Tips over on Take-off
1750 8 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thisisannoying
lvl.1
United States

I landed my drone in moderate winds and it tipped over, digging the propellers into the dirt. Now, when I try to fly the drone it starts well, but immediately tips over on take-off, even in no-wind situations. All 4 motors spin equally well when the drone is turned off. The drone seems to run well when I just run it without propellers. The propellers are still in good shape. None of the motors are loose or seem pointed in the wrong direction. Any ideas?

2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since your DJI drone tipped over on your previous flight and this unfortunate event happened I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. Thank you.
2020-12-6
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Did you calibrate the RC sticks yet? May be the RC needs it. Looks like the RC sends the wrong command to the AC without your action on sticks.
2020-12-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Could it be you're launching too tentatively?  It helps to launch with a certain amount of aggression.  I like to use the auto-launch.  Another possibility is your IMU needs a calibration (i.e. gyros aren't right).  Good luck
2020-12-8
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Making sure the ground is absolutely level, and also I would suggest balancing your props may help if the other suggestions do not.
2020-12-8
Use props
Thisisannoying
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the ideas. I launch pretty quickly and still have the problem in no wind on level ground. I have not done any of the things you all have suggested, so I will get to work. Thank you very much for your help. I'll post an update later.
2020-12-8
Use props
Thisisannoying
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for all of your help! I recalibrated the IMU and RC and replaced the propellers. It is now back working normally. When I replaced the propellers, they were more dinged up than I thought. So I'm guessing that was probably the issue. Kind of a "if your computer isn't working, be sure it's plugged in issue." I should have been alert enough to check that first. Sigh.
2020-12-19
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Thisisannoying Posted at 12-19 11:38
Thank you for all of your help! I recalibrated the IMU and RC and replaced the propellers. It is now back working normally. When I replaced the propellers, they were more dinged up than I thought. So I'm guessing that was probably the issue. Kind of a "if your computer isn't working, be sure it's plugged in issue." I should have been alert enough to check that first. Sigh.

A dinged propeller will change it's 'bite' resulting in reduced lift...... Yet the motor speed will be adjusted as directed by the IMU to keep the craft flying level. The Go app should tell you if the IMU has a problem or needs calibrated. True, taking off on an unlevel surface will cause a 'flip' but sometimes the IMU gets stuck after a crash and usually just needs a few taps to unstick the sensor forks.  If the craft hovers then slowly  begins to travel in a circle, it's the IMU. Otherwise, it's the controller that needs the sticks calibrated.   
2020-12-29
Use props
Thisisannoying
lvl.1
United States

Betamace Posted at 12-29 16:27
A dinged propeller will change it's 'bite' resulting in reduced lift...... Yet the motor speed will be adjusted as directed by the IMU to keep the craft flying level. The Go app should tell you if the IMU has a problem or needs calibrated. True, taking off on an unlevel surface will cause a 'flip' but sometimes the IMU gets stuck after a crash and usually just needs a few taps to unstick the sensor forks.  If the craft hovers then slowly  begins to travel in a circle, it's the IMU. Otherwise, it's the controller that needs the sticks calibrated.

Thank you for the info. I have a lot to learn. :-)
2020-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules