Should I attach a tracker to my drone?
707 8 2020-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Graham Tallman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have recently purchased a DJI Mavic 2 Pro and after reading a few stories about drones being lost I was wondering about the wisdom (or not) of attaching a Tracker to the Drone? I understand the drone has in-built GPS tracking but I have read that it is only operational for as long as the drone battery has a charge.  In the case of a fly away, I believe it is very likely that the drone battery would be drained before it landed / crashed.  

I have a Vodafone V-Multi Tracker which uses GPS, Mobile, WiFi and Bluetooth to help generate a reliable method of tracking and can last a 2-3 days on a single charge.  

I have worked out how to attach the device to the drone without interferring with any of the sensors however my main concern with attaching a device to the drone is interference with the drone's GPS, compass, controller, etc.  I am fairly confident I could locate the drone if it did fly away however is it likely that attaching a tracker like this could actually cause it to fly away?  

I have read some threads suggesting attaching a tracker is ok but to make sure the compass is recalibrated which I would do before every flight in any case.  Does anyone have advice or experience with attaching trackers to the drone?

2020-12-1
Use props
fanse21db91e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 287329 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since a GPS receiver doesn’t transmit your biggest fear is gone.  I believe mounted on a location that would not interfere with the reception of your on board GPS and you can determine that by some test flights after you mount it.

Note: My post is showing some other user as I am William Gomban and I’m flying a mail air 2 now.  Perhaps the Id displayed is of the guy who purchased my Mavic air a few months ago.
2020-12-1
Use props
Graham Tallman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks fanse21db91e - will try out and see how I get on...
2020-12-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have had 2 Mavic 2 Pros and been flying them since launch,  Ive never had any issues with fly aways etc,  you just need to make sure that you have a good satellite lock before take off,  dont take off with mag interference showing and recalibrate the compass when prompted to do so (after checking its not a metal interference causing it - like rebar in the ground or a seawall).
2020-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you fly sensible, there is no need for a tracker.
There are cases of fly aways, but most can be traced back to some kind of human 'error' (most of the time doing something less sensible)
Having said that, there is always a risk of a drone acting up, since it is a lot of soft- and hardware that can malfunction.

You can minimize the risk of problems with a few simple steps:
- Check your props before every flight.
- Don't take off from metal surfaces (or anything with metal inside it)
- Make sure you have very good GPS reception before taking off.
- Watch out for compass errors (I never got them, but when you do, land asap)
- Only calibrate the drone when prompted to (there is debate about this, some say they do it before every flight and have 0 issues, some say they never do it unless prompted by the app and have 0 issues)
- Don't fly the drone too far or in areas with lots of radio signals. (unless you are very confident with the drone)
- Fly against the wind the first part of the flight (so the drone does not have to fight it on the way back)
- Make sure you hover for a few moments at low altitude to check for errors or strange behavior

If you follow these guides (there will be more, I'm sure, but this is my list) you have done as much as you can to prevent problems.

And for the GPS tracker : I personally would not add it to my drone. I know they have margins, but they are designed in a certain way (balance etc.) that I would be hesitate about adding too much stuff unless it is of great use.
The drone has its own GPS so unless that breaks down, you don't need a tracker and you can see via 'find my drone' where it was located last.

Just my 2 cents of course!
2020-12-2
Use props
Graham Tallman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Many thanks Montfrooij - very sound advice
2020-12-2
Use props
Graham Tallman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-2 03:16
I have had 2 Mavic 2 Pros and been flying them since launch,  Ive never had any issues with fly aways etc,  you just need to make sure that you have a good satellite lock before take off,  dont take off with mag interference showing and recalibrate the compass when prompted to do so (after checking its not a metal interference causing it - like rebar in the ground or a seawall).

Thank you DAFIys - probably just being over cautious being a newby!  
2020-12-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Graham Tallman Posted at 12-2 09:01
Thank you DAFIys - probably just being over cautious being a newby!

Nothing wrong with being cautious. Just make sure you have at least 11 sats before takeoff.
2020-12-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fly aways are extremely rare - save your money and follow what Monty said
2020-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now