Random resets on FPV goggles when using AV input
4098 9 2020-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GerdS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4303379 ft
Germany

I am using the URUAV board and a FuriousFpv diversity receiver connected to the goggles AV in for flying my older whoops with DJI goggles.  This works well most time. But it seems I am getting random goggles firmware resets during flight, getting me offline for several seconds. When it happens, the screen goes black, then the DJI logo will appear and after some seconds the analog video will be back. First I thought this could be caused by a connector problem and so I tried to reproduce this behaviour on the desk, but without success. If I just unplug the AV in cable the goggles still display a monochrome screen, but don't reset with showing the DJI logo. I am also wondering why the goggles remember to use analog input after reset without reselecting by menu.
I also was not able to record the problem, as the recording will stop with the screen getting black.
I have already tried a firmware refresh (01.00.0600) but the problem is still there. The goggles and receiver are powered by a common 3s 18650 battery.
Actually it is uacceptable high risk to me flying analog drones with the DJI goggles, as several seconds without visual feedback usually end with a crash. When flying with Vista or air unit the goggles are working flawlessly as should.

I am the only one experiencing this sort of problem or is it well known?

2020-11-26
Use props
JchgMad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
Spain

you have got a bad video cable
2020-11-26
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

JchgMad Posted at 11-26 12:43
you have got a bad video cable

Why should a bad video cable provoke a goggles reset? If there would just be an intermittant connection I shoud be able to reproduce the problem by pulling out one of the plugs or just pulling at the cable, but that doesn't work. And if I pull out a plug the goggles don't reset but just display an emty monochrome screen. Why should they reset if an intermittant contact problem would occur during a real flight thenov
2020-11-26
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915233 ft
Croatia

There was a latency issue when you would switch from PAL to NTSC and/or vice versa on AV-in and the way they fixed it was to restart the AV-in system every time you regained signal. So sounds like you're losing enough signal for goggles to think there is none and to reset the thing.
2020-11-26
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

Yesterday I experienced the reset three times within a single whoop flight, one reset was even in near range in just about 5m distance with best signal quality. Still no idea what is happening there, tried again today to reproduce intentionally.
2020-11-27
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

GerdS Posted at 11-27 03:15
Yesterday I experienced the reset three times within a single whoop flight, one reset was even in near range in just about 5m distance with best signal quality. Still no idea what is happening there, tried again today to reproduce intentionally.

Don't know what to tell you, I whooped with 5 other people (at the same time) on Friday evening and didn't have a single reset. I only had it happen once when flying a friend's 5" quad with crappy vtx.
2020-11-29
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

fichek Posted at 11-29 03:35
Don't know what to tell you, I whooped with 5 other people (at the same time) on Friday evening and didn't have a single reset. I only had it happen once when flying a friend's 5" quad with crappy vtx.

I have done further testing with different cameras and vtx modules.  The problem always occured with the same two whoops which just have one thing in common, a Caddx Turtle V2 camera. Their vtx modules are different. As you might know the Turtle is a HD recording camera where the analog av signal is derived from the digital HD signal. Maybe something within its av signal is critical to the DJI goggles (e.g. sync pulses) and provoking the firmware resets.
2020-11-29
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

GerdS Posted at 11-29 03:53
I have done further testing with different cameras and vtx modules.  The problem always occured with the same two whoops which just have one thing in common, a Caddx Turtle V2 camera. Their vtx modules are different. As you might know the Turtle is a HD recording camera where the analog av signal is derived from the digital HD signal. Maybe something within its av signal is critical to the DJI goggles (e.g. sync pulses) and provoking the firmware resets.

Could be sync pulses messing up with your VRX module and it losing signal just long enough for DJI's AV-in to reset, OR messing with your VTX and it defaulting to PAL/NTSC (opposite of what the camera actually outputs). Try setting those cams to NTSC if they aren't already, I think DJI goggles default to NTSC.
2020-11-29
Use props
fansba711baf
New
Flight distance : 115833 ft
Poland

I have an Immersion rapidfire module that I have been using it with DJI FPV in two different ways:
- my external DIY dock, with its own power supply
- digidapter faceplate with shared power supply
I use a 4S 18650 pack to power my goggles.

I can confirm that I have experienced the video reset with DJI logo and then return to analog again (losing video for few seconds).

After investigation:
- it is not a problem with the cable (used different ones, removing cable also generates different results than dji logo)
- it is not a problem with any “module dock” as I used different docks
- it is not a problem with the power (tried different combinations)

It must be something with the signal sync as mentioned earlier. Maybe indeed PAL/NTSC.

Entering OSD in my rapidfire is an 100% way to generate the “blackout to DJI logo” as if it would need to reset the video mode.

I fly only whoops in analog and I lost the the video signal, got the blackout mid-flight once so I won’t risk anything heavier
2021-3-29
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

Meanwhile I guess the problem is caused by my Caddx Turtle V2 cameras on two whoops. My third whoop with a standard fpv camera doesn't seem to be affected.
2021-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules