Attempted to Remove Top Shell / Now M2 Won't Turn On
4318 19 2020-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

I attempted to remove the top shell on my Mini 2 to see if I could adjust the gimbal's rubber support frame, as I had a slight gimbal tilt after a minor crash. Trying to adjust the rubber frame from below wasn't allowing me to get to all the connections. So I thought I could get better access by removing the top shell after watching a few tear-down videos online. Adjusting the gimbal through the app wasn't giving me the proper results.

I got the back of the shell somewhat removed but decided to give up because I thought I was going to break it. I figured I'd fiddle with the gimbal adjustment some other way.   But when I went to fly the drone today, the Mini 2 would not power on with any of the freshly charged batteries. I must've dislodged or pulled out a wire when I was using my tiny mechanical screw driver to pry up the shell. Since I've pried up the shell, the little round sticker in the battery bay shows I've detached (partially) the shell, so I'm sure warranty service wouldn't work here.

2020-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DGCA3. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having these issues with your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate issue is happening on the sais DJI drone. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance.  Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit and to void the warranty. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-25
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

I figured out what was causing the drone not to get power. The flat ribbon cable from the battery to the circuit board came loose. It was such a clean break, it doesn't look like it was really stuck on there sufficiently to begin with. As for the gimbal, everything seems to be in place as far as the rubber mounts go.

2020-12-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's just hot melt glue, easy to fix after peeling off the old stuff.
2020-12-1
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-1 20:32
It's just hot melt glue, easy to fix after peeling off the old stuff.

It sure didn't adhere very well to the circuit board, to come off like that. You'd think I'd have to tug on the ribbon a bit to get it to do that.
2020-12-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well done for fixing it

Looking at DJI’s comment it is clear you were not going to get any help from them
2020-12-1
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-1 22:53
Well done for fixing it

Looking at DJI’s comment it is clear you were not going to get any help from them

Yes, they tend to be rather vague in this forum.

I did get a kit that makes removal of the plastic covering easier.

PXL_20201201_215048070c.jpg
2020-12-1
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-1 22:53
Well done for fixing it

To be fair to DJI their non warranty repair bills are not extortionate.  I flew my Mini 1 accidentally into a telegraph poll in sports mode, gimbal survived but top shell and 3 arms broken.  It ended up costing me £95 to have it repaired, around £45 was shipping  charges. I received a new unit upon return.
2020-12-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 12-1 23:04
Yes, they tend to be rather vague in this forum.

I did get a kit that makes removal of the plastic covering easier.

I have almost the same exact tool set. It is essential for working on these devices.
2020-12-2
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I hope you get it back together & working!
2020-12-2
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-2 06:58
I have almost the same exact tool set. It is essential for working on these devices.

Yes, they are.
2020-12-2
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

videoeditman Posted at 12-2 11:44
I hope you get it back together & working!

It's working now. I'll just let the glue set for a whole day before I use it.
2020-12-2
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

TDZHDTV Posted at 12-2 02:22
To be fair to DJI their non warranty repair bills are not extortionate.  I flew my Mini 1 accidentally into a telegraph poll in sports mode, gimbal survived but top shell and 3 arms broken.  It ended up costing me £95 to have it repaired, around £45 was shipping  charges. I received a new unit upon return.

It's good that you got a new unit. But £45 for shipping such a lightweight item is excessive. Did you ship it to China or a place in the UK?
2020-12-2
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 12-2 12:52
It's working now. I'll just let the glue set for a whole day before I use it.

That's great to hear how about the gimbal piece did you get that arranged like you wanted?
2020-12-2
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

videoeditman Posted at 12-2 13:12
That's great to hear how about the gimbal piece did you get that arranged like you wanted?

I didn't really see anything out of place as to the rubber mount the gimbal sits in. We'll see when I get it flying. It would always level out properly on the ground, but then start tilting while flying. So I'll have to check that out later. I want the glue on the battery ribbon to set for as long as they suggest.
2020-12-2
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DGCA3 Posted at 12-2 12:56
It's good that you got a new unit. But £45 for shipping such a lightweight item is excessive. Did you ship it to China or a place in the UK?

That was collection and return shipping UK to Netherlands and back with FedEx or UPS (don’t recall now)
2020-12-3
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

videoeditman Posted at 12-2 13:12

Flew it today and the tilting issue was still there. no matter if I did a level calibration on the ground, or manually adjusted the horizon in the air. It all just goes back to being slanted. There is physically nothing externally damaged on the gimbal. Must be something internal.
2020-12-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oh well, looks like a Care Refresh exchange is in order. I hope you have that.

It seems to be a problem for the new Mini 2. I don't remember seeing that fault described for the others as often.

2020-12-3
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-3 20:43
Oh well, looks like a Care Refresh exchange is in order. I hope you have that.

It seems to be a problem for the new Mini 2. I don't remember seeing that fault described for the others as often.

I missed the 48-hour care refresh time frame by half a day. But I would think the regular warranty would suffice.
2020-12-3
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DGCA3 Posted at 12-3 21:27
I missed the 48-hour care refresh time frame by half a day. But I would think the regular warranty would suffice.

You can still apply for care refresh using the video validation method
2020-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules