Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low Satellite Fix Count on Smart Controller
2350 19 2020-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61486 ft
United States

First note: I'm *only* talking about the Smart Controller itself in this case.
I just got the SC and am using it with an MA2. Controls it just fine and can fly without issue. After opening DJI Fly it quickly will show 12+ satellites fixed.
However, I noticed that on the map in DJI Fly the RC position way off.... 50-100ft sometimes. Which, of course, makes it such that the "aircraft orientation" display in the bottom middle of the UI is all kinds of wonky in terms of showing that the MA2 is behind me when it's in front, or similar.

So, I installed an Android app I've used for a long time called "GPS Status & Toolbox" and went outside. Drone shows 13 satellites fixed. My phone shows 14 fixed. The SC shows **3** satellites fixed
It bounces back and forth between 2 and 3 fixed which is obviously not enough to high accuracy. I've tried going into "Location" settings and setting it to each of the 3 difference accuracy options.
I've used the aforementioned app to clear the AGPS data and reload it. I've waited outside for 30 minutes. But it never goes above 3 fixed.

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong? It's not the end of the world but pretty annoying since the stock MA2 controller with my phone is better at showing my orientation to the drone than the very expensive SC :/
2020-11-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You do realise the the SC is just reporting the satellite count it receives from the aircraft?
2020-11-28
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-28 14:35
You do realise the the SC is just reporting the satellite count it receives from the aircraft?

As noted in my original post, I'm looking at the satellite fix count in a different application than DJI Fly. And to fully clarify, this is **without** the drone even turned on, nevermind connected to the SC. I've found multiple posts and documentation stating that the orientation of you relative to the drone is based on the GPS data on the drone **and** the GPS location of the remote controller as obtained by the controller itself in the case of the SC. This all works perfectly well when I used the stock Mavic Air 2 controller with my mobile phone and the DJI Fly app. It shows my location on the map exactly where I should be and my position relative to the drone (or vice versa) correctly. It's only when I use the SC that my own location (as in that of the controller) is way off.
2020-11-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-28 14:48
As noted in my original post, I'm looking at the satellite fix count in a different application than DJI Fly. And to fully clarify, this is **without** the drone even turned on, nevermind connected to the SC. I've found multiple posts and documentation stating that the orientation of you relative to the drone is based on the GPS data on the drone **and** the GPS location of the remote controller as obtained by the controller itself in the case of the SC. This all works perfectly well when I used the stock Mavic Air 2 controller with my mobile phone and the DJI Fly app. It shows my location on the map exactly where I should be and my position relative to the drone (or vice versa) correctly. It's only when I use the SC that my own location (as in that of the controller) is way off.

Hi,

The position of the RC or Mobile device and the postion of the HP is also seen in the map view.
The Drone>LineToHome is the line of the actual position drone to the HP position data stored in your drone.
HP is set using the coordinates of the drone.
In the map view is also the postion shown of the RC/mob device.

So curious what you see in the map view.

cheers
JJB
2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 11-29 06:09
Hi,

The position of the RC or Mobile device and the postion of the HP is also seen in the map view.

Yep, HP initially is fine since, as you stated, it's set via the drone's GPS. The problem is if I change it once flying.... at that point I'm assuming it's set to where the RC thinks I am currently. And that's the problem. That location is wrong.

Also (and sorry, I can't go out with the drone to get a screen shot of this today) if I look at the map it will show my (as in the remote control's) position as 50-100 feet away from actual. This is being judged purely based on the fact that it's obvious when looking at the map that the blue dot showing the perceived location of the RC is not where I actually am. For example, it shows that blue dot in the middle of my neighbor's house across the street

Last night I was able to go out and after maybe 15 minutes I had a lock on 8 satellites (on the Smart Controller, NOT the drone. The drone wasn't even turned on). Which was definitely an improvement though my location was still probably 25 feet off. However, my phone right next to it had a lock on 18 satellites and a location error of only a couple feet.

So that's the main thing I'm concerned with - why is the SC so poor at getting satellite fixes? I realize it's still usable even at that low quality location fix but for $750 I'd expect this thing to have an absolutely amazing satellite receiver. Particularly one that's as large as the one in the MA2 as opposed to the type in cell phones which is tiny - yet somehow works better.
2020-11-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-29 06:40
Yep, HP initially is fine since, as you stated, it's set via the drone's GPS. The problem is if I change it once flying.... at that point I'm assuming it's set to where the RC thinks I am currently. And that's the problem. That location is wrong.

Also (and sorry, I can't go out with the drone to get a screen shot of this today) if I look at the map it will show my (as in the remote control's) position as 50-100 feet away from actual. This is being judged purely based on the fact that it's obvious when looking at the map that the blue dot showing the perceived location of the RC is not where I actually am. For example, it shows that blue dot in the middle of my neighbor's house across the street

oke, if you open in the app the HP change menu ; click OK and HP is set to the actual position of the drone. If you slide the map such that the arrow if on the RC postion.....and that RC position is not where it actually is....yes  a problem. If you move the map such that the arrow is on the map where you are than oke ofcourse...

Don`t have a RC myself, read too many issues  for the high price DJI is asking!

Hope DJI can help you out.

cheers
JJB

2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

Actually, I found the FCC teardown of the SC and it does have a decent size GPS receiver - which makes this even more weird.

2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 11-29 06:46
oke, if you open in the app the HP change menu ; click OK and HP is set to the actual position of the drone. If you slide the map such that the arrow if on the RC postion.....and that RC position is not where it actually is....yes  a problem. If you move the map such that the arrow is on the map where you are than oke ofcourse...

Don`t have a RC myself, read too many issues  for the high price DJI is asking!

Yeah - if this doesn't get solved I'll be returning it. It is quite expensive - but my main reason to get it was that my phone seemed to not be fully supported. It was pretty flakey and I just got it - didn't want to buy a new phone on the supported list. So figured getting the SC made sense.
2020-11-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-29 06:50
Yeah - if this doesn't get solved I'll be returning it. It is quite expensive - but my main reason to get it was that my phone seemed to not be fully supported. It was pretty flakey and I just got it - didn't want to buy a new phone on the supported list. So figured getting the SC made sense.

i use few devices, my Xiaomi MI pad4 cellular, an Android device size of a iPad mini.  not that expensive and works great.
2020-11-29
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-29 06:48
Actually, I found the FCC teardown of the SC and it does have a decent size GPS receiver - which makes this even more weird.

[view_image]

Thanks for the detail and research you have done in your post.  The symptoms you are describing are unique from the other threads.  The poor satellite acquisition on the smart controller may also explain the "aircraft orientation" inaccuracy on the Smart Controller.  Kudos for diagnosing the problem with data and not assumption.   

Unless other Smart Controller users can provide similar satellite data I would try returning the SC and getting a new one.  If it is not a systemic problem with the Smart Controller I think that your GPS unit or other component has a problem.  

I have been wavering on getting the SC and follow the treads related to the Mavic Air 2 closely.  I have held off because of some of the smaller issue that do not function properly.  I use the "aircraft orientation" quite frequently as the environments I fly in typically have significance amounts of WiFi interference and the orientation helps to keep the Remote more closely aligned in the direction of the drone.
2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-29 09:26
Thanks for the detail and research you have done in your post.  The symptoms you are describing are unique from the other threads.  The poor satellite acquisition on the smart controller may also explain the "aircraft orientation" inaccuracy on the Smart Controller.  Kudos for diagnosing the problem with data and not assumption.   

Unless other Smart Controller users can provide similar satellite data I would try returning the SC and getting a new one.  If it is not a systemic problem with the Smart Controller I think that your GPS unit or other component has a problem.  

I've worked in software development and testing and it pains me when bug reports don't have enough info - wouldn't be right to do the same ;)

I'm going to try to chat with DJI support tomorrow  when their live chat support is open. And yeah, unless they can recommend an actual fix I'll ask to have it replaced.
2020-11-29
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-29 09:42
I've worked in software development and testing and it pains me when bug reports don't have enough info - wouldn't be right to do the same ;)

I'm going to try to chat with DJI support tomorrow  when their live chat support is open. And yeah, unless they can recommend an actual fix I'll ask to have it replaced.

I don't have such good GPS reception with any other device as with the SC. 13 satellites in the living room without any problems. The MP 2 or 3 sometimes, the MM some more...
2020-11-29
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-29 09:42

I feel like people do not do their due diligence on troubleshooting problems.  There are certainly people with acquired skills that provide more technical analysis.  It seems many just throw up posts without providing enough information or without attempting to do experimentation pertaining to the nature of the issue.

Please keep me updated on the issue.  This problem in particular has been why I have purchased the smart controller.  If a resolution is possible I will be purchasing a Smart Controlling.

My opinion on your problem if it is not systemic is that some other component is causing interface with the GPS module or that the GPS module is fixed to only use the 3 strongest satellites for triangulation.  I find the latter hypothesis unlikely as it appears to be a generic module configuration on a custom board.  Most GPS module configurations try to maximize the number of satellites for accuracy.  In this case it could be the parameters of the calculation algorithm are not taking advantage of the robust satellite information and simply using the minimal number required for a rough calculation.
2020-11-29
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-29 10:20
I don't have such good GPS reception with any other device as with the SC. 13 satellites in the living room without any problems. The MP 2 or 3 sometimes, the MM some more...[view_image]

Thanks for your feedback on the Smart Controller. It appears that low number of satellites is an anomaly and specific to that unit.
2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-29 10:20
I don't have such good GPS reception with any other device as with the SC. 13 satellites in the living room without any problems. The MP 2 or 3 sometimes, the MM some more...[view_image]

I appreciate the input, but just to be clear I'm talking about satellite fixes on the SC. The satellite number you are pointing out is coming from the drone itself - the only way to find the number of satellites fixed on the SC itself is through installing a 3rd party application like the one I mentioned.

Granted, I would love if DJI would update DJI Fly to show the satellite fix on both the drone AND the remote controller. Both values are important - as I've found since, as I've found, without a proper satellite fix on the controller *as well* your location relative to the drone is incorrect.
2020-11-29
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF Posted at 11-29 13:56
I appreciate the input, but just to be clear I'm talking about satellite fixes on the SC. The satellite number you are pointing out is coming from the drone itself - the only way to find the number of satellites fixed on the SC itself is through installing a 3rd party application like the one I mentioned.

Granted, I would love if DJI would update DJI Fly to show the satellite fix on both the drone AND the remote controller. Both values are important - as I've found since, as I've found, without a proper satellite fix on the controller *as well* your location relative to the drone is incorrect.

Yes you are right, it is with the Mavic.
Here the whole thing without MA2. The app is GPS Test – top inside, bottom outside. Absolutely acceptable to me.
BTW, my Moverio BT-300 shows 0 satellites inside, 5 or 6 outside and works fine with the MP.
2020-11-30
Use props
djiuser_NAZHL3rSgeoF
lvl.2
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-30 00:20
Here the whole thing without MA2. The app is GPS Test – top inside, bottom outside. Absolutely acceptable to me.
BTW, my Moverio BT-300 shows 0 satellites inside, 5 or 6 outside and works fine with the MP.[view_image]

Alright - talked to DJI Support. I'm sending this unit back and they'll be sending me a brand new one.
Will see what happens when I get that one
2020-11-30
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-30 00:20
BTW, my Moverio BT-300 shows 0 satellites inside, 5 or 6 outside and works fine with the MP.[view_image]

Another data based post.  Thank you.
2020-11-30
Use props
fansd8b48c38
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13852129 ft
  • >>>
United States

Me too. SC fails to show ‘blue dot’ location on map screen. I loaded ‘GPS Status & Toolbox’ on the SC, and also on my CrystalSky 5.5”. Placed them side by side in the yard. SC shows 3 of 21 sats’; CS shows 10 fixed of 21. Sent the SC off to DJI Repair today.
2020-12-12
Use props
fans69e89da1
lvl.2
United States

Got my new SC today (finally! Got lost in UPS for weeks)
So, loaded it up, updated the firmware to latest, and haven't even paired with my MA2 yet. Installed "GPS Test" and was able to pretty quickly get it to fix on 7 to 8 satellites with a positional error of < 4ft.
Still not as good as the satellite fix count on my phone (or the MA2 itself) but I think at this point I'm going to assume that:
1) mobile phones have some extra GPS magic that has to do with also having a cell tower connection allowing it to show way more satellites than is probably real (It also shows more "visible" satellites and I half think that some of those are actually cell towers)
2) The MA2 likely has a better GPS receiver. Which - I admit probably makes sense. It's SUPER important that the drone knows exactly where it is but less so that the SC does. So they saved some cost with a lesser component. Granted, for how much the SC costs, DJI should really have an awesome GPS receiver in there! Especially when my $300 phone absolutely crushes it on satellite fixes.

Will take the drone out soon - but already it seems like it will be a lot better.
2020-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules