Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
1080p is enough for me
12Next >
5572 46 2020-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You read so much on here and every where about 4K. For me that is a nice to have but I still use 1080p on all my drones 99% of the time. I find the file data size of 4K to be cumbersum and too much to deal with. I have a 600mb Internet connection and 4K TV but to be honest I still feel that 1080p on a 55 inch TV is incredibly good.

Also if you store files on various cloud servers the cost associated with Data size and the extra needed for 4K for me is not worth the extra.

Also Youtube sort of does its own thing with quality and how it streams so I say again 1080p if perfect for most people. Even the 4 x Zoom on the Mini 2 and MA 2 for me is absolutly fine at 1080p.

Below is a video I took yesterday (29th Nov 2020) in the UK in very poor light. I zoom in a couple of places and I know those puritains will say it goes grainy but for most people just watching they are more than happy.

So here it is and I await all the comments from people who want 8K and to buy 1TB Micro SD cards.... Because they think more is better. Well sometimes it isnt
Also remember what you watch the video on and your internet speed makes a huge difference. Most people on computers for instance donot have 4K Monitors

2020-11-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Great job and thanks for sharing, Bigplumbs. Always have a safe flight!
2020-11-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks good,   I think we had the same weather as you here in Essex.
2020-11-30
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Thank you for the view and the footage!
2020-11-30
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Indeed Bigplumbs,

4K will only benefit on very large screens. On a 55" you will hardly see the difference. And as you say, a lot of devices, including the internet connections won't be fast enough to deal with the large number of bytes. On a small screen, like a smart phone or even a 24" computer screen, you won't have a lot of advantage, but you will lose a lot of storage.
Same as in photography, more MP doesn't garantee you a better image quality.depending on the use I will use my 18MP or my 36MP camera. Working in low light, I definitly prefer my 18MP. Less noise.

The reason I went for the Mini2 and not for the first one, is mainly the RAW images and the better stability with a bit of wind. I am not so much of a videographer.  What I like about the mini is the size, the weight and the lower noise, so I can use it where I can't fly my M2P.
2020-11-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JohnDG

I agree and also because it is so small and quiet people seem to be less concerned about it and I feel that I am being less annoying to people when I fly it

I also like the new controller for several reasons and Ocusync 2 is the dogs danglers
2020-11-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excelent footage
2020-11-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very impressive footage.  
2020-11-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very nice video
2020-11-30
Use props
Huginn Keningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

4K is quite standard nowadays... even on YT or videogames. Also you don't need a native 4K monitor to notice the quality as it will downsample. For example, 4K footage on a 1080 moniotr looks a bit better than 1080 on a 1080. On YT the same, 4K videos end less compressed than 1080 videos. Of course, 4K footage on 4k monitor is far superior to 4K footage on 1440p or 1080p screens.

Sandisk extreme 64/128Gb microSDs are quite inexpensive and you can have an external 2.5" 5TB HDD for less than 90€ to storage about around 100 hours of 4K 100mbps footage.

Not shooting in 4K in the Mini2 is like buying an SLR and shoot low quality JPGs instead of full res RAWs... you're going to regret in a few years.

I'm currently shooting 4K/30 and 4:3 AEB DNGs (hope they add more stops to the bracketing automation so we can have better HDRs). The only thing I don't shoot in DNG are 360 panoramas... I'd only do that for a pro work (170MP panoramas) but I'm currently uploading them to Google Street View and JPGs are just enough.

PS: I only have a 2560x1440p IPS 144Hz GSync gaming monitor and not going to upgrade it in the near future, but 4K in the mini 2 is the way to go if you want to futre proof your footage. 4K video is like a 20MP SLR camera, It'll allways look nice, while 1080p is like those dated 6MP cameras.

Storage is quite cheap, so there's no reason to not shoot at full res.
2020-11-30
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't wait for 16K for some unexplained reason. I guess to a guy, bigger is always better. I also can't wait to pay an enormous amount of money for a bleeding-edge pc and editor to handle that ;-)
2020-11-30
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

cool video despite the weather.  if you don't mind, next time you are out there, if you could try to shoot the same video except this time in 4k, please post it and we can take a look as an audience and give you feedback.    every since i've gone to 4k i haven't looked back but maybe....
i fell on the sword and caved in to getting the mini2.  hopefully i can sell my mini1.  4k, occusync, and wind are the primary reasons.
2020-11-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Keningar Posted at 11-30 16:22
4K is quite standard nowadays... even on YT or videogames. Also you don't need a native 4K monitor to notice the quality as it will downsample. For example, 4K footage on a 1080 moniotr looks a bit better than 1080 on a 1080. On YT the same, 4K videos end less compressed than 1080 videos. Of course, 4K footage on 4k monitor is far superior to 4K footage on 1440p or 1080p screens.

Sandisk extreme 64/128Gb microSDs are quite inexpensive and you can have an external 2.5" 5TB HDD for less than 90€ to storage about around 100 hours of 4K 100mbps footage.

I am sure you will not be surprised when I totally disagree with you. Why see below

4K just slows up devices.
4K slows up the internet
4K fills smart phones and Tablets and if these are apple devices storage is certainly not cheap.
4K has nothing to do with future proofing
4K Makes downloading from the drone to anything else very time consuming
Many people now watch content on small screens meaning 4K is pointless on such devices
Most people do not do a lot of so called post production work so what need is there for 4K for them
4K and beyond is simply a marketing device to drive sales.
Finally most people don't have 4K eyes
2020-11-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 11-30 21:21
cool video despite the weather.  if you don't mind, next time you are out there, if you could try to shoot the same video except this time in 4k, please post it and we can take a look as an audience and give you feedback.    every since i've gone to 4k i haven't looked back but maybe....
i fell on the sword and caved in to getting the mini2.  hopefully i can sell my mini1.  4k, occusync, and wind are the primary reasons.

My Primary reasons were Ocusync, Wind capability, the better controller and of course the little light at the front that changes to pretty colours
Have never been excited by 4K
2020-11-30
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-30 22:27
My Primary reasons were Ocusync, Wind capability, the better controller and of course the little light at the front that changes to pretty colours
Have never been excited by 4K

yeah i should have added that.  i have a smart controller and i definitely believe the mini2 will be compatible shortly.  cannot stand the mini1 rc.
2020-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I totally get your point!
Nice video!
2020-12-1
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 976798 ft
Netherlands

But why not 2.7K instead of 1080p just like the Mini 1? Though I fly now with 4K, I have not any reference yet with 2.7K compared to the Mini 1. Any of you?  
2020-12-1
Use props
-Gunter-
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353077 ft
Japan

Makes sense what was written about 4K videos to me. I started recording 1080p with the Mini and found it looks better with 2.7K shown on FHD displays. I just don't want to handle these huge files since a lot to the videos recorded are not that special - still special enough that I don't want to delete them. Also I don't own a 4K display.
2020-12-1
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

1080 is almost always sufficient and a good compromise between file size and quality. I doubt the majority of people have 65 inch 4k TVs where this format would be really worthwhile. But not on a PC monitor or even on a smartphone. I bet if 8k or 16k or 32k were available some would film in that format too, regardless, if the clip is 1 Terraybyte huge ("the bigger the better") . Ok, having the 4k option is not bad if you plan to zoom in on certain scenes, for example, but 1080 is more than good enough for the final footage.
2020-12-2
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-30 22:25
I am sure you will not be surprised when I totally disagree with you. Why see below

You sound like one of those standard definition holdouts when HD came along a dozen years ago. They made all the same odd arguments.
2020-12-2
Use props
SafariMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I will start to shoot everything in 4K only when this will be the standard industry definition or when I have a special need for higher resolution footage.
2020-12-2
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

That's what i said 10-15 years ago, shooting in 640x400 or 800x600. And now i have a lot of digital memories stored in the form of some huge square pixels.
Hmmm, maybe i should get a Svga Crt monitor for them...
2020-12-3
Use props
Juke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207182 ft
Finland

Not sure if this was a troll . But anyway I disagree.

Just bought 75" 4K TV from Black Friday sale. And the 4K footages look amazing. It´s autumn, almost winter here in Finland now and I can´t wait the views in summer.
2020-12-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DGCA3 Posted at 12-2 15:30
You sound like one of those standard definition holdouts when HD came along a dozen years ago. They made all the same odd arguments.

Absolutely not. There is a huge difference between HD and SD. I just understand when something has got to the point where more is essentially marketing Hype and as I said any benefits are outweighed by the downsides..... In this instance file size.....

Do I buy the latest Iphone ... No cos the one I have uses the same operating system as the latest one and actually has many advantages over the latest one........ Wisdom like this comes with age

So I am afraid you got me all wrong fella

2020-12-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Juke Posted at 12-3 08:44
Not sure if this was a troll . But anyway I disagree.

Just bought 75" 4K TV from Black Friday sale. And the 4K footages look amazing. It´s autumn, almost winter here in Finland now and I can´t wait the views in summer.

What source is it you are getting in 4K .... are you sure it is 4K... Cos I bet it isnt
And if ytou are refering to me as the Trol well that would be a little odd as it was me that started the thread.

Either way most comments tend to agree with me on this one. ie 1080p is good enough
2020-12-3
Use props
Juke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207182 ft
Finland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-3 09:20
What source is it you are getting in 4K .... are you sure it is 4K... Cos I bet it isnt
And if ytou are refering to me as the Trol well that would be a little odd as it was me that started the thread.

Sorry, I´m not sure what I did not express myself right. I recorded my flight with Mini 2 in 4K and replayed the footage in LG 4K Nanocell 75" and I think it looks amazing.
2020-12-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 12-2 15:30
You sound like one of those standard definition holdouts when HD came along a dozen years ago. They made all the same odd arguments.

except now we'll have the comments in a forum that will survive a decade later so we can look back on them unlike a decade ago where i was absolutely told you don't need HD, you cannot see the difference when i "stretch" my SD screen, I will NOT upgrade to HD, and yes, the HD file size is too big.

And today, the same excuses:  "Well, I never said I didn't want HD...when did I say that?"  lol lol

It will get to the point that majority people on YT won't even watch a video unless it is 4K or higher.  I predict in 2-3 years time.
2020-12-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 12-3 11:27
except now we'll have the comments in a forum that will survive a decade later so we can look back on them unlike a decade ago where i was absolutely told you don't need HD, you cannot see the difference when i "stretch" my SD screen, I will NOT upgrade to HD, and yes, the HD file size is too big.

And today, the same excuses:  "Well, I never said I didn't want HD...when did I say that?"  lol lol

Will there eyes have some how developed in that time. I say again most people dont have 4K eyes
Further they wont know what it is in and as long as it is acceptable and they are interestred in the content they will just watch it

I still watch some very old films and series...... Here is the thing....... I watch it for the content not as some hyper critical person obsessed with Pixels and haveing the biggest and what they perceive as the best
2020-12-3
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

For photography I'd say a good 20MP full frame camera is all you need for good quality photos in any condition, as the MP increase so does the diffraction so 20-30MP for a FF is the sweet spot.

And on the video side 4K will be the equivalent to the 20-30MP FF camera, it'll be the video standard for looong time. You aren't seeing 200MP SLRs these days (Canon R6 and 1DX MkIII are 20MP and R5 is 45MP) and you wont see 8K (32MP) videocameras being a standard... but 4k is and will be the standard just like any 20-30MP SLR.

8K will be the standard for VR content, but not for 2d panels.

By not shooting on the native resolution of the sensor you're just limiting yourself, shooting and editing 4K with HVEC H.265 is nothing strange these days and any computer can handle it nicely.
2020-12-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-3 16:21
For photography I'd say a good 20MP full frame camera is all you need for good quality photos in any condition, as the MP increase so does the diffraction so 20-30MP for a FF is the sweet spot.

And on the video side 4K will be the equivalent to the 20-30MP FF camera, it'll be the video standard for looong time. You aren't seeing 200MP SLRs these days (Canon R6 and 1DX MkIII are 20MP and R5 is 45MP) and you wont see 8K (32MP) videocameras being a standard... but 4k is and will be the standard just like any 20-30MP SLR.

I agree, and I will add, that no matter what you view you clips on, you should always shoot at the native resolution of the camera sensor, even if you don't post at that resolution, or even view it at the resolution. If you shoot in 4K, you can always go back years later and re-edit/re-render in 4K if you choose, but if you shoot at a lower resolution, you can never get back the full potential of the camera.
2020-12-3
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-3 09:18
Absolutely not. There is a huge difference between HD and SD. I just understand when something has got to the point where more is essentially marketing Hype and as I said any benefits are outweighed by the downsides..... In this instance file size.....

Do I buy the latest Iphone ... No cos the one I have uses the same operating system as the latest one and actually has many advantages over the latest one........ Wisdom like this comes with age

"Wisdom like this comes with age"

And at what age do you expect to get that wisdom?

To be honest, I don't really care WHAT resolution you choose to record with. But if you give poor examples of why it's pointless to shoot in 4K, you will be challenged on it.
2020-12-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DGCA3 Posted at 12-3 17:57
"Wisdom like this comes with age"

And at what age do you expect to get that wisdom?

Except my Examples were not poor.     As I said look back most people are agreeing with the statement at the top of this thread..... 1080P is enough for me.

All that high end photo talk leaves most people behind. Most just set it to Auto a film a little bit of stuff and enjoy it with out all the OCD hyper critical nonsense
2020-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-3 16:21

And on the video side 4K will be the equivalent to the 20-30MP FF camera, it'll be the video standard for looong time. You aren't seeing 200MP SLRs these days (Canon R6 and 1DX MkIII are 20MP and R5 is 45MP) and you wont see 8K (32MP) videocameras being a standard... but 4k is and will be the standard just like any 20-30MP SLR.

As David from Schitts Creek would say ................' I dont even know what that means'
2020-12-4
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

You're one of those people in forums that others quickly realise not to bother offering their expertise to.
2020-12-4
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

Anyone enjoying video/photos usually want to squeeze their equipment capabilities, no matter what that equipment is (mobile phones, DSRLs, drones, video cameras...).

Unless you bought the drone just to fly around like an RC plane/copter, you sound just like those analog talibans in the early 2000s that stuck to analog no matter what because they were too afraid to learn something new. Where are they now?

I just can't simply understand how a person that spends 600+ € on a 4K cappable state of the art drone want to shoot 1080p... Like buying a Canon R5 (8K cappable) and shooting 6MP JPEGs and 720p videos because potatoes ¬_¬U
2020-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DGCA3 Posted at 12-4 01:06
You're one of those people in forums that others quickly realise not to bother offering their expertise to.

Yet you continue..... Perhaps it is you that dont like to be proven wrong
2020-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-4 03:50
Anyone enjoying video/photos usually want to squeeze their equipment capabilities, no matter what that equipment is (mobile phones, DSRLs, drones, video cameras...).

Unless you bought the drone just to fly around like an RC plane/copter, you sound just like those analog talibans in the early 2000s that stuck to analog no matter what because they were too afraid to learn something new. Where are they now?

I can assure you I have spent more than that and it is like so many things not about the money.

The fact that you cant understand sort of means that you have not read much of this thread or indeed understood it..... Most people agree that 1080P is very good and the extra data size of 4k is not worth the perceived extra quality. You also only get 2x Zoom in 4K but 4x zoom in 1080P.

I am wondering what part of that you don't understand.
2020-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cap0ne Posted at 12-3 08:18
That's what i said 10-15 years ago, shooting in 640x400 or 800x600. And now i have a lot of digital memories stored in the form of some huge square pixels.
Hmmm, maybe i should get a Svga Crt monitor for them...

You don't seem to understand that things can reach a peak and then going beyond often does not make them any better only more complicated. People who sell stuff have to do this to con those that think bigger, Faster etc is better.

For example there is absolutely no point in a car that parks itself or about 80 % of the buttons on most remote controls
2020-12-4
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

Plumbs enjoys being a Luddite.
2020-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DGCA3 Posted at 12-4 04:21
Plumbs enjoys being a Luddite.

Still trying I see..... You rather assumed in previous Posts that I wanted help or advice...... Never a good idea when the person who thinks they are giving the help knows rather less than the person they are trying to tell.

If 1080p is so poor why then is most content supplied in that standard and very very little in 4K might it be because the increased data size of 4K is a problem.

Still you be first in line when 8K comes out I am sure you will be king of the castle with that.
Do carry on being a  Cartwrightian.
2020-12-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules