18826 53 2020-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 4-2 22:30
Am I alone in thinking that a lot of the time too much is done on editing photos? Quite a few times I have viewed photographs/videos on here and thought, "no, it just looks fake". Colours are too vivid, sea/sky too blue, grass too green etc etc. What is wrong with seeing things in their natural colours/states. I'm remembered of the old adage, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Yes, I agree. It has always been thus.
2021-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

yogi053 Posted at 4-2 22:30
Am I alone in thinking that a lot of the time too much is done on editing photos? Quite a few times I have viewed photographs/videos on here and thought, "no, it just looks fake". Colours are too vivid, sea/sky too blue, grass too green etc etc. What is wrong with seeing things in their natural colours/states. I'm remembered of the old adage, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Am I alone in thinking that a lot of the time too much is done on editing photos? Quite a few times I have viewed photographs/videos on here and thought, "no, it just looks fake".

There's no relationship between how much time is spent editing and how good/bad the final image looks.
The overcooked images you are talking about could easily be done in just a few seconds.
Sometimes it can take quite a while editing some images just to make it look natural.
2021-4-3
Use props
ranrick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Beautiful shots!
2021-4-3
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Great!
2021-4-3
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 4-3 04:34
Am I alone in thinking that a lot of the time too much is done on editing photos? Quite a few times I have viewed photographs/videos on here and thought, "no, it just looks fake".

There's no relationship between how much time is spent editing and how good/bad the final image looks.

I didn't mean time spent on editing. I agree with you that editing times can vary greatly. What I meant was too much changing from the 'original' shots to the final product is something I don't agree with. I'm not explaining myself very well, am I? Editing, as in splicing videos etc to cut out unwanted clips I fully understand is necessary but when the editors start changing colour gradings, brilliance levels etc so that it doesn't look 'natural' I find myself wondering what the original looked like. I have watched lots of videos on here and on other forums and have been amazed at the quality shown but there are quite a few that just look too perfect, staged or indeed fake as I said in my original comment.
2021-4-4
Use props
Moonraker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54931 ft
United Kingdom

I'm struggling with my new mini2 image noise/artifacts. See below. I normally shoot at 100 iso and Raw and JPG, get lots of artifacts in pictures, especially panoramas (video seems ok), and  idea's/suggestions apprecitated! Am I better off manually creating panorama's and stitching in Lightroom (I do like the convenience of the auto pano modes though!).
2021-11-10
Use props
djiuser_QE06MdzIWEip
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1105322 ft
Romania

Night photo
2021-11-11
Use props
Moonraker
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm still really struggling with the images on my mini 2. I'm an experienced photographer, and always use dng/raw and lightroom. There is terrible noise/artifacts in my images. Below is a example (minimal processing to make the jpg), It doesn't seem like image noise in the normal way I'd deal with it (DeNoise has little effect when using it either). Have I got a lemon? Do I need to send back?
Any help/ideas would be much appreciated. I admit the lighting was not the best on below, but I'd expect more traditional image noise...
2021-12-4
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

What cute little house!
2021-12-5
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

jonny007 Posted at 2020-12-3 00:26
Thanks Huginn Keningar for the comparison. As I said, it is always a subjective opinion whether and how good a picture is. It depends on personal preferences, so there are people who like it warmer (more reddish), others natural (more greenish) or colder (more bluish) or again others who prefer bright candy colors. I find your 2nd and 4th picture nice, the 1st and 3rd too red/purple FOR ME. I think you can get (almost) the same result if you edit the JPG, but ok, you're right, if you have DNG available, it makes sense to edit this one. Here 2 pictures of my Mini 1, a manual panorama of 3 pictures. Below JPG directly from the camera, above JPG edited.

[view_image]

DNG must be edited. It is unsightly to look at raw files. JPG can look great if you take the time to nail it on the spot. If you pay attention to the lighting JPG is ok to edit with. There are times when even DNG will not save the photo. It is more important to apply photography knowledge and take the time to get your photo right than DNG/JPG choice. Of course I understand for someone getting paid to take photos, efficiency is more important so they need DNG to allow some room for error. Saving a shot is money literally.
2021-12-5
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Moonraker Posted at 12-4 02:17
I'm still really struggling with the images on my mini 2. I'm an experienced photographer, and always use dng/raw and lightroom. There is terrible noise/artifacts in my images. Below is a example (minimal processing to make the jpg), It doesn't seem like image noise in the normal way I'd deal with it (DeNoise has little effect when using it either). Have I got a lemon? Do I need to send back?
Any help/ideas would be much appreciated. I admit the lighting was not the best on below, but I'd expect more traditional image noise...
[view_image]

Hi Moonraker,

do you get the pictures right from the memory card of your drone ?
Those things on your picture are not noise. It's kind of colored artifacts, maybe damages on your digital file. Therefore I'm wondering if that is a file transmitted to your smartphone and damaged by interference or you actually got that on the pictures from your memory card. If the latter, why not trying another memory card and don't forget to format it IN your drone, not on a PC.
2021-12-5
Use props
Moonraker
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 12-5 23:53
Hi Moonraker,

do you get the pictures right from the memory card of your drone ?

thanks for the response. They were from the memory card direct.. I'll try another card, but the images from transmission to my phone display similar, so not sure it's the card?
2021-12-6
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Moonraker Posted at 12-6 07:57
thanks for the response. They were from the memory card direct.. I'll try another card, but the images from transmission to my phone display similar, so not sure it's the card?

Those transmitted are a lower quality and interference could do it's part too.
When you say it's strait from the memory card, do you have it constantly or only in a certain area?

I'm thinking of very strong electro-magnetic interference. Try flying in a different area, try a different memory card (formated in your drone) and see if it is persistent.
If still problems contact DJI. This is not normal.
Look at pictures posted on this forum of other mini 2 owners.
Noise from such a small sensor and in darker area's is normal. But what you have is certainly not noise.
2021-12-6
Use props
Moonraker
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Interestingly, I did a test, indoors, camera on and the drone on a table. Squeezing parts of the drone body stopped the issue, now seems ok...
Before:
After:

I'll have to test fully in flight when the latest storm has passed..
2021-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules