Winter Mavic Air 2 Battery Question
1681 9 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Hi. I live in the northwest USA where it gets pretty cold and can also get snowy in the winter. I really don't like to fly my Mavic Air 2 in conditions below 40 degrees F. I have the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo (3 batteries). It could be a period of 2-3 months of no flights. Does anybody have any suggestions or tips on maintaining the Mavic Air 2 batteries during a possible rather long flight layoff so as to prolong their life and keep them in optimum shape for when the weather breaks? Best wishes to everyone.
2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Magicdroner. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since winter is coming I will post a link where in you can check some tips on Flying a Drone in Winter: 5 Things You Must Know ( https://store.dji.com/guides/winter-drone-flying-tips/ ). Thank you and fly safe always. .
2020-12-6
Use props
azzido
lvl.1

Germany

I recommend you the charge the battery to SoC=80% and keep it at room temperature. If you keep longer, don't forget to check from time to time the state condition. If the cells voltages drop bellow a specific value then the battery chip could enter in Permanent Failure.

Also, after store period I recommend you to do a full charge/discharge cycle to let the chip re-learn the actual state and update dynamic FCC parameter.
2020-12-7
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

azzido Posted at 12-7 00:45
I recommend you the charge the battery to SoC=80% and keep it at room temperature. If you keep longer, don't forget to check from time to time the state condition. If the cells voltages drop bellow a specific value then the battery chip could enter in Permanent Failure.

Also, after store period I recommend you to do a full charge/discharge cycle to let the chip re-learn the actual state and update dynamic FCC parameter.

Hi. What I am really kind of looking for is the range of the battery charge percentage that is optimum for keeping basically inactive Mavic Air 2 batteries in good health. Also does anybody know a way to run down a battery besides sticking it in the drone? I would imagine that without engaging the props it would take quite a while to run a battery down to a level that you want. I am concerned with all this because I've heard it is not good to charge the Mavic Air 2 Lipo battery to 100% and then just let it set for several weeks. Thanks for any help with this.
2020-12-7
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 12-7 21:54
Hi. What I am really kind of looking for is the range of the battery charge percentage that is optimum for keeping basically inactive Mavic Air 2 batteries in good health. Also does anybody know a way to run down a battery besides sticking it in the drone? I would imagine that without engaging the props it would take quite a while to run a battery down to a level that you want. I am concerned with all this because I've heard it is not good to charge the Mavic Air 2 Lipo battery to 100% and then just let it set for several weeks. Thanks for any help with this.

The batteries being auto drain to around 60% after about a week.  They do this automatically to protect the battery and not the chip set.  I have read on another forum that the battery will discharge a slower pace there after and will eventually drain all the power.  Others have said it does not harm the battery on the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom.  I would assume DJI uses a similar process for the Mavic Air 2.
2020-12-7
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-7 22:56
The batteries being auto drain to around 60% after about a week.  They do this automatically to protect the battery and not the chip set.  I have read on another forum that the battery will discharge a slower pace there after and will eventually drain all the power.  Others have said it does not harm the battery on the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom.  I would assume DJI uses a similar process for the Mavic Air 2.

Hi. Does anybody know if it hurts the Mavic Air 2 Lipo battery to charge it from say 30% up to 80% and not all the way up to the 100% ?
2020-12-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 12-7 21:54

There's a little adapter that comes with your MA2 that allows the battery to be used to charge other devices.  Once a month, charge up your batteries, then use then to recharge your cell phone.  I've done this with my Mavic Pro for three years and they "seem" as fresh as the day purchased.  And because you can use the controller to charge your phone too, the same process can be used for that device.  It'll take 3-4 recharge cycles to deplete those batteries to 40-50%.

Check your user guide for the flashing light code that represents a 40-50% charge.  That's the charge level I maintain while at rest.  (and when I check the voltage, that's the closest to the recommended "storage" voltage for most LiPO batteries.)
2020-12-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 12-9 12:23
Hi. Does anybody know if it hurts the Mavic Air 2 Lipo battery to charge it from say 30% up to 80% and not all the way up to the 100% ?

Doesn't matter.  No need to top off the battery before lowering it to a storage percent (see my previous post).  Sometimes' I'll just charge the battery to the storage level and if I over-shoot the desired stop-point, I just do the depletion method mentioned earlier.
2020-12-9
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-9 12:37
Doesn't matter.  No need to top off the battery before lowering it to a storage percent (see my previous post).  Sometimes' I'll just charge the battery to the storage level and if I over-shoot the desired stop-point, I just do the depletion method mentioned earlier.

Hi. Thank you everyone for your help on this question. Today I devised a method to try and maintain my Mavic Air 2 batteries over the non-flying winter months.
About once a month I am going to charge each of my batteries to approximately 90% charge. Today I did this by timing how long it took to charge each battery from 50% to 75% and then I just charged an additional 3/5 of that (50% to 75%) time after the battery hit 75%. For each battery it took about 10 or 11 minutes additional charge time after hitting the 75% charge to get the approximately 90% charge. I would imagine these charging times will vary according to the age and health of your batteries. Take care.
2020-12-13
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Magicdroner Posted at 12-13 08:27
Hi. Thank you everyone for your help on this question. Today I devised a method to try and maintain my Mavic Air 2 batteries over the non-flying winter months.
About once a month I am going to charge each of my batteries to approximately 90% charge. Today I did this by timing how long it took to charge each battery from 50% to 75% and then I just charged an additional 3/5 of that (50% to 75%) time after the battery hit 75%. For each battery it took about 10 or 11 minutes additional charge time after hitting the 75% charge to get the approximately 90% charge. I would imagine these charging times will vary according to the age and health of your batteries. Take care.

You're making this much more complicated than need be :-)   As I mentioned earlier,

"Check your user guide for the flashing light code that represents a 40-50% charge.  That's the charge level I maintain while at rest.  (and when I check the voltage, that's the closest to the recommended "storage" voltage for most LiPO batteries.)". Whilst you're charging up each battery again, simply check for the blinking lights that align with 40-50% charged.
2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules