Night Flight - Class D - DENIED (why?)
1194 10 2020-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hunterws
lvl.4
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Flying at night.  Should not be confusing, but with changing laws every week, and DJI app not in tune with those laws, there's a lot of clashing I presume?
Searched & searched for info about night flight in class D airspace, everything I read says "get laanc clearance and fly".   I have not needed to fly at night before, but do have a strobe, and thought ... after sunset, they maybe no longer use laanc, rather go by a visual (trying to make sense of it).  Noooo, you need laanc clearance, but then I get shot down.

NIGHTMM2.JPG

I want to fly the xmas lights in our local park that is class d airspace .... and cannot for the life of me find reliable information that lines up with reality, today 11/26/2020.
Through searching, I get more confused, then try to search by date, and that isn't returning anything.  Check with the FAA "sure, fly at night" ... try to authorize, no, you cannot fly at night.

I'm chasing my tail and cannot figure out which way is up here.  Can anyone help me make this easy to understand?
1.want to fly at night
2.have strobe
3.authorization is out of the question

2020-11-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there hunterws. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the sensors of the said DJI drone may not work properly if there would not be enough light while flying. In addition, for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this matter. Kindly please send an email to our DJI Fly safe department at flysafe@dji.com for us to be able to assist you personally. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-11-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-26 20:45
Hello there hunterws. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the sensors of the said DJI drone may not work properly if there would not be enough light while flying. In addition, for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this matter. Kindly please send an email to our DJI Fly safe department at  for us to be able to assist you personally. Thank you and fly safe always.

What sensors it is a mini 2 has it got any !
2020-11-26
Use props
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-26 23:53
What sensors it is a mini 2 has it got any !

The landing ones, but when you get close to the ground they can work with the blinking light underneath the drone.

About the topic... I'm only familiar with the regulations of my country, sorry.
2020-11-27
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just like the app says, LAANC authorization is not available for night flights.  The only way to fly at night in controlled airspace is to get your 107, get a 107.29 Daylight Ops waiver, and then apply for authorization via the FAA Done Zone website.  
https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/webinars/faq/
C239DD1B-4D33-4F97-935B-60FBBFDD4B98.jpeg
2020-11-27
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-27 04:46
Just like the app says, LAANC authorization is not available for night flights.  The only way to fly at night in controlled airspace is to get your 107, get a 107.29 Daylight Ops waiver, and then apply for authorization via the FAA Done Zone website.

Then why does everyone say, you can fly at night (with strobe) as a hobbyist?
If you are part 107, for profit, then you need a waiver.  Hobbyist should not.
2020-11-27
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hunterws Posted at 11-27 04:49

You can fly at night as a hobbyist in Class G airspace.  But not in controlled airspace.  

The short answer is that a hobbyist can not legally fly at night in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, E). You have to get your 107, 107.29, and airspace authorization via DroneZone to fly legally in controlled airspace at night.

2020-11-27
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hunterws Posted at 11-27 04:49

2020-11-27
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

Thanks. (argh)
2020-11-27
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry, wish I had better news for you!

The 107 test is actually not that difficult to prepare for.  If you were a reasonably good test taker in school, the test isn't that difficult.  If interested, I can pass along links to the free materials I used to prepare before I did my test.  If testing was more of a struggle, one of the more structured online courses may be more suitable.
2020-11-27
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-27 05:38
Sorry, wish I had better news for you!

The 107 test is actually not that difficult to prepare for.  If you were a reasonably good test taker in school, the test isn't that difficult.  If interested, I can pass along links to the free materials I used to prepare before I did my test.  If testing was more of a struggle, one of the more structured online courses may be more suitable.

No problem & thanks for the input.
I've been fighting getting a 107 ... but may as well, I have a friend in realty and can always use more beer money.
Please do pass those along & thanks.
2020-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules