Micro Jitter on RS2 with a Canon C70/RF 28-70mm
10832 31 2020-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi Guys!

We bought a C70 so because we needet a Camera that brings similar Pictures to our C300III but is better to use on a Gimbal. We testet the C70 on our old Ronin S Mark 1 without any problem, exept for it being a little on the heavy side and we werent really able to balance it perfect.

The Pictures however on the Old Ronin S where smooth as you would expect them to be. We bought the new RS2 and expected to be a little bit better suited for the c70 and perform at least as good with that camera as the old Ronin S.

Unfortunally that is not the case. We struggling with all kinds of Micro Jitters. The Camera is always balanced -excelent- and even in supersmooth mode on a focallength of 28mm we get those Jitters.

I put a Link with samples in. I am aware that i have to do the Ninjawalk and that i have to get used to the handling of the heavier Camera and the new Gimbal. I excpect all kinds of slow shakes by mishandeling of the gimbal but no microjitters.

Please have a look at the footage and let me know what you think the cause of those jitters in your opinion might be.  Is it possible that i do something wrong  or do I have a faulty gimbal? The fact that i filmed with that exact same camera/optik combo without any problems on the old Ronin S makes me wonder if got a broken RS2.

I am sorry for my english by the way! :-)
2020-11-26
Use props
FVP
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Same for me with a Zcam.
2020-11-26
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

FVP Posted at 11-26 11:31
Same for me with a Zcam.

Do you also have a front heavy lens?
2020-11-26
Use props
FVP
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Not really heavy. Just a 50mm nikkor with Nd and pola.
2020-11-29
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

FVP Posted at 11-29 08:59
Not really heavy. Just a 50mm nikkor with Nd and pola.

Because I have this hyposthesis that these jitters occur because there is some kind of bending on the baseplate going on.
2020-11-29
Use props
fans3f8be05b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have the same problem BMPCC 4K/ Sigma  18-35..
Beginning to regret ‘upgrading’ from Ronin S?..
2020-12-22
Use props
FVP
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Chillaz Posted at 11-29 09:05
Because I have this hyposthesis that these jitters occur because there is some kind of bending on the baseplate going on.

I think too !
2020-12-22
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

fans3f8be05b Posted at 12-22 04:31
I have the same problem BMPCC 4K/ Sigma  18-35..
Beginning to regret ‘upgrading’ from Ronin S?..

Well, not really!

What I found out so far is the following:

1. Activating a digital Stabilizer in the Camera makes things even worse while using an actuall in the Lens built in stabilizer makes things work perfectly.

2. Even without an Lens IS you get way better Results with an lighter Lens. The more the weight goes away from the baseplate the worse the jitter get.

At least I know how to reproduce the problems so I can avoid them. I allready shot with my newly gained knowledge a TV production and everybody was happy with the results.

About your Sigma: Try to support the Lens if you can. If it works, pleas let me know.
2020-12-22
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

These Scenes are made with the very same problematic setup. I just took way more effort in balancing and my movement. With a lighter Lens and even IS its as good as it was with RS1.

And these are the the shots with the a IS Lens. (Canon 24-105 IS)

Warning: It was a very austrian folklore heavy production - you have been warned:

Even with a Focallength of sometimes 100mm the footage looks way smoother then with the non IS heavy lens.
2020-12-22
Use props
GlassWalker
lvl.1

Japan

I have a strong suspicion that I know what is causing this: The weak connection (small surface area, one screw) between the baseplate and the C70 combined with the large torque of a long, heavy leans is causing jitters on every move.

How do I know? I have the C70 on a solid tripod with a long lens, mounted to the tripod using the DJI baseplate plus an an acra-adapter.

Hitting *PLAY* creates visible micro-jitters for a second in the beginning of each clip!

I've ordered the larger small-rig baseplate; I suspect that increased surface area of the mount, plus connecting with more than one screw, will significantly improve this.
2020-12-23
Use props
fansd94858b5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141932 ft
United States

Are you using the lens support attachment as well? That might help a little.
On another note, do you mind sharing how you even put your C70 on the RS2? What screw did you end up using on the bottom, there's three there and I have no clue which one I should use.
Thanks
2020-12-26
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

GlassWalker Posted at 12-23 00:41
I have a strong suspicion that I know what is causing this: The weak connection (small surface area, one screw) between the baseplate and the C70 combined with the large torque of a long, heavy leans is causing jitters on every move.

How do I know? I have the C70 on a solid tripod with a long lens, mounted to the tripod using the DJI baseplate plus an an acra-adapter.

I was thinking the same thing.

Please let us know how the new baseplate workes out for you
2020-12-27
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

fansd94858b5 Posted at 12-26 09:58
Are you using the lens support attachment as well? That might help a little.
On another note, do you mind sharing how you even put your C70 on the RS2? What screw did you end up using on the bottom, there's three there and I have no clue which one I should use.
Thanks

I didn't try the support thingy yet.
About that screw: You have to use one of those things:

2020-12-27
Use props
swild
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141932 ft
United States

Chillaz Posted at 12-27 09:19
I didn't try the support thingy yet.
About that screw: You have to use one of those things:

Do you mind sharing what adapter you used? I've seen them but I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks!
2020-12-28
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

swild Posted at 12-28 11:44
Do you mind sharing what adapter you used? I've seen them but I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, live is crazy right now.

I got my thread adapter from a friend but he said these are the ones: https://www.amazon.com/Camera-Tripod-Thread-Adapter-Convert/dp/B07H8DBVB7

2020-12-30
Use props
GlassWalker
lvl.1

Japan

Sorry for the late response as well, folks.

I got this SmallRig baseplate, and things are much, much better:

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-extended-arca-type-quick-release-plate-for-dji-rs-2-and-rsc-2-gimbal-3162.html

I used all three screws to connect to the camera, and the connection is now rock solid. Also, since this base plate is wider than the original, I was able to slide the C70 all the way to the arm of the camera, which makes it easier to balance. Unfortunately it doesn't line exactly with the holes on RS2, but it's close enough.
IMG_20210108_110453822 (Large).jpg

C70 on RS2 with Smallrig baseplate

C70 on RS2 with Smallrig baseplate
2021-1-7
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

GlassWalker Posted at 1-7 18:43

Thank you for your response.

Looks like a great solution! Does that baseplate have a serialnumber or something wich makes it easier to find?

2021-1-8
Use props
PetrC
lvl.1
Czechia

Hi, i noticed the same problems with C70 and RF24-70 shot handheld. Very unhappy about. Big microjitters. So in my opinion goes to internal stabilisation in camera or in lens. Or both ). Found any solution pls?
2021-1-10
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

PetrC Posted at 1-10 02:04
Hi, i noticed the same problems with C70 and RF24-70 shot handheld. Very unhappy about. Big microjitters. So in my opinion goes to internal stabilisation in camera or in lens. Or both ). Found any solution pls?

A lens stabilization does wonders while the internal software stabilization makes things even worse. I think i wrote something about it earlyier. I got myself the adaptor and use most of the time a EF 24 to 105 with IS and i think now its almost perfect.

Together with a better baseplate, as somebody else already mentioned, should fix that thing to 100%.
2021-1-10
Use props
PetrC
lvl.1
Czechia

Chillaz Posted at 1-10 02:20
A lens stabilization does wonders while the internal software stabilization makes things even worse. I think i wrote something about it earlyier. I got myself the adaptor and use most of the time a EF 24 to 105 with IS and i think now its almost perfect.

Together with a better baseplate, as somebody else already mentioned, should fix that thing to 100%.

thank you for tip!! take care
2021-1-10
Use props
PetrC
lvl.1
Czechia

PetrC Posted at 1-10 02:51
thank you for tip!! take care

so i switched off the IS in both camera and lens. but the image is still "breathing" when shot handheld while slightly walking
also switched of autofocus but still breathing
2021-1-10
Use props
GlassWalker
lvl.1

Japan

Chillaz Posted at 1-8 04:52
Thank you for your response.

Looks like a great solution! Does that baseplate have a serialnumber or something wich makes it easier to find?

Yeah, it's the SmallRig 3162. All of smallrig's products seem to have the same number scheme.

There's also a Tilta version, which is even harder to find:

https://tilta.com/shop/extended-quick-release-baseplate/
2021-1-11
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

PetrC Posted at 1-10 04:09
so i switched off the IS in both camera and lens. but the image is still "breathing" when shot handheld while slightly walking
also switched of autofocus but still breathing

Turn on the IS of the lens and try again. The Lens IS should work just fine. The digital IS of the camera body is the one that makes things worse.

Please let me know if that solved your problem.
2021-1-11
Use props
Chillaz
lvl.1

Sweden

GlassWalker Posted at 1-11 01:21
Yeah, it's the SmallRig 3162. All of smallrig's products seem to have the same number scheme.

There's also a Tilta version, which is even harder to find:

Thank you, I ll try to get one of those right away!

As I said, it works allmost perfectly with the Lens IS on but it will work even better with your setup I guess.
2021-1-11
Use props
fans274abf79
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I am having great difficulty mounting my C 70 on the RoninS. I would be very grateful if somebody could post some pictures or preferably video how to mount the C70 on the RoninS
2021-1-14
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

Big lenses needed to be mounted to the gimbal otherwise (as stated above), the weight is going to cause the mount under the camera body to flex. DJI's included lens support and strap is not really up to the job. This is especially true if you are using a lens adapter.
2021-1-14
Use props
djiuser_mQZd1j6DeaNG
lvl.1

Iceland

GlassWalker Posted at 1-7 18:43

[Image]
Hey, the plate you took a picture of on your camera, is it the same as in the link you sent? It looks like two different plates :/

Edit: I noticed now that you just switched places for the screws!
2021-2-12
Use props
WildFernWedding
New
United States

GlassWalker Posted at 2020-12-23 00:41
I have a strong suspicion that I know what is causing this: The weak connection (small surface area, one screw) between the baseplate and the C70 combined with the large torque of a long, heavy leans is causing jitters on every move.

How do I know? I have the C70 on a solid tripod with a long lens, mounted to the tripod using the DJI baseplate plus an an acra-adapter.

Did this help??
2021-2-17
Use props
GlassWalker
lvl.1

Japan

djiuser_mQZd1j6DeaNG Posted at 2-12 13:25
Hey, the plate you took a picture of on your camera, is it the same as in the link you sent? It looks like two different plates :/

Edit: I noticed now that you just switched places for the screws!

Yep, that's right. Now it's secured by 3 screws and is rock solid.
2021-2-20
Use props
GlassWalker
lvl.1

Japan

Yes - no problems with it now.
2021-2-20
Use props
JZzj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2201 ft
Georgia

Hello. I also had this problem that everyone has an RS2. I have installed this update v01.02.00.30 the problem has been fixed with
2022-2-1
Use props
JZ ZJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2201 ft
Georgia

Hello. I also had this problem that everyone has an RS2. I have installed this update v01.02.00.30 the problem has been fixed with
2022-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules