Manual Focus - Feature Request!
5005 15 2020-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jasta ~
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500554 ft
Philippines

MANUAL FOCUSING is the only feature we all need!
We know that pressing the SWITCH BUTTON TWICE will allow us to cycle the CONTROL STICK from GIMBAL to ZOOM.
ADD A NEW FEATURE by PRESSING THRICE to SWITCH the CONTROL STICK to do MANUAL FOCUSING.

What do you think?

tempsnip.png
2020-12-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Jasta ~. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information you have shared with us. I will cascade and forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates on the DJI Pocket 2, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-12-2
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I don't think it would be possible to judge on that tiny screen.
2020-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I totally wish they would allow for this!
2020-12-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 great idea.
2020-12-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great suggestion
2020-12-3
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It might be possible to judge focus if the screen went into  'magnify' mode for manual focus?
2020-12-3
Use props
Jasta ~
Second Officer
Philippines

John Walker Posted at 12-3 03:23
It might be possible to judge focus if the screen went into  'magnify' mode for manual focus?

good one.

while on the MANUAL FOCUS MODE, everytime you PUSH or PULL the STICK, screen will automatically on a MAGNIFY mode and the FOCUS PEAKING  like the one in FiLMic Pro (App for iOS & Android)

2020-12-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I just tried the existing manual focus system for the first time, inspired by this discussion, and even in my lounge at night, it seems to work pretty well.  I positioned the camera close to an object so the object was on the left side of the picture, then (with focus set to "single") tapped on that object on the little screen.  Then I tapped on something further away at the end of the room.  Repeated a few times.  On playback, focus accurately switched from one point to the other without hesitation.  I notice the focus reticule is very small, so even on the tiny screen, it's possible to make quite an accurate point for focus.  

The trouble with zoomed in focussing is that you need to somehow select what will be zoomed in on - the centre of the screen might not be the right point.  It all gets a bit tricky I would have thought, assuming we are talking about the built in screen, not the Mimo app.

But someone else has already commented that in some situations, focussing is actually too quick, if you are wanting to emulate a kind of slow pull.  With test I just did, it just jumped quickly from one focus point to the other.  If there was a setting like those for gimbal speed and zoom speed, but for focus speed, it would be possible to do more artistic focus changes, even using the tiny screen.
2020-12-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

And by the way - I would have thought that the neatest way of controlling focussing with the joystick would be that up and down would be zoom, and left and right would be focus.  No need for three clicks.  In the theory of gimbal camerawork, tilt is more important to control than pan (especially if tilt locked).  As it is, tilt control is sacrificed when the joystick controls zoom, so losing pan control too would be no big deal I would have thought.  But I still think it's not a practical idea on this device.
2020-12-4
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The problem I have with the tap to focus (which does work well) is that in bright lighting I can't see the small white reticule to be sure it's responded to my tap.  An bright yellow reticule like the Continuous Focus one would be more useful for me.
2020-12-4
Use props
Jasta ~
Second Officer
Philippines

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-4 01:43
I just tried the existing manual focus system for the first time, inspired by this discussion, and even in my lounge at night, it seems to work pretty well.  I positioned the camera close to an object so the object was on the left side of the picture, then (with focus set to "single") tapped on that object on the little screen.  Then I tapped on something further away at the end of the room.  Repeated a few times.  On playback, focus accurately switched from one point to the other without hesitation.  I notice the focus reticule is very small, so even on the tiny screen, it's possible to make quite an accurate point for focus.  

The trouble with zoomed in focussing is that you need to somehow select what will be zoomed in on - the centre of the screen might not be the right point.  It all gets a bit tricky I would have thought, assuming we are talking about the built in screen, not the Mimo app.

Would like to see the result of your test.

Pull focus really makes an impact when it comes to filming (not vlogging) and this tiny little pocket 2 we have can deliver much BETTER results if that manual focus/pull focus is implemented.. .
2020-12-7
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I joined to this group who wants manual focus too. Even my Sony smartphone has it.

Should be pretty easy to implement(?)
2021-5-20
Use props
natoratomi
lvl.1
Czechia

Yes, I'm in too, this would make the DJI Pocket an unbeatable camera. You could set the focus speed on there too.
2022-9-23
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Would be nice to have the option, not sure what would be the most practical way of implementing it though.
2022-9-24
Use props
Ricardo Vieira
lvl.4
Portugal

I lost faith about we're getting a firmware update at all... if it's a marketing strategy, at least for me it doesn't work... because I've lost faith in DJI... the camera it's good but I expected more in terms of firmware updates for correcting things, it's really bad they don't correct things that should work correctly in the first place... like flickering in 60fps... tracking, I've stop using it, I track better my self with my hand, HDR if we can call it HDR, it's useless... like I've said,  I expected more from a brand like DJI.
2022-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules