What does ISO MAX do?
3728 9 2020-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7465b4d3
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi fellow Osmo Pocket users,
I cannot find out how 'ISO MAX' works. In Pro Settings with mobile phone connected this option is available, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
It can be applied in AUTO and in M as well, but in both cases: when i set ISO MAX to 100, my Osmo Pocket merrily chooses any ISO setting it thinks necessary to get more light in the picture. Results are often too grainy, of course.
Since I shoot mostly in AUTO mode, it would be usefull to limit the ISO to, say, 800. But how do I do that?

I believe this is a feature that was addes in one of the updates. I can't find any information about it in this forum or in any manuals. Do you know if it is meant for what I think (hope) it is meant for? And how it is supposed to work? Thanks!

ISO MAX in Auto setting

ISO MAX in Auto setting

ISO MAX in Manual setting

ISO MAX in Manual setting
2020-11-25
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

iso max is is the range for auto iso, which makes iso not higher than iso max value.

E.X. If you care more about less noise, say: iso should be always lower than 400.  setting auto iso max 400 .

Pocket2 will increase shutter for auto exposure when the iso gets the set iso max value.

2020-11-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-25 18:27
iso max is is the range for auto iso, which makes iso not higher than iso max value.

E.X. If you care more about less noise, say: iso should be always lower than 400.  setting auto iso max 400 .

Hi ytao.

Don't you mean decrease the shutter speed increasing exposure time?

Ray.
2020-11-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It should not make any difference, unless you film in low light conditions.
In that case it will max the ISO to what you set it and lower the shutterspeed to get a correct exposure.
Very handy feature that I have on on my Nikon DSLR too.
2020-11-26
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Although the above are the logical answers, the OP has demonstrated with images that this does not seem to be the case.  For example a max iso of 100, but yet the display shows 1600, why ?
2020-11-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 11-26 09:20
Although the above are the logical answers, the OP has demonstrated with images that this does not seem to be the case.  For example a max iso of 100, but yet the display shows 1600, why ?

Perhaps the amount of light doesn't allow for a long enough exposure time between frames. Then you would have to use the exposure compensation to lower the ISO value and risk excessive underexposure. Even then, not many cameras allow more than minus 3 stops. so the ISO value would then increase.

Ray.
2020-11-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, fans7465b4d3. Thanks for reaching out. Although added, this feature is not yet working for the Osmo Pocket but this has been forwarded already to our engineers. As stated below in comments by other users, the Max ISO, should you adjust it, will only limit or cap the value of the allowed ISO.
2020-11-27
Use props
Zuban
lvl.1
Netherlands

Thank you all for your answers, I really appreciate it.
At first I tried to put Ray-CubeAce's idea to the test. But whatever settings I apply for shutter speed and by varying the amount of incoming light, ISO MAX never limits ISO. Which of course is explained by DJI Gamora. It's a feature, it should work the way we think it should, but it's not implemented yet... Strange. DJI Gamora, so it needs a new software update to work? Can you tell us if DJI will release any new updates for the Osmo Pocket (1) at all? And if so, when?
2020-11-27
Use props
djiuser_evW1GLj67cCG
New
United States

this was a couple months ago, and I'm curious if this is something that will be fixed or if dji is done with the updating the osmo pocket 1
2021-2-10
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The reason ISO max is at 1600 is because the photo you have provided shows you re in auto mode, you need to be in M with the ISO you chose not auto

Manual

Manual

Auto

Auto
2021-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules