Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse99348c4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1663661 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,
I would really like some help in understanding what could have happened today while I was flying my I2.

I was flying in the city, not a very tight spot but definitely lots of possible interferences. I power up the bird, calibrate the compass since I hadn't flown in a while, wait for GPS to kick in, and take off. The first couple of minutes and everything is fine while at one point I get the notification that my GPS signal is weak and the bird is going into ATTI mode.

That seems very weird to me as I'm flying at 300ft with no buildings close by that could obscure my GPS signal. After 10 seconds GPS kicks in again. I bring the bird home, swap batteries, and give it another try.

While I'm in the air same thing happens, this time when I'm in ATTI, I let the controls go just to see if I'm actually in ATTI but the drone hovers just like it's in GPS mode. After a few seconds, GPS kicks in again.

Did this happen to you before? Any idea why this would happen?

I'm blaming the compass calibration I did before the flight. It might not have been a good one, but other than that I don't know what to think.

Thanks a lot!
2020-11-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This issue was discussed to death before. There's no reason for compass calibration unless the app is clearly demanding such! If so, the calibration must be performed in magnetic interference free environment, and compass reading values must be confirmed acceptable in several different locations. This reading is the most reliable source of information about compass efficiency and should be on pre-flight check list. Once calibrated properly, the compass should be leaved untouched. The app displayed warning (if present) usually indicates magnetic/radio interferences, which must be investigated first. Calibrating in polluted urban environment may render troubles you've just experienced.
2020-11-29
Use props
fanse99348c4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1663661 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Matthew, that makes sense and it is also what I was thinking based on previous readings. It's just surprising that I never get the same issues with MP2 or MA2 but only with the I2.

I'll definitely remember to calibrate only in "good" areas!
2020-11-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fanse99348c4 Posted at 11-29 14:33
Thanks Matthew, that makes sense and it is also what I was thinking based on previous readings. It's just surprising that I never get the same issues with MP2 or MA2 but only with the I2.

I'll definitely remember to calibrate only in "good" areas!

Keep in mind that not every DJI drone specimen is made exactly the same way. Some Inspire 2 pilots are reporting frequent compass calibration requests, while others are fine with factory calibration since unboxing! This may change after particular FW update. Or not. Mine M2P - for change - is demanding compass calibration every month or every 50 km when traveling. Go figure ...
2020-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules