Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Best Tablet/Phone in my view
2903 31 2020-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have many DJI drones and have used various tablets and phones with them. At the risk of starting a brand war I personally feel that the Apple devices work best with DJI stuff.

I also dont like using my main phone with the drone for several reasons and I like to keep this........well as my phone. I have never been a believer in one thing can do all. But that is a different discussion entirely.

With this in mind I have settled on a cheap but very effective device to use. It is the Iphone 6S Plus 128 gb. They are available on ebay second hand at a very good price. They are an excellent size. They fit the controllers very well and the supplied lead is long enough. If you buy the 128 gb version you have enough space to download and work on your videos and using the wifi when you get home you can upload to social media/You tube.

Also having a bespoke device allows you to keep all the large files off your main phone and if you want to upload a specific file in the field you can either tether the 6S Plus to your main phones wifi and upload or airdrop it then upload.

I also like to use a separate device for each of my drones as sometimes I dont update the app on certain drones for certain reasons.

Anyway this is what I feel from many years of experience. Others will I am sure feel differently.
2020-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas, Bigplumbs. Hope this helps other users that are looking out for suggestions.

Great job!
2020-12-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good choice!
2020-12-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I personally feel that the Apple devices work best with DJI stuff.
The fact that many users of Android equipment find that their tablets give a perfect flying experience, with without ever a glitch shows that this statement isn't correct.

DJI drones fly just as well on either operating system.
If you use an old, under-performing device, your experience may be disappointing regardless of the operating system it uses.
2020-12-5
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

IPS, 5.5", are you serious, for the second year DJI can't make the top icons in DJI Fly not stop being invisible against the sky, and at this size of the screen you can only see with a magnifying glass!
2020-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-5 15:36
The fact that many users of Android equipment find that their tablets give a perfect flying experience, with without ever a glitch shows that this statement isn't correct.

Did you read it correctly...... I Personally was what I wrote
2020-12-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 12-5 19:50
IPS, 5.5", are you serious, for the second year DJI can't make the top icons in DJI Fly not stop being invisible against the sky, and at this size of the screen you can only see with a magnifying glass!

Well given that I want it all to fit in the Bag it is the best option I have found.

As for IPS 5.5' more techno nonsense that most people dont care about.

I can see all on the screen dont have a need for any magnifying glass and it all just works very well.

Have you actually tried what I suggest or are you one of those people who has to rush out and buy the latest phone because it does loads of new stuff that you will never use.

So yes I am serious absolutly and I can see the top icons just fine now
2020-12-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-5 23:59
Did you read it correctly...... I Personally was what I wrote

What you wrote (and what I correctly read) was:
You may feel that personally, and many might repeat similar sentiments, but it's still not true.
It's ignoring the inconvenient evidence of the many flyers who have used Android devices for years without a glitch.
DJI apps run equally well on either operating system and there's plenty of evidence to support that, regardless of what you personally believe.
2020-12-6
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-6 00:02
Well given that I want it all to fit in the Bag it is the best option I have found.

As for IPS 5.5' more techno nonsense that most people dont care about.

Now you see, apparently on Go4 you didn't see It, but on Fly you see it... How much does eye surgery cost?

2020-12-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-6 00:09
What you wrote (and what I correctly read) was:
You may feel that personally, and many might repeat similar sentiments, but it's still not true.

Pointless tangential  argument. Not interested
2020-12-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 12-6 00:16
Now you see, apparently on Go4 you didn't see It, but on Fly you see it... How much does eye surgery cost?

[view_image]https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/202011/28/194334dc7xcwc4bthqciwe.jpg[/img]

Dude

You are way out of date there. That is the old version of the Fly app. The new version has a clearly visible icon here

Have a watch of this and you will know

2020-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tend to agree,  I had used a Samsung Galaxy with the M2P but it was horrible,  gave it away and stuck with using the iPhone.  Much better experience and I get wireless sync of all my photos to all my devices automatically.  
2020-12-6
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi bigplumb, I use huawei T5, Huawei M3, Sony Z5, obviously all android with my Mavic Pro 1,with the go 4 app with absolutely no problems whatsoever which ever device I choose, also the M3 and the Sony run litchi flawlessly. Can't speak about thee fly app.
2020-12-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're right, others feel differently.  I use a Samsung Tab S6 because I like seeing the large tablet screen vice a teeny phone screen.  So it's not because Samsung is better than Apple or vice versa, just my personal preference.  Have a nice day.
2020-12-6
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPhone 8 that I use as a phone, no Twitter, Facebook or YouTube accounts.
This is what I use for the drone and it works well for me.
I did purchase the tablet holder to fit the remote, DJI’s, and I’ll use my iPad at times with the holder (obviously a bigger easier to use screen but can be cumbersome at times).
Never had an Android device but I would think those using that devise would be just as comfortable using that as I am with mine.
2020-12-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for all your views. As I stated in the first post It was never meant to be an Android v Apple debate, but some how I knew some would not be able to help themselves,

All I know is that my Iphone 6S PLUS works flawlessly, cost me £140, It fits in the flymore bag nicely and is bespoke to my Mini 2. I use a bespoke Ipad Mini on my MA2 and also an older Ipan Mini on my MA and Spark. My Original Mini uses the 6S Plus.... My actual phone is freed up as a spare and not 'Polluted' with all the drone files.

Each to their own
2020-12-6
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-6 01:39
Dude

You are way out of date there. That is the old version of the Fly app. The new version has a clearly visible icon here

What is well read there, the number of satellites?

Fly.jpg

Can you tell me how many satellites are listed there?
2020-12-6
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

What are you discussing, in fact, Apple devices provide significantly greater features, both in Go4 and in Fly, starting with version Go4.1.22!
2020-12-6
Use props
djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1476125 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-5 12:23
Good choice!

I use an android lenovo m8 tablet. It's 64-bit and only cost 70bucks. Amazing battery life and a tablet is way better for flying these things. And it's a dedicated device as your doing also.i agree iphones work better as it says on the box it's designed to be used with ios devices.most android devices literally can't even download the dji app.thanks for sharing.take a look at the lenovo m8.
2020-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Also using a 6s+, while I'm waiting for DJI to release the firmware for smart controller compatibility. Personally not a fan of Android but the smart controller's screen brightness and phone-free setup is very hard to beat! Nothing wrong with the 5.5" IPS, but you'll need a sun hood when flying outdoors
2020-12-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought a sun hood but find I seldom use it...... More faff........ For me all has to be quick and simple and as faff free as possible
2020-12-6
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ Posted at 12-6 12:21
I use an android lenovo m8 tablet. It's 64-bit and only cost 70bucks. Amazing battery life and a tablet is way better for flying these things. And it's a dedicated device as your doing also.i agree iphones work better as it says on the box it's designed to be used with ios devices.most android devices literally can't even download the dji app.thanks for sharing.take a look at the lenovo m8.

I like Bigplumb’s idea,  and yours, of using a dedicated device.
I can get the Lenovo for $65. No issues with the operating system, android 9.0 (pie), and it does work well?
What about using the map, any issues when not connected to wifi?
2020-12-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nothing wrong with this statement...if you can back it up: "I personally feel that the Apple devices work best with DJI stuff"

Please provide some details, experiences or evidence. I have never used an iOS device.

2020-12-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ Posted at 12-6 12:21

You mean most Android tablets (not devices) cannot download from the Google Play store and that is true. But you can install the app anyway even if it is not approved ( I do that with 2 Android tablets ). Just use the middle button on the download page. And by the way, with iOS you are stuck with only one manufacturer as opposed to many Android ones. Just look at the length of the approved Android devices.
2020-12-6
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I've been flying my new Air 2S with a Samsung Ultra S20.  It works great and I can almost use it in direct sunlight with no hood.  I can see, but dark enough to be a pain.   Thin Overcast good display.  The new Samsung S21 Ultra is 1500 nits peak brightness (500 more than the S20, also brighter than the iPhone 12)), which really means it about 1000 nits for drone display use.  That's the estimate from CNet review (I think it was CNET).  
Does anyone have experience with the Samsung S21 Ultra and how it does with the sun over your head or shoulder?

Same question for the Smart Controller?
2021-5-13
Use props
dronebiker25
lvl.1
United States

I tried to use my spare iPhone 7s 128gb as the drone display but consistently get a "phone CPU fully loaded and will affect performance" error message. Today the phone display was super laggy and could not keep up with the camera which was a little nerve-racking. Going to try my main iPhone 11Pro Max on the next flight. All devices updated with latest firmware.
2021-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dronebiker25 Posted at 5-16 16:29
I tried to use my spare iPhone 7s 128gb as the drone display but consistently get a "phone CPU fully loaded and will affect performance" error message. Today the phone display was super laggy and could not keep up with the camera which was a little nerve-racking. Going to try my main iPhone 11Pro Max on the next flight. All devices updated with latest firmware.

Your phone is clogged and running to many other apps to allow it to perform properly with the DJI app.
2021-5-16
Use props
billzilla
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70577 ft

United States

And here I thought almighty iOS was impervious to 'clogging' and 'faff'. What a shock!

I've used my iPad Pro 12.9, Galaxy Tab S3, S6 and my Note 8 and Note 9 phones. There's no such a thing as a 'bespoke device' (tired buzz-term not applicable here) tailored specifically for drone monitor purposes except actual dedicated controllers/screens. No one brand or model that is free of any issues or idiosyncratic trouble issues. I personally prefer Android for the most part, but the latest iPads do have very powerful processing power and, at very long last, high contrast/color LED displays.
Pretty sure a 7 or 8" tablet would fit in the Fly More Mini 2 bag. And all modern tablets and devices can sync to a centralized cloud photo storage, this certainly isn't an Apple-centric function.

2021-5-17
Use props
DroneyK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-16 22:59
Your phone is clogged and running to many other apps to allow it to perform properly with the DJI app.

That’s interesting. Until now I used a fairly modern iPad on the controller. Then on my most recent flight I used my old but trusty iPhone 6. I received the “overloaded” message and thought it was due to the age and slower CPU on my phone. Now I’m encouraged to reboot the phone and only open DJI Fly and try again. Thank you.

By the way, I like the idea from Bigplums of a dedicated phone for drone flying. If my iPhone 6 is indeed happy to operate when only DJI Fly is active then I shall keep the phone for that should I ever upgrade to a newer phone.
2021-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DroneyK Posted at 5-18 00:34
That’s interesting. Until now I used a fairly modern iPad on the controller. Then on my most recent flight I used my old but trusty iPhone 6. I received the “overloaded” message and thought it was due to the age and slower CPU on my phone. Now I’m encouraged to reboot the phone and only open DJI Fly and try again. Thank you.

By the way, I like the idea from Bigplums of a dedicated phone for drone flying. If my iPhone 6 is indeed happy to operate when only DJI Fly is active then I shall keep the phone for that should I ever upgrade to a newer phone.

I like the idea from Bigplums of a dedicated phone for drone flying.
It's one of those things that sounds like it a sensible idea.
But if you have a half-decent device and run it properly, it really makes no difference.
2021-5-18
Use props
dronebiker25
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-16 22:59

Literally the only app running is the DJI fly app with all other apps (other than native Apple apps) deleted. Over 100GB of storage available as well. The screen was super laggy, gimbal was sluggish etc. Going to try my main iPhone on next flight.
2021-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules