Mini 2 LURCHES forward on takeoff. Is there a fix?
4354 11 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vindibona1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206991 ft
United States

In addition to my Mavic 2 Pro I now have a Mini 2, previously having a Mini 1 which I sold to upgrade to the 2.  It ain't my first rodeo, as they say.  I have the Mini 2 to be able to work and maneuver in tight spaces (indoors) where the Mavic 2 would be a hazard.  But the Mini 2 surprises me on takeoff and I'm not sure what to do.

Upon takeoff it appears that the rear motors lift up the rear end of the Mini 2 first and by the time that the front motors catch up in speed and it levels off, once off the ground the Mini 2 lurches forward a foot or two and I have to catch it with the right stick lest it crash into something close by before it settles.

It should be noted that I usually use PGYTech leg extenders so that the props clear any grass or low obstacles and I then can mount a strobe on the bottom when needed.  I tried to take off with and without the extenders. In C mode as well as N mode, which made no difference at all in speed or control.   And the right stick needs to be very, VERY gentle in the pullback to keep the Mini 2 in check or it can lurch back a bit too much.

I'm just looking for anything I can do to get a nice, straight up vertical takeoff without having to worrry about keeping that lurch in check.

Suggestions? TIA
2020-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've just tested my mini 2,  in both auto and manual take off modes, it does NOT move forward or backward at all, just a clean vertical take off.
2020-12-6
Use props
SipSip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 378510 ft
Canada

Maybe you have the IMU issue like a fair number of us. Mine lurches to the right when stopping from flying forward or backwards.
2020-12-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha vindibona,

Be sure to do a sticks calibration (Remote Controller).  Make sure that you get 100% in each stick direction (remember to calibrate the dial to).  

There may also be a EXP setting for the Aircraft or the Sticks.  The EXP will allow you to set sensitivity.

I have the Mavic Mini and it also uses DJI Fly but I will have to check to see if EXP is in the program.  If there is no difference between C (Cine?) and N (Normal?) modes as you note, you may need to reinstall the DJI Fly program.

Hope this helps!  Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-12-6
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

I'll have to do a stick calibration.   And it certainly doesn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall the fly app.   

I was practicing taking off and landing in my little office area and tried to fly down a hallway.   The sticks are SO sensitive, that if you want to move the drone inches through narrow areas only the very slightest push or pull on the stick will keep it at a controllable rate.  The air disruption in the narrow hallway really made the Mini 2 unstable and wanted to drift left uncommanded, yet I couldn't smoothly redirect it to the right to compensate for the disruptive turbulence.  I don't think stick calibration is going to help, but I'll try it.
2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there vindibona1. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate the IMU of your DJI Mini 2 and can you please fly your DJI drone to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. Thank you.
2020-12-6
Use props
djiuser_7ikdbdnlZ28U
New

Denmark

DJI Stephen Posted at 2020-12-6 19:59
Hello there vindibona1. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate the IMU of your DJI Mini 2 and can you please fly your DJI drone to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. Thank you.

I just received my second mini 3 pro today, and experiened same random forward and side movement indoors.  Before I could react and control it hit thecwall and I had to replace propllers as they were damaged. Tried IMU calibration andctried again. It looked to have fixed the issue, but no. My second attempt to take off using joystick was like a plane movingbforward during take off and hitting obstacles ahead. Somethingbis very wrong as despite being in cine mode and obstacle detection enabled, it still hit the obstacle in front. My first mini 3 pro didn't have any of these issues. Something is not right as I tested both in exactly same spot.
2022-12-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_7ikdbdnlZ28U Posted at 12-2 16:06
I just received my second mini 3 pro today, and experiened same random forward and side movement indoors.  Before I could react and control it hit thecwall and I had to replace propllers as they were damaged. Tried IMU calibration andctried again. It looked to have fixed the issue, but no. My second attempt to take off using joystick was like a plane movingbforward during take off and hitting obstacles ahead. Somethingbis very wrong as despite being in cine mode and obstacle detection enabled, it still hit the obstacle in front. My first mini 3 pro didn't have any of these issues. Something is not right as I tested both in exactly same spot.

Why fly indoors?  probably no gps lock and if the lighting is bad no hover stability!
Find a nice free open spot outside and learn to fly there...

If you like upload your flightlog for this indoor flight.
Use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

post the uploaded link on here.

cheers
JJB

2022-12-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another thought would be.........could the obstacle avoidance be driving this behaviour? Indoors I would definitely switch it off, my M2P/Z would be 'screaming at me' if I used OA indoors.

With regards to indoor flights with low light, with my mini 1s & 2s and possiibly my M2P/Z, at motor start the drones often think there is insufficient light for VPS to work and I have to go through a two or three step process that warns me of this and authorise motor start, but once the drones are airborne they realise/sense that there is sufficient light and VPS works. This warning is so frequent that I no longer pay any attention to the wording of the messages and merely touch the appropriate responses.

To djiuser_7ikdbdnlZ28U do you see such a warning?
I occasionally get a drift on launch, maybe up to 3ft or slightly more, but providing I launch with no obstacles within range or am ready to counter the drift as soon as it appears it is not a problem. I don't think I have crashed yet because of it and I have done several hundred indoor launches and landings.

I would suggest that it is unwise to take off in places where you have only one or two feet of horizontal clearance around the launch site.

2022-12-3
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-3 02:07
Why fly indoors?  probably no gps lock and if the lighting is bad no hover stability!
Find a nice free open spot outside and learn to fly there...

I fly indoors a fair amount, especially in the winter.  And you're right, if the lighting is bad the drone will shift into Atti mode and it's like driving on blue ice with no brakes.

But one thing that I think will work, but I haven't tried is putting a clear strobe on the bottom of the drone, of course not blocking the sensors and put the strobe on "continuous" rather than one of the strobe modes.  You can buy a small ViFly strobe for about $15 that weighs very little and attach it via strategically placed velcro.  There should be enough light from the bottom strobe to allow the vision sensors to work , providing there is some sort of pattern or texture below.
2022-12-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just something to think about, would a strobe on the bottom be damaging for the vision system sensors, it might be too bright when the drone is sitting on it. The M2P/Z has a powerful bottom light built in and that does not switch on until the drone is airborne.
Besides Bashy, a poster here, has said that if he attempts to hand launch his mini 3, with the bottom of the drone in a horizontal plain, the drone will not start motors, see the thread "Mini 3 Pro battery percentage pushing the limits"  ......... https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2916363
2022-12-3
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-3 09:56
Just something to think about, would a strobe on the bottom be damaging for the vision system sensors, it might be too bright when the drone is sitting on it. The M2P/Z has a powerful bottom light built in and that does not switch on until the drone is airborne.
Besides Bashy, a poster here, has said that if he attempts to hand launch his mini 3, with the bottom of the drone in a horizontal plain, the drone will not start motors, see the thread "Mini 3 Pro battery percentage pushing the limits"  ......... https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=280254&page=1#pid2916363

I don’t think the brightness of a continuous light or a strobe would damage the sensors. I would, however, recommend using one of the several “leg” extenders that are available. I don’t think you want the strobe sitting on the ground with your drone on top of it. If you are indoors, the 250 g threshold doesn’t really matter if it’s important to you at all outside.

The thing is that if there isn’t enough light for the vision sensors to work, I would like to believe that a continuous light on the bottom would really help out.
2022-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules