Feature Request | Real Time LUT for D-Cinelike Flying
1352 13 2020-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

Hi All,
I have a small, relatively basic feature request. One of the joys of flying for me is simply appreciating the beauty of the landscape from above. However, I also derive pleasure in ensuring my footage is in a format most suitable for post-production colour grading.

Can I suggest we have the ability to view our live feed in "normal" colour mode whilst simultaneously recording in D-Cinelike.

This would allow the best of both worlds, and I can't image it being too much more taxing on the overall system performance.

In summary I'm suggestion a simple toggle option that allows for recording in D-Cinelike, whilst viewing the live feed in LUT adjusted "normal" colours.

Any support for this from others?

Thanks, Joe.

2020-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Joe. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information. I will cascade and forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates with DJI, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-11-25
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-25 21:24
Hello there Joe. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information. I will cascade and forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates with DJI, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you and please stay safe always.

Hey Stephen, thanks for the acknowledgement. I understand you probably get many feature requests from your customers, I'm hoping this little "quality of life" suggestion makes it to the right ears
2020-11-26
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I agree that preconfigured Luts would be a really nice feature.  Especially a cinematic style Luts.  I would personally prefer the drone footage to have these Luts along with the screen.  On the phone side the processor power on newer high end phones should be capable of running Luts in realtime.  As for the Mavic Air 2 I do not know if the processor has the capacity to carry out regular 4K recording processes and color grading. This could cause significant heat or battery usage increase.
2020-11-26
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-26 17:37
I agree that preconfigured Luts would be a really nice feature.  Especially a cinematic style Luts.  I would personally prefer the drone footage to have these Luts along with the screen.  On the phone side the processor power on newer high end phones should be capable of running Luts in realtime.  As for the Mavic Air 2 I do not know if the processor has the capacity to carry out regular 4K recording processes and color grading. This could cause significant heat or battery usage increase.

Cinematic LUTS would be nice in realtime, but I'd be happy to simply be able to view the live feed with the "normal" colour profile, whilst recording in the D-Cinelike in the background. Seeing as viewing the live feed in "Normal" is already available, it's possible that there would be zero computational cost? Thanks for your support of this feature  
2020-11-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Joe Foreman Posted at 11-26 16:04
Hey Stephen, thanks for the acknowledgement. I understand you probably get many feature requests from your customers, I'm hoping this little "quality of life" suggestion makes it to the right ears

Hi there Joe. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other requests, inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2020-11-30
Use props
OlBigJon
lvl.3
United States

Joe Foreman Posted at 11-26 19:32
Cinematic LUTS would be nice in realtime, but I'd be happy to simply be able to view the live feed with the "normal" colour profile, whilst recording in the D-Cinelike in the background. Seeing as viewing the live feed in "Normal" is already available, it's possible that there would be zero computational cost? Thanks for your support of this feature

Could you tell me how to view monitor (smartcontroller) in normal color while capturing in D- cinelike. I know ive seen this before but cant find the answer
2020-12-1
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

OlBigJon Posted at 12-1 06:58
Could you tell me how to view monitor (smartcontroller) in normal color while capturing in D- cinelike. I know ive seen this before but cant find the answer

Hey mate, I'd like to know this too.

In fact this is the essence of my feature request for the DJI Fly app.

Thanks for the support.
2020-12-2
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Do you actually think there is a "normal color", straight out of the sensor ...?

Everything that the sensor delivers has to be processed and output with computing power ...

Therefore you have the possibility to choose one or the other ...

Your wish will have to lead to the processor in the MR2 doing both at the same time ...
2020-12-2
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 12-2 23:13
Do you actually think there is a "normal color", straight out of the sensor ...?

Everything that the sensor delivers has to be processed and output with computing power ...

Wouldn't the processing occur on the display device, eg phone, tablet, smart controller? Much like a dedicated monitor for a mirrorless camera does, for example. I don't know the answer to this, but I'm also not sure if assuming the Mavic hardware would bare the load is accurate either.
2020-12-2
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Joe Foreman Posted at 12-2 23:23
Wouldn't the processing occur on the display device, eg phone, tablet, smart controller? Much like a dedicated monitor for a mirrorless camera does, for example. I don't know the answer to this, but I'm also not sure if assuming the Mavic hardware would bare the load is accurate either.

Of course, the video must be saved (processed) - on a SD card - as requested by the user!

If you then look at the MP4 files on any PC, you can see the result that the MA2 "calculated" ...

The preselection of the color temperature alone is such a "conversion process", the application of a LUT to the data from the sensor, permanently calculated into the output video (SD card)!

The image sensor has so many "peculiarities" compared to any other that of course its specifics have to be fully taken into account so that the videos then appear "natural" or are available as "RAW" (D cinelike) ...
2020-12-3
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 12-3 00:59
Of course, the video must be saved (processed) - on a SD card - as requested by the user!

If you then look at the MP4 files on any PC, you can see the result that the MA2 "calculated" ...

Thanks for explaining that. It seems like you have a good grasp of converting sensor information to image data on the Mavic side.

What I am suggestion, or asking, is whether the D-Cinelike video stream coming from the Mavic couldn't be corrected in realtime by the mobile device / tablet to represent a "normal" image profile on the screen.

This processing would be handled by the mobile device, with no additional writing to memory required. The stream isn't full quality resolution nor bitrate as you know, keeping the additional performance overhead down for the mobile device. Does this make sense - seem feasible?
2020-12-3
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Joe Foreman Posted at 12-3 03:34
Thanks for explaining that. It seems like you have a good grasp of converting sensor information to image data on the Mavic side.

What I am suggestion, or asking, is whether the D-Cinelike video stream coming from the Mavic couldn't be corrected in realtime by the mobile device / tablet to represent a "normal" image profile on the screen.

... I have to / can agree with you ...
But this conversion would then have to be carried out by the Fly app and certainly complicates this piece of software (which has already caused considerable problems in the past) ...

Of course, that needs additional processor power on the smartphone side -> battery power ...

I think that (unfortunately) nobody will be able to do this kind of programming work (on the part of DJI of course), where there are currently many compatibility problems with some smartphones ...

But yes, this would already be possible ......
2020-12-3
Use props
AstralDaydreams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329619 ft
United Kingdom

I have found a solution as to how to view the Drone Footage Normally, while also being able to apply LUTS in real-time. So essentially FLY with a LUT applied.
I'm making a Video about it, it's super, super simple, and can't wait to share.
2022-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules