Battery Save vs. Quality mode, what's the difference?
7795 11 2020-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richparry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1620148 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the difference between video Battery Saver mode and High Quality mode. The Pocket warns that the High Quality mode may generate excessive heat but says no more. The manual does not help. I have looked at the files in detail, I see no difference in bit rate or any other technical difference in the files. Got any ideas what the difference is? What change in quality is there?
Rich
2020-11-27
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

High Quality mode has denoise process to reduce ISO noise.

It works well in static scene but not so much in moving scene. It creates motion blur pixels and diminish the fine details.

So you better choose when to use it rather than using it all the time as I did.
2020-11-27
Use props
richparry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1620148 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tide, thanks for the explanation.
Rich
2020-11-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I get the feeling that DJI will be tweaking HQ mode in a firmware update.
2020-11-28
Use props
Tom899
lvl.2
United States

Tide Posted at 11-27 18:39
High Quality mode has denoise process to reduce ISO noise.

It works well in static scene but not so much in moving scene. It creates motion blur pixels and diminish the fine details.

It sounds like, if the bitrate on both settings is the same (although, at least one reveiw I read claims the bitrate is higher on "High Quality"?), and it's just denoising, I want to choose "Battery Save" mode for best quality. I've seen an example where "High Quality" mode looks a little blurry when zoomed in (which might confirm they are trying to denoise). I personally have no facts, my Pocket 2 is expected to arrive Monday and I will test.
2020-11-28
Use props
Ron_H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4085 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=228962
2020-11-28
Use props
DJI30013
lvl.1
United States

I was looking at bitrate in the 2 modes and they were the opposite of what I expected.  In quality mode I see a bit rate of 24275kbps but in battery save mode I am seeing 80172kbps.  Is the noise processing causing this?
2021-5-14
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I speculate after denoising, there is less detail, so less bit rate.
2021-5-14
Use props
davitzakari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483527 ft
  • >>>
United States

videos in battery saver mode are soft, in high-quality mode has better clarity. I recommend high-quality mode. mine doesn't have excessive heat, at least I don't feel it.
2021-5-14
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

davitzakari Posted at 5-14 17:50
videos in battery saver mode are soft, in high-quality mode has better clarity. I recommend high-quality mode. mine doesn't have excessive heat, at least I don't feel it.

It's the opposite actually, high-quality mode has a filtering process which is making videos softer.

When you first take the camera on your hand is normal to think high-quality mode is giving you the best quality possible. It's in the name. That's wrong because the camera is designed with feet, and they called high-quality the noise reduction. You activate it and your camera start to filters to cleanup the scene. Take any other videocamera in your hand and you can see you can tweak the actual quality and noise reduction.

I personally recommend battery save mode unless you really need to reduce noise.
2021-5-14
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

I made two ~30 sec recordings, UHD (max bitrate), 25fps auto (set to 1/25s and 3200 ISO) late afternoon/early evening in-door.

High Quality displayed less noise, and if your material is for immediate consumption (with or without light post) may be the best solution (power banks are ubiquitous, so.... ;-)
High Quality 25fps-4k-3200ISO.png

Battery Saver is more noisy, but contains more details. If material is to e used in post anyway - i.e. for editing in FCPX on a new M1 based machine, you can easily tweak the final result (M1 is a Ferrari compared to my Intel "moped", so fiddling with settings are (close to) realtime in 4k).

Battery Saver-3200ISO 25fps-4k.png

The actual bitrate is close to equal in my example images.

Regards

P.S. I often wonder, why people ask, what settings do, when it's really, really, REALLY easy to just make recordings with the different settings, and then use the absolute best instrument virtually everyone of us have: The eyes. Even untrained eyes can see the difference here.  
2021-5-20
Use props
fans0c6c1ced
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I think Pocket 2 has color field uniformity problem close to the edges. I am thinking this is because the light from the lens travels more in the thickness of the IR blocking filter before reaching to  the imaging sensor and looses the red part of the visible spectrum more. I am hoping that the quality mode addresses this by adding additional internal computation to compensate for the reduction of red  at the edges... This problem definitely exist in the battery saver mode that I've been using...

2023-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules