Do I need a sim card
4874 7 2020-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
buehlerbg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

I have a phone with no sim card or cell service.  Does the new communication protocol require a sim card or does it just use wifi ?
Thanks,
2020-11-29
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't need either.  The phone plugs into the controller which then communicates to the drone directly.  No Wifi or Cellular required.
2020-11-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can fly without sim but you may not have a map if you fly somewhere thats not cached,  but you can fly.
2020-11-29
Use props
buehlerbg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

If as Kloogee say, the comms are handled by the controller, does that mean I can fly without the phone if I just want to watch the drone directly and have no screen?
2020-11-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

buehlerbg@gmail.com Posted at 11-29 09:15
If as Kloogee say, the comms are handled by the controller, does that mean I can fly without the phone if I just want to watch the drone directly and have no screen?

Yes you can, but if the aircraft is trying to warn you of something, you will never know. The phone is an important part of the kit, it is the display screen.
2020-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there buehlerbg. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You will be needing an internet connection when updating your DJI application. It is recommended to put your mobile device on airplane mode while flying it would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. In addition, it is not necessary to put your device in airplane mode but please make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-11-29
Use props
fans67c34d96
New

United States

KlooGee Posted at 2020-11-29 08:57
Don't need either.  The phone plugs into the controller which then communicates to the drone directly.  No Wifi or Cellular required.

So are you saying I can connect my phone to my mavic 3 pro and get unlimited range? If so how do I do that?
2023-10-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

fans67c34d96 Posted at 10-12 09:38
So are you saying I can connect my phone to my mavic 3 pro and get unlimited range? If so how do I do that?

No. A SIM will not let you do that. At the moment, it's not available in the U.S.
2023-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules