It is all self explanatory.  An additional note is that when in PRO mode the focus looks soft.....  This was in 4k, 30fps. To me, when the volume is boosted 20db, it seems about right (+20db might be a LITTLE too hot).   +15db should be about right, but the default recording level is DEFINITELY too low.  This seems to be in the pocket 2 and not in the microphone as I get the same levels when using a lavalier microphone as well.  

Please let me know your thoughts as well as the softness or out of focus issue in PRO mode.

Thank you!
James

2020-11-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Audio levels in the Pocket 2 generally seem set conservatively, but this could be that they take the view that it's better to avoid distortion, and they expect users to raise levels to taste in post production later.  At the same time, I'm finding that having the level set to maximum on the internal mics (I haven't tested the wireless mic yet) doesn't seem to cause overload problems, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there's some kind of limiter happening to squash peaks before clipping.  All in all, the better the audio quality of any device (especially in terms of system noise) the less vital it is to capture audio at high levels.  With digital audio recorders, peaking at -12db is usually recommended, rather than trying to get as close as possible to -0.1db.
2020-11-25
Use props
James3342
lvl.3
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-25 16:36
Audio levels in the Pocket 2 generally seem set conservatively, but this could be that they take the view that it's better to avoid distortion, and they expect users to raise levels to taste in post production later.  At the same time, I'm finding that having the level set to maximum on the internal mics (I haven't tested the wireless mic yet) doesn't seem to cause overload problems, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there's some kind of limiter happening to squash peaks before clipping.  All in all, the better the audio quality of any device (especially in terms of system noise) the less vital it is to capture audio at high levels.  With digital audio recorders, peaking at -12db is usually recommended, rather than trying to get as close as possible to -0.1db.

Thanks for the reply.  My main concern is that my Pocket 2 is operating at spec, just like everyone else's. If this is the way they are all set, then at least I know mine isn't broken.
2020-11-25
Use props
James3342
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-24 22:18
Hey James, could you please upload two sample videos of shooting the video in normal mode and in Pro mode for further confirmation? Please also provide the firmware info to us. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Susan  - as requested I posted a video.  See above.

2020-11-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

James3342 Posted at 11-28 12:08

I am sorry for the delay, I had forwarded the case to our engineers for further check. I will keep you updated once I hear from them.
2020-12-4
Use props
Tom899
lvl.2
United States

James3342 Posted at 11-25 14:45
Susan -

See below for a link to samples.  It is all self explanatory.  An additional note is that when in PRO mode the focus looks soft.....  This was in 4k, 30fps. To me, when the volume is boosted 20db, it seems about right (+20db might be a LITTLE too hot).   +15db should be about right, but the default recording level is DEFINITELY too low.  This seems to be in the pocket 2 and not in the microphone as I get the same levels when using a lavalier microphone as well.  

James, I have a new Pocket 2 and experience the same, normal sound level is rather low on normal settings. I also have the wireless setup, again experiencing exactly the same, so I beleive for the time being, thats the way it is. I believe default settings could use a little boost.
2020-12-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

James3342 Posted at 11-28 12:08

Hi James3342, for the audio issue, we will optimize it in the firmware, please wait for the firmware to update. Regarding the focus issue, it doesn't appear to be clear in the video. Could you please provide an original video from the SD card to us to check further? You can upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive so we can download it. Thank you.
2020-12-8
Use props
James3342
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 12-8 00:02
Hi James3342, for the audio issue, we will optimize it in the firmware, please wait for the firmware to update. Regarding the focus issue, it doesn't appear to be clear in the video. Could you please provide an original video from the SD card to us to check further? You can upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive so we can download it. Thank you.

Thank you!  Any ETA on the new firmware update?
2020-12-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

James3342 Posted at 12-8 19:37
Thank you!  Any ETA on the new firmware update?

Hi, currently, I have not received the possible date of the firmware. Please keep an eye on the official website or the announcement of Forum, once it is released, we will update the info. Thank you for your patience.
2020-12-9
Use props
Tommy Ramone
New

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 12-9 04:01
Hi, currently, I have not received the possible date of the firmware. Please keep an eye on the official website or the announcement of Forum, once it is released, we will update the info. Thank you for your patience.

The firmware update is really needed as there are issues with the wireless microphone. Especially the background noise. I really hope DJI can do something bout it soon.
2020-12-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Tommy Ramone Posted at 12-9 23:58
The firmware update is really needed as there are issues with the wireless microphone. Especially the background noise. I really hope DJI can do something bout it soon.

I had forwarded your feedback to our engineers and urged them for the release of the new firmware. We also hope that the new firmware will come out soon and bring a better experience to you all. Thank you for your patience.
2020-12-15
Use props
ndguardian
New
Flight distance : 29931 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2020-12-15 05:48
I had forwarded your feedback to our engineers and urged them for the release of the new firmware. We also hope that the new firmware will come out soon and bring a better experience to you all. Thank you for your patience.

Hey there! I apologize for resurrecting a dead thread, but I just got a DJI Pocket 2 Creator Combo and I appear to be encountering the same thing. Unless I take the mic and hold it directly in front of my mouth, the audio comes in incredibly low and muffled, which is extremely unfortunate. As far as I am aware my firmware is up to date, but if there is a way for me to forcefully update it I would be happy to give that a try.
2022-10-15
Use props
ndguardian
New
Flight distance : 29931 ft
United States

And just a quick followup, I did try what James had mentioned about putting the camera into Pro mode and upping the gain to 20. That was a night and day difference in audio. Substantially louder, much more clear, etc. If you have a firmware update that fixes this issue, I'm definitely interested in getting it.
2022-10-15
Use props
Frank76
New
France

Hello, the  trouble is known from the Osmo Pocket first version, I also have now the Pocket 2 and the problem is exactly the same with the audio adaptor. You have to push the level up to 20Db but then, you add a lot of noise. Which means both cameras are useless for a professional use. I expected DJI to have fixed this audio issue, but it's still the same with the lastest firmware and the Pocket 2. I'm really disappointed and Im gonna sell my Pocket 2 because I can't do anything with it. I'm not even sure this issue is fixed in the Osmo Pocket 3.
1-3 08:43
Use props
firatdede
lvl.2

Turkey

Wow now time is 2024 and problem still continues at Mic 2. Mic2 also records low at "standalone" and no DJI staff helping..
1-19 10:10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules