FPV goggle upgrade from originals - Newb questions
1127 1 2020-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhawk169
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

I currently have a Mavic Pro and DJI goggles (and decades worth of RC stuff). I'd like to get into building FPV freestyle / racing drones.I've just built my first FPV quad but have yet to fly it.  I have a few questions to that end -

It seems, since my DJI goggles (Original white ones) are not compatible or suitable for most DIY FPV drones (mostly due to the 2.4ghz operating freq and higher latency?) , I need to upgrade. The DJI FPV goggles, it seems, can operate on 5.8 ghz, making them compatible with the majority of 3rd party Vx transmitters (ie: not DJI, but 5.8ghz) that most people put in racing / freestyle drones. Is that all generally correct? From what I read, in the past, analog systems have been the best choice for low latency, but the newish DJI FPV goggles seem to be getting good reviews in those areas. Seems like that would make them suitable for racing / freestyle / long range / fixed wing stuff, no?

Before I buy the new FPV goggles over, say, fat sharks, I mainly just want to know that they'll work with other brands of video transmitters. I know the "air unit" doesn't require the remote controller, provided I have a seperate reciever, but the real question is - Do the goggles require the air unit, or can then recieve a signal from generic 5.8ghz VTX units?

My second concern:

While I'm at it, since the fly more bundle comes with the transmitter, I'm curious what the benefits are over my existing Spektrum DX9 DSMX transmitter that I use for my other RC stuff, and for now plan to use on my future FPV ventures. Is the range on the DJI transmitter much better? As far as I can tell, the only tangible benefits to the controller are that I wouldn't need a seperate reciever when using the air unit. However, in the fixed wing FPV stuff, I'd need a seperate reciever anyway.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
2020-11-26
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915233 ft
Croatia

DJI FPV goggles by themselves cannot receive analog video, but there is an AV-in which you can use to connect a FatShark-style analog video receiver (5.8 or any other frequency for that matter) or a ground station etc. Look at British Drone Industries Digidapter, it's a nice little addon that replaces front plate of DJI FPV goggles and has a slot for the receiver module just like FatSharks do with all the required cabling and voltage regulator. You will not want to fly analog video though after trying DJI unless you plan on hardcore racing. And yeah you're right about not needing a separate receiver being the main benefit of the DJI FPV Controller. It also has a ridiculously good battery life and I really like its build quality and collapsible antennas, takes up so much less room in my bag...
2020-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules