Just wanted to post again about my issue
757 31 2020-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danameskilo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 512395 ft
United States

Is anyone else having this issue with their drone? I have heard others on facebook saying they have but wanted to see about here... Pretty disappointed to be honest. Was super pumped to finally upgrade my Mini 1 This totally ruins the experience for me. I just sent the video to Dji, I will update with what they say.
2020-12-4
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not flown mine yet, but have you tried calibrating the IMU?
2020-12-4
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

dronespilot Posted at 12-4 23:08
I did not have flown mine yet, but have you tried calibrating the IMU?

Yep, unfortunately I have many times.
2020-12-4
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

danameskilo Posted at 12-4 23:14
Yep, unfortunately I have many times.

Why are you taking off in Sports mode?

Also calibrate the compass away from your house. Preferable in an open field.

2020-12-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

First observation: You're doing the compass calibration in a confined area surrounded by metal objects (Fence, washing line pole and goodness knows what else.) Go find an open, unobstructed space with minimal risk of interference, to do the calibration dance.
2020-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Definitely true to calibrate somewhere else,  like the local park or field.
2020-12-5
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

You can try calibrating somewhere better but I think you have a bunk mini, waiting on here for answers or DJI's help will just eat up the return window. If you purchased from a major retailer I would just bring it back and exchange it for another one, will be much faster then waiting on DJI's support.
2020-12-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have to calibrate the compass at all ensure to do it in the right area - away from electromagnetic interference
2020-12-5
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 12-5 02:47
You can try calibrating somewhere better but I think you have a bunk mini, waiting on here for answers or DJI's help will just eat up the return window. If you purchased from a major retailer I would just bring it back and exchange it for another one, will be much faster then waiting on DJI's support.

That's what did yesterday. Because of gimbal tilting issues, I took my Mini 2 back to Best Buy and got a full refund. With Covid, stores are thankfully being more liberal with returns, and extending the time to bring them back.

On a related note, It wasn't until last night that I realized I left the cell phone I used with the Mini 2 in a pocket of the drone's bag. I was there first thing this morning and luckily retrieved it. Whew.
2020-12-5
Use props
djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Dude, are you sure you are not getting a little obsessed about this "issue"? I have seen your videos and really can't see anything that appears wrong with the drone's flight at all. It seems to fly just fine. Are you sure you are not imagining there is a problem when there actually isn't?
2020-12-5
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 12-5 11:59
Dude, are you sure you are not getting a little obsessed about this "issue"? I have seen your videos and really can't see anything that appears wrong with the drone's flight at all. It seems to fly just fine. Are you sure you are not imagining there is a problem when there actually isn't?

There 100 percent is an issue. I am flying directly forward, there is no reason the drone should be turning to the right. I flew many hours on my mini 1.
2020-12-5
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 12-5 11:53
That's what did yesterday. Because of gimbal tilting issues, I took my Mini 2 back to Best Buy and got a full refund. With Covid, stores are thankfully being more liberal with returns, and extending the time to bring them back.

On a related note, It wasn't until last night that I realized I left the cell phone I used with the Mini 2 in a pocket of the drone's bag. I was there first thing this morning and luckily retrieved it. Whew.

Did they charge restocking fee?
2020-12-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

danameskilo Posted at 12-5 12:12
There 100 percent is an issue. I am flying directly forward, there is no reason the drone should be turning to the right. I flew many hours on my mini 1.

Calibrate the compass (in the right area), check the props, calibrate the remote controller and the IMU and be sure there are no wind gusts in the area. After that troubleshooting you should be OK. If not, refresh the firmware and replace the props. Just work through everything you can to ensure that nothing in your control is causing it. If it still persists then you have a faulty drone and need to return it under warranty. I have the Mini 2 and it does not do this - ever.
2020-12-6
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

danameskilo Posted at 12-5 12:13
Did they charge restocking fee?

Luckily they did not. Which is awesome.
2020-12-6
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 12-4 23:18
Why are you taking off in Sports mode?

Also calibrate the compass away from your house. Preferable in an open field.

I take off a lot in S mode and never had a problem with it.
2020-12-6
Use props
martinbanshee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 290174 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same issue with a new Mini 2, it wouldn't fly straight sometimes, would slowly yaw to the right in a hover and would regularly ask for and IMU or Compass calibration. I also had a weird issue once where it started veering left and forward in a very low wind day and its actual movements don't match the logs and the stick movements. I previously had a Mavic Air for 2 years and never had any issues like this.
I returned it and now have another Mini 2 which behaves better although I've not had time to test it thoroughly but I've seen quite a few threads with similar behaviour so there definately seems to be an issue with some Mini 2s and not just pilot error.
2020-12-8
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

martinbanshee Posted at 12-8 10:22
I had the same issue with a new Mini 2, it wouldn't fly straight sometimes, would slowly yaw to the right in a hover and would regularly ask for and IMU or Compass calibration. I also had a weird issue once where it started veering left and forward in a very low wind day and its actual movements don't match the logs and the stick movements. I previously had a Mavic Air for 2 years and never had any issues like this.
I returned it and now have another Mini 2 which behaves better although I've not had time to test it thoroughly but I've seen quite a few threads with similar behaviour so there definately seems to be an issue with some Mini 2s and not just pilot error.

I exchanged it this morning. I got dji care on the faulty drone, will dji transfer that to my new one?
2020-12-8
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

martinbanshee Posted at 12-8 10:22

Also, thanks for backing me up. People were starting to make me feel crazy lol. Glad I'm not alone.
2020-12-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I seem to see at 2:04, that you are on top of a wrought iron outdoor table. If you take off from that table, you will have introduced a compass error. Never take off from a metal surface, or concrete. Take off from grass if you can.

If you take off from a metal surface, the compass error will cause the aircraft to fly with directional errors. so you might fly it forward, but it probably will fly in a circle.
2020-12-8
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-8 14:02
I seem to see at 2:04, that you are on top of a wrought iron outdoor table. If you take off from that table, you will have introduced a compass error. Never take off from a metal surface, or concrete. Take off from grass if you can.

If you take off from a metal surface, the compass error will cause the aircraft to fly with directional errors. so you might fly it forward, but it probably will fly in a circle.

I never took off from a table
2020-12-8
Use props
SipSip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 378510 ft
Canada

People should understand this is a real problem. We aren't mistaken. Most of us own a perfectly working mini 1 or other DJI drones that doesn't do any of these behaviors.

Also most of us don't like the strict regulations on drones in many countries now. I for one wouldn't mind if they put in some about reliability and airworthiness with the onus on the manufactures. The uncommanded movement some of us have seen,  can be a big safety issue if the drone goes out of range and never stops. Who'd be liable if that drone crashes into a manned aircraft? I bet you they would go after the owner first.
2020-12-8
Use props
Sharkoon
lvl.1

Germany

calibrate everything you can once again
check with spirit level app

2020-12-8
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

Update: Exchanged it at Best Buy this morning and this unit in my 5 minute test flight seems to fly just fine. Seems to be a hardware issue of some sort!
2020-12-8
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

danameskilo Posted at 12-8 17:53
Update: Exchanged it at Best Buy this morning and this unit in my 5 minute test flight seems to fly just fine. Seems to be a hardware issue of some sort!

The first Mini 2 I got from Best Buy also had minor issues.  Small scrape mark on the battery cover and one of the motors didn't spin as freely as the others.  I did a simple resistance test with my index finger. If that was the issue and one of the motors had to work harder, that would explain why it wasn't tracking straight.  Too late to test it now though.
2020-12-8
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

trader6777 Posted at 12-8 18:16
The first Mini 2 I got from Best Buy also had minor issues.  Small scrape mark on the battery cover and one of the motors didn't spin as freely as the others.  I did a simple resistance test with my index finger. If that was the issue and one of the motors had to work harder, that would explain why it wasn't tracking straight.  Too late to test it now though.

Totally makes sense. The propellers did seem to not be spinning quite as well on my first unit. Who knows
2020-12-8
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Glad you got it sorted. It's weird I still haven't had to calibrate my Mavic Air 2 since I bought it weeks ago. Flown all over the place here and never needs to. I had to do it a lot with my mini.
2020-12-8
Use props
martinbanshee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

danameskilo Posted at 12-8 12:10
I exchanged it this morning. I got dji care on the faulty drone, will dji transfer that to my new one?

I don't use DJI Care so I'm not not sure, but I'd presume so.
2020-12-11
Use props
martinbanshee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

danameskilo Posted at 12-8 17:53

Cool, hopefully all good from now on.
2020-12-11
Use props
djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1476125 ft
United States

Calibrate the controller.i had same issue.went away.not a big deal.u can manage with it. Don't write it off so fast bro.allso make sure props are ok.this can also happen if one is spinning faster then it should me.useally the esc will alert but not always.fly safe my friend
2020-12-12
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ Posted at 12-12 21:19
Calibrate the controller.i had same issue.went away.not a big deal.u can manage with it. Don't write it off so fast bro.allso make sure props are ok.this can also happen if one is spinning faster then it should me.useally the esc will alert but not always.fly safe my friend

If yours was doing that and still does it a little bit, I would definitely consider getting it exchanged. I have no issues now that I have a new unit
2020-12-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine has also started to do this ever so slightly. It is very small though and I can steer it out with the left stick. I am not taking mine back though as I think we are sometimes too sensitive to these very slight issues
2020-12-13
Use props
djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1476125 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-13 03:10
Mine has also started to do this ever so slightly. It is very small though and I can steer it out with the left stick. I am not taking mine back though as I think we are sometimes too sensitive to these very slight issues

We will make it.just fine.she takes off and she lands.the rest, I got.
2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules