1068 24 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am pleased with my recent acquisition of a P2. However I have one observation to share with you.
I bought the creator combo, which includes a wide-angle lens attachment. This clips onto the device magnetically.
I've already commented that this means of fixture seems rather insecure - care needed not to knock it off.
There is a storage area inside the plastic carrying sleeve of the pocket - but this is magnetic too.
It is insufficently secure to keep the lens in place. Twice already, I have discovered the lens to have become
detached from its storage mount. The first time, it dropped out onto the carpet when I removed the camera from its sleeve
at home.  The second time was more alarming, as I was out in the field. I took the camera out of the plastic sleeve
and was dismayed to find that the lens was missing from its designed spot!  
Fortunately, It had merely dropped into the deep pocket of my coat - sigh of relief!
I can only conclude that this is a design error which DJI would do well to address.  I shall not be storing the lens there again.
2020-12-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I carry a small (not tiny) "ziplock" plastic bag in my pocket.  The little lens can go in that when not in use (though it offers no physical protection, so keeping keys in the same pocket would not be good).  And when the bag is empty, it takes up no space.  But really, it's such a tiny thing, it's necessary to very regularly check on it, even when on the camera.  It's a shame they didn't make it fluorescent orange in colour to help in finding it!
2020-12-6
Use props
JKJenn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42280 ft
  • >>>
United States

I concur. So easy to lose! I lost it once and barely found it.
2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Blériot53. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will cascade and forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Again I am sorry and thank you for your understanding.
2020-12-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-6 19:54
Hello there Blériot53. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will cascade and forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Again I am sorry and thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for your response DJI Stephen. It is unfortunate that this storage solution doesn't meet the usual quality standards we have come to appreciate in our DJI equipment. I'm just relieved that the lens wasn't actually lost.  I shall carry it in a separate container in future.
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the warning.
Do you use it a lot?
It seems like the P2 already has quite a wide angle by design.
2020-12-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 23:49
Thanks for the warning.
Do you use it a lot?
It seems like the P2 already has quite a wide angle by design.

I haven't yet made a comparison between shots with and without the lens. But I feel that it's an accessory that I won't be using a lot.
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 12-6 23:54
I haven't yet made a comparison between shots with and without the lens. But I feel that it's an accessory that I won't be using a lot.

From what I have seen, the difference is not that big.
It is nice to have when you can't step back, but other than that, I am not a huge fan of putting something in front of a lens.
It is always at the cost of either sharpness, or risking some flare etc.
But, with a video, the wider field of view does give interesting effects when walking / moving, so maybe it would be a nice addition.
I'm not sure if I want to go for the creator combo, as I don't need the wireless mic and that is a rather expensive part of that combo.
The do it all handle seems nice, but I don't know if that is one I will 'need'.
2020-12-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-7 00:03
From what I have seen, the difference is not that big.
It is nice to have when you can't step back, but other than that, I am not a huge fan of putting something in front of a lens.
It is always at the cost of either sharpness, or risking some flare etc.

The do-it-all handle extends the overall length of the device, of course, which improves grip. Without it the device really is tiny. The tripod mount on the bottom might be useful for timelapse compositions. The USB port enables charging, but I've found that it's troublesome when trying to download data. I have to remove the handle to download from the Pocket direct, which shouldn't be the case.
2020-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 12-7 00:09
The do-it-all handle extends the overall length of the device, of course, which improves grip. Without it the device really is tiny. The tripod mount on the bottom might be useful for timelapse compositions. The USB port enables charging, but I've found that it's troublesome when trying to download data. I have to remove the handle to download from the Pocket direct, which shouldn't be the case.

I have heard about it that it handles better with the 'do it all handle' so that is something to consider.
But it comes at the cost of some framerate as I remember correctly.
And I have a feeling I'm going to use it for timelapses mostly. So a tripod connection should be enough.
(and that is supplied with the regular package)
But I have still time.
First use the M2
2020-12-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-7 00:11
I have heard about it that it handles better with the 'do it all handle' so that is something to consider.
But it comes at the cost of some framerate as I remember correctly.
And I have a feeling I'm going to use it for timelapses mostly. So a tripod connection should be enough.

I'll be following your progress with interest - as always
2020-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 12-7 00:14
I'll be following your progress with interest - as always

Likewise.
Always nice to have someone you can trust (with no commercial interest) to share experiences before buying!
2020-12-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good thread mate
2020-12-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 12-7 02:56
Good thread mate

Thanks AJ. Informative and not too critical, I thought.
2020-12-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot, sounds like this design error was missed by DJI.  Not sure what they can do to correct it for those who have already purchased the P2 but at least you brought it to their attention.
2020-12-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-7 05:57
Blériot, sounds like this design error was missed by DJI.  Not sure what they can do to correct it for those who have already purchased the P2 but at least you brought it to their attention.

Yes. To store the lens where intended is probably fine when the gadget is not in use, but as soon as you're out in the field, popping the camera in and out of its pocket, it's immediately clear just how inadequate a magnetic mounting is.
2020-12-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-7 03:53
Thanks AJ. Informative and not too critical, I thought.

Very much so my friend
2020-12-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 12-7 06:45
Yes. To store the lens where intended is probably fine when the gadget is not in use, but as soon as you're out in the field, popping the camera in and out of its pocket, it's immediately clear just how inadequate a magnetic mounting is.

Appears DJI failed to "field test" this.  It may have looked good on the drawing board but doesn't appear to be too functional when in real use.
2020-12-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-8 08:02
Appears DJI failed to "field test" this.  It may have looked good on the drawing board but doesn't appear to be too functional when in real use.

I admit it's a neat place to store the lens - but the manner of its fixation is far from ideal. Some sort of slot to retain it would be far safer.
2020-12-8
Use props
tsmic
lvl.2
Finland

I have tried to verify how securely the lens stays in the plastic sleeve. It detaches with a small knock when the camera isn't there, but seems to stay sufficiently in my use. However, I noticed that some Pocket 2 reviewer had put the camera to sleeve the same way the OSMO Pocket has been stored, instead the opposite way shown in the Pocket 2 manual, thus making it prone to detach the lens from the sleeve when taken out. Of course everybody here has read the manual before the use and knows how to use the storage sleeve. Right?
2020-12-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-6 15:58
I carry a small (not tiny) "ziplock" plastic bag in my pocket.  The little lens can go in that when not in use (though it offers no physical protection, so keeping keys in the same pocket would not be good).  And when the bag is empty, it takes up no space.  But really, it's such a tiny thing, it's necessary to very regularly check on it, even when on the camera.  It's a shame they didn't make it fluorescent orange in colour to help in finding it!

I guess it's one of the trade-offs resulting from miniaturisation. The individual accessories are so tiny it renders them fiddly to use - and easy to drop or misplace.
2020-12-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JKJenn Posted at 12-6 17:47
I concur. So easy to lose! I lost it once and barely found it.

I was lucky (twice!)  The first time was in the house, and it dropped onto the carpet. But the second time was out in the field. I removed the camera from its pocket and was dismayed to find the lens was no longer magnetised to its storage point. Fortunately, it had only dropped to the bottom  of the deep pocket of my coat.
2020-12-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tsmic Posted at 12-9 08:43
I have tried to verify how securely the lens stays in the plastic sleeve. It detaches with a small knock when the camera isn't there, but seems to stay sufficiently in my use. However, I noticed that some Pocket 2 reviewer had put the camera to sleeve the same way the OSMO Pocket has been stored, instead the opposite way shown in the Pocket 2 manual, thus making it prone to detach the lens from the sleeve when taken out. Of course everybody here has read the manual before the use and knows how to use the storage sleeve. Right?

The pocket 2 can be inserted into its sleeve either way round, I've found. If the wide angle lens, ( or an ND filter, presumably) is still attached to the camera when switched off, it detects this and "parks" with the lens facing outward, so it doesn't get knocked off by the parking manoeuvre. I really wouldn't want to carry it about like that, with the attachment facing outward - it's just ASKING to get knocked off and lost.
Only solution is to remove the lens attachment and store it inside the pocket on its designated magnetic pad. Even there, though, my experience is that it isn't sufficiently secure.
2020-12-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Blériot53 Posted at 12-6 23:26
Thank you for your response DJI Stephen. It is unfortunate that this storage solution doesn't meet the usual quality standards we have come to appreciate in our DJI equipment. I'm just relieved that the lens wasn't actually lost.  I shall carry it in a separate container in future.

Hi there Blériot53. You are very much welcome and thank you for the additional information you have given. If you have any other inquiries inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.
2020-12-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Should have taken my own advice here. Today I lost the Iphone connector accessory from it's slot in the pocket sleeve.  Thankfully, I don't use that one - I have the Android/USB connector.  These storage areas in the Pocket2 Sleeve are not fit for purpose. I'm not careless with my equipment - rather over-cautious if anything - yet still one accessory is lost after only a couple of weeks of use.  You've been warned!
2020-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules