Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Air2 Fly more Combo with Smart Controller Fly App
933 15 2020-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gregmaan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11965 ft

Germany

Hi,

I am new to DJI and my first product is on its way. Reading about the latest update to the Air2 they said we should use Fly app 1.20 or higher.
But at the download site of the Fly app there ist a notice that the App Version 1.20 is incompatible to the Smart Controller.

So did I bought a combo package which is not usable?

Maybe I should cancel my order?

Gregor

2020-12-3
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

MA2 with RC –> FlyApp 1.2.0 and higher. MA2 with SC –> FlyApp 1.1.6 (including in firmware), update to 1.1.10 possible but not oficial. Firmware update for SC is hopefully comming soon... everything is OK, as usual on DJI...
2020-12-4
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... I would definitely not buy the SC at the moment!

Even with the Fly App 1.1.6 the compass does not work !!!
DJI has not done anything for weeks, no bug fixes!

The use of the SC is currently not recommended ...
If DJI should (ever) fix the problem, the SC can still be purchased ...

I have been annoyed about the bad function of the SC for many weeks!

The display is excellent, but what good is it if you don't know where the MA2 is currently and in which direction it is flying ...
2020-12-4
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

frankymusik Posted at 12-4 05:33

I agree that the orientation compass is not working properly at this time.  Hopefully it will be fixed when the Mini 2 is added to the Smart Controller.
2020-12-4
Use props
Gregmaan
lvl.2

Germany

Hmm, DJI recommends using Fly app 1.20 or higher but with Smart Controller only 1.1.6 builtin or 1.1.10 via apk installation is usable. DJI even did not allocate this version officially. Strange tactics
Maybe they sold not enough SC´s.
The problem with the compass is only a software issue within the fly app (-90 degree offset) which should be very easy to fix in next fly app release.
But as I told, my first DJI product ....Maybe even this can last longer ....
Thanks for your comments,
Gregor
2020-12-4
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Gregmaan Posted at 12-4 12:53
Hmm, DJI recommends using Fly app 1.20 or higher but with Smart Controller only 1.1.6 builtin or 1.1.10 via apk installation is usable. DJI even did not allocate this version officially. Strange tactics
Maybe they sold not enough SC´s.
The problem with the compass is only a software issue within the fly app (-90 degree offset) which should be very easy to fix in next fly app release.

... if it were a constant offset of 90°, then you could live with that!  But, unfortunately, that's not how it is!

1.1.10 gots quite other problems, for example with the reception field strength!!!

This update is by no means recommended!
2020-12-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Gregmaan. Thanks for your inquiry. As of the time being, v1.2.0 and above of the DJI Fly is not yet suggested to be used in conjunction with the DJI Smart Controller and requires you to use the v1.1.6 temporarily. This concern is already been acknowledge and our team is working to have this fixed as soon as we can in the next version.
2020-12-5
Use props
Gregmaan
lvl.2

Germany

frankymusik Posted at 12-4 23:50
... if it were a constant offset of 90°, then you could live with that!  But, unfortunately, that's not how it is!

1.1.10 gots quite other problems, for example with the reception field strength!!!

I found 2 videos on youtube regarding this problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a4v3zYt2ds

My SC is on it´s way so i can´t test. Maybe you got the same results. (Go4 against Fly app in map view).

2020-12-5
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 12-4 05:33

I've never found that feature all that helpful even when it does work.  One should be tracking where the drone is in relation to yourself at all times anyway.  If somehow I do lose track of it, I'll just click on the map and get far better information from there anyways.  

DJI should fix it, but I personally see it as a minor annoyance and don't see it as a reason not to use the SC.
I much prefer to use the SC over flying with my phone!
2020-12-5
Use props
Gregmaan
lvl.2

Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-5 00:46
Hi, Gregmaan. Thanks for your inquiry. As of the time being, v1.2.0 and above of the DJI Fly is not yet suggested to be used in conjunction with the DJI Smart Controller and requires you to use the v1.1.6 temporarily. This concern is already been acknowledge and our team is working to have this fixed as soon as we can in the next version.

Hi Gamora,
Is there any issue tracking system on DJI site, where customers can see product specific issues with their status. We can not get timelines but if we could get informations if issues where acknowledged would be very helpful. E.g. the compass issue with the Smart controller and the Fly app?
2020-12-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-5 10:19
I've never found that feature all that helpful even when it does work.  One should be tracking where the drone is in relation to yourself at all times anyway.  If somehow I do lose track of it, I'll just click on the map and get far better information from there anyways.  

DJI should fix it, but I personally see it as a minor annoyance and don't see it as a reason not to use the SC.

The orientation compass for me is an easy reminder while looking down at the screen to keep the controller aligned with the drone.  I often fly in dense WiFi areas when the alignment has a significant impact on the signal even a short distances.
2020-12-6
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-6 15:18
The orientation compass for me is an easy reminder while looking down at the screen to keep the controller aligned with the drone.  I often fly in dense WiFi areas when the alignment has a significant impact on the signal even a short distances.

I guess I just naturally do that and track it as I fly without using that.  With OcuSync 2, I haven't found a minor deviation makes much difference.  Like I said, it's a feature that DJI needs to resolve for sure, just for me, it really hasn't been an issue that really bothers me.
2020-12-7
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

KlooGee Posted at 12-5 10:19
I've never found that feature all that helpful even when it does work.  One should be tracking where the drone is in relation to yourself at all times anyway.  If somehow I do lose track of it, I'll just click on the map and get far better information from there anyways.  

I think that if the SC does not (any longer) know whether the MA2 is flying in front of me or possibly behind me, if I cannot see in which direction I should point the antennas, then that is one reason for the SC as "dangerous" to be classified ...

Of course, I also try to keep an eye on MA2, but occasionally it just happens that the orientation is lost ...

Yes, the map display can also be very useful, but only if I also know the direction of the MA2 in which it is heading. The map view doesn't change at all when I point the SC in a completely different direction!

Keep this in mind when giving advice to inexperienced people !!!
2020-12-10
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-6 15:18
The orientation compass for me is an easy reminder while looking down at the screen to keep the controller aligned with the drone.  I often fly in dense WiFi areas when the alignment has a significant impact on the signal even a short distances.

... that's how I see it!
2020-12-10
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

It seems many users do not see the value of the orientation compass.  But I have found it an essential tool for getting better range and signal quality.  I personally think that many of complaints about poor signal range are based on poor alignment of the controller to the drone.  
2020-12-11
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Exactly, that's what I was trying to express ...
2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules