Mimo bug? Pocket 2: getting an SD card space error when timelapsing
1455 9 2020-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi All, first post, though I've been reading here for over a year (good community here).
tl;dr: Using the Pocket 2, the Mimo app gives me an error stating too little room on my empty 128GB SD card when I want to shoot a fixed timelapse in raw+video.

So, I'm a timelapse photographer, and I bought the Pocket 2 specifically because it shoots raw photos in timelapse (I also have the original Osmo Pocket, which I only use for vlogging, as its jpeg timelapses aren't up to scratch).

But I'm getting a strange problem/error when I try to shoot timelapses with these specific parameters (what I'd consider a "typical" timelapse):
  • using the Mimo app
  • Pocket 2 set to shoot video+raw in timelapse mode
  • fixed angle (not a motionlapse)
  • any fixed interval and duration (e.g. 4sec interval, duration of 10 mins)

I get this error when I hit the Record button:

"Insufficient space in SD Card. It is recommended that you keep the timelapse duration less than 3min22s to prevent the timelapse video shooting from stopping".

(note: 3min22s is listed beside the SD card icon in the upper left of the Mimo app)

But there is tons of space: I'm using a legitimate 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card, freshly formatted in the Pocket 2. It'll fit thousands of DNG files, and a great deal of 1080p video.

To be specific, this error only happens when:
  • I'm using the Mimo app (via Do-It-All Handle wifi or when my phone is directly connected to a smartphone adaptor)
  • Timelapse Mode is set to "Fixed Angle"
  • any fixed duration (5mins to 5 hours)
  • any interval (4-secs to 60 secs)

The error does not happen when:
  • I use the Pocket 2 screen menu directly (not using the Mimo app)
  • Timelapse mode is set to any motionlapse: L to R, R to L, or Custom Motion (using Mimo)
  • I set the duration to "infinity" (using Mimo)
  • I set the camera to shoot jpeg+video (using Mimo)

I should note that shutter speed and ISO don't affect whether or not the error occurs. Video framerate choices (24fps, 25fps, 30fps) also do not affect the error.

I've done my due dilligence with google searches and also searches here to see if anyone else has had this problem, but I haven't found any relevant results (almost all of the Pocket 2 example timelapse youtube vids I've found have all used video timelapses only, the only vid I found using raw+video is this one by @Edh https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=228570&extra=page%3D1 but it's a motionlapse, so it wouldn't reproduce my error).

Can anyone clear this mystery up for me, and perhaps offer a Mimo workaround? It's a deal-breaker :-(

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Chas

ps. Some possibly useful info:
I'm using an iPhone 7Plus
iOS 13.6.1
Pocket 2 firmware: V01.01.00.30
Mimo app version: 1.5.4
2020-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, chasg. We're sorry to read about the difficulties you're encountering. We'll have this check. If possible, we appreciate it if could you upload a sample of the mentioned phenomenon. Thank you!
2020-12-6
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Gamora, below is a screenshot of the error (sorry it's sideways).
Interestingly, last night I was shooting some motion timelapses (simple motion: just two custom points), and I got this error each time, where before I only got the error for fixed angle timelapses.

Mimo timelapse SD space error.jpeg
2020-12-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

chasg Posted at 12-7 06:01
Interestingly, last night I was shooting some motion timelapses (simple motion: just two custom points), and I got this error each time, where before I only got the error for fixed angle timelapses.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please help to export the files in the MISC/LOG/ folder and let me know the specific time and date when the issue happened. For the file, you may upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive and then share the link with me. I'll help to download it and forward the situation to our engineers for a check. Looking forward to hearing from you.
2020-12-7
Use props
fanseb2f7a6b
lvl.2
United States

chasg Posted at 12-7 06:01
Interestingly, last night I was shooting some motion timelapses (simple motion: just two custom points), and I got this error each time, where before I only got the error for fixed angle timelapses.

I have the exact same problem and it is quite annoying. I primarily use my Pocket 2 for motion lapses, and I always shoot in video+photo mode because it's still not possible to record a 4K lapse (which is another annoyance that will HOPEFULLY be taken care of in a future firmware update...), and it always tells me I have insufficient space, even though that isn't true. I've noticed that if I switch to video only for the lapse, the available space jumps up considerably and the error message won't appear. Based on my observations, what seems to be happening is the software is calculating how long of a lapse I can record, based on the FINAL output, and then applying that limit to the DURATION of the recording, which results in the error. (i.e. it's saying I can only record for 2 minutes because that's how much space is on the SD card, when it actuality it should say I can record for 3 HOURS, based on a 3-second interval and a 30fps timelapse video.) It's a simple calculation error that should be able to be fixed; I emailed DJI weeks ago when I discovered it and haven't heard back. Hopefully they fix it soon.
2020-12-8
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fanseb2f7a6b Posted at 12-8 09:33
I have the exact same problem and it is quite annoying. I primarily use my Pocket 2 for motion lapses, and I always shoot in video+photo mode because it's still not possible to record a 4K lapse (which is another annoyance that will HOPEFULLY be taken care of in a future firmware update...), and it always tells me I have insufficient space, even though that isn't true. I've noticed that if I switch to video only for the lapse, the available space jumps up considerably and the error message won't appear. Based on my observations, what seems to be happening is the software is calculating how long of a lapse I can record, based on the FINAL output, and then applying that limit to the DURATION of the recording, which results in the error. (i.e. it's saying I can only record for 2 minutes because that's how much space is on the SD card, when it actuality it should say I can record for 3 HOURS, based on a 3-second interval and a 30fps timelapse video.) It's a simple calculation error that should be able to be fixed; I emailed DJI weeks ago when I discovered it and haven't heard back. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Ah, it's good to know that it's not a problem isolated to me :-)

I've shot 10 or so timelapse sequences where this error popped up, they all seem to have worked (I haven't noticed any missed frames or such), so it's an error we can ignore, though I'd much rather have the problem fixed (seeing that it's very likely what you said: a calculation error, should be an easy fix).
2020-12-8
Use props
mepierce01
lvl.2
United States

chasg Posted at 12-8 10:03
Ah, it's good to know that it's not a problem isolated to me :-)

I've shot 10 or so timelapse sequences where this error popped up, they all seem to have worked (I haven't noticed any missed frames or such), so it's an error we can ignore, though I'd much rather have the problem fixed (seeing that it's very likely what you said: a calculation error, should be an easy fix).

Haha I thought the same thing when I saw your post! And I agree, it is certainly an error message that *can* be ignored - I've also shot around 10 lapses with the error and it always records as expected. My only concern would be if they never fix it and I become so numb to seeing the error that I don't even think about it, if I've got a nearly-full SD card I might *actually* have insufficient space and not realize it. But I'm not too worried about that happening, and I'm not too worried that DJI won't ever fix this.
2020-12-9
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

mepierce01 Posted at 12-9 16:34
Haha I thought the same thing when I saw your post! And I agree, it is certainly an error message that *can* be ignored - I've also shot around 10 lapses with the error and it always records as expected. My only concern would be if they never fix it and I become so numb to seeing the error that I don't even think about it, if I've got a nearly-full SD card I might *actually* have insufficient space and not realize it. But I'm not too worried about that happening, and I'm not too worried that DJI won't ever fix this.

Well, here's hoping that DJI writes a fix (but in the meantime, I'll be diligent in checking how full my card is!).
2020-12-10
Use props
philippevdp
lvl.1

Belgium

ah ok I'm not the only one. I just posted a message that's the same issue as described here "insufficient space in SD Card".
I'm trying to run it now with the continue button (and ignoring the warning/error message)
2020-12-29
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Looks like the latest firmware has fixed this bug (I’m not getting the error anymore).
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules