1768 11 2020-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mymanhood
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17986 ft
Kazakhstan

Hi There All,

I have some issues with my Mavic pro 2?  We i ddont have any issues now actually as i havent seen it since it disappeared into the trees at the Wallce monument in Stirling, Scotland!!!!!!  

I was flying my Mavic pro  around the monument snapping some epic footage when it suddly flashed up on the  control of High wind and then intitiated a RTH command and asked me to  confim.  Before i could confirm, the Drone lost signal and has never  been seen again.  I contacted DJI and they say that the log indicates  that i manually gave a signal to auto land.  THIS IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED!  but it is what the log says and the logs also mention nothing about the  high wind warning nor the loss of signal.

Is this a common problem.  DJI are claiming pilot error, however i didnt  have the chance to accept the requested RTH command let along give my  own command before the signal was lost.

I hunted for 2 or 3 days around the monument and checked the last  recorde point which was on the back side of the monument which a  forrested cliff.  I also drove around the monument and got a signal back  for a second where the camera looked like it was in the trees.  I tried  the locater pings but could not hear the drone.  Yes i am upset at  loosing the drone but more upset of lossing the footage. Its very  diappointing but i am shocked about the results from the logs as these are not acurate at all.

It would be very helpful to hear of other Mavic 2 Pro similar issues if anyone has encountered

Thanks and Kind regards,

Mymanhood
2020-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Sorry for your loss.

Best to get help is to upload your flightlog for this flight, using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Or just put a cloud-link to your flightlog.txt

cheers
JJB
2020-12-7
Use props
Mymanhood
lvl.1
Kazakhstan

JJB* Posted at 12-7 08:32
Hi,

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you i will try this

Kind regards,

Chris
2020-12-7
Use props
Mymanhood
lvl.1
Kazakhstan

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CYDP8RLB797F7H51S6UT
2020-12-7
Use props
Mymanhood
lvl.1
Kazakhstan

Am i right in saying it clearly shows that signal was lost?  It says seconds but the controller was saying signal lost and i didnt see any signal again until 15minutes wheni got a brief immage from the drone!
2020-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Chris,

Had a look at your flightlog.

At 3m18.4s  you lost connection with your MP2 for 3.9 seconds, but at that time it was in autolanding mode.

Just before the autolanding a message "Command Timeout" in the log, indication that no signals going to the drone or returning.
Mayby for you the reason to go for a RTH as well ?

The autolanding was initiated by the app at 3m14s.  As you wanted to do a RTH, guess by accident used the wrong soft button in the GoApp?  [ i made this misytake myself 2 times, since than i only use the RTH button on the controller!)

Mayby you lost connection bc flying behind that monument, your take-off postion lower than the monument so LOS for radio signals was broken, not sure about this as you were flying at 109 meter.

MP2 must have landed there, as you could not find it ; must have been taken away by someone, but make more sense that your MP2 landed at a tree at the top....

BTW at 2m28s this in the log  "High wind velocity. Fly with caution and land in a safe place ASAP".

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2020-12-7
Use props
Mymanhood
lvl.1
Kazakhstan

JJB* Posted at 12-7 11:52
Hi Chris,

Had a look at your flightlog.
[Image]

Thank you very much for your help with the logs, DJI were saying there was no loss of signal and now it’s clear there was. Drone was in my line of site at all times so I do t think it was a loss of signal due to the monument however, when it lost signal, I didn’t give any command, the app prompted me to accept a RTH but before I could accept the screen said signal lost.

May I ask one question, with the 3.9 second signal loss, should the MP2 not automatically got to RTH mode as default?

Thanks again it’s so nice to have the full picture!

Kind regards,

Chris
2020-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mymanhood Posted at 12-7 12:28
Thank you very much for your help with the logs, DJI were saying there was no loss of signal and now it’s clear there was. Drone was in my line of site at all times so I do t think it was a loss of signal due to the monument however, when it lost signal, I didn’t give any command, the app prompted me to accept a RTH but before I could accept the screen said signal lost.

May I ask one question, with the 3.9 second signal loss, should the MP2 not automatically got to RTH mode as default?

HI,

Wish you had a screen recorder active for this flight. why?  because than you could prove that a RTH prompt was there. As far as i can see in the log an autolanding was initiated by you.

About loss of contact, only a full loss of comms will initiate a RTH, this can be a partial disconnect ; only signal back to the app is lost but the up signal is still there, so no RTH.
Sometimes you loose the video feed, so black or frozen screen, while the RC is still working to the drone.

So this 3.9 partial data loss happend while in autolanding, my guess being partial no trigger for a RTH.
AFAIK while in autolanding and full loss of comms ; craft will enter a RTH.

cheers
JJB
2020-12-7
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 12-7 12:56
HI,

Wish you had a screen recorder active for this flight. why?  because than you could prove that a RTH prompt was there. As far as i can see in the log an autolanding was initiated by you.

I believe LOS on auto landing triggers RTH.

I tested this with my M2 by switching the controller off and thats exactly what happened - it climbs back to the RTH altitude (not great if windy) and comes home.

I dont like this behaviour as it limits the options for forced emergency landings a distance from home as you'll almost always lose signal once it gets low enough.
2020-12-7
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

Once,  during my night flight I accidently pressed autolanding button instead of RTH.
I didn't realize my mistake until I saw my drone was descending somewhere nearby lake  far from home point and  split  of  second  managed to  cancel autolanding ()  when the drone was almost 2 m from the water surface.
I think ,I  should also follow JJB* advise and only use the RTH hard button  on controller but not on the software screen.
2020-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

gnirtS Posted at 12-7 14:05
I believe LOS on auto landing triggers RTH.

I tested this with my M2 by switching the controller off and thats exactly what happened - it climbs back to the RTH altitude (not great if windy) and comes home.

Hi gnirtS

I agree with you, DJI should change this in their sofware.

If i, on purpose wants to land somewhere for not loosing my drone, than my good safe intention is cancelled when the signal is lost!  

cheers
JJB
2020-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

akozc Posted at 12-7 17:31
Once,  during my night flight I accidently pressed autoloading button instead of RTH.
I didn't realize my mistake until I saw my drone was descending somewhere nearby lake  far from home point and  split  of  second  managed to  cancel autoloading ()  when the drone was almost 2 m from the water surface.
I think ,I  should also follow  JJB* advise and only use the RTH hard button  on controller but not on the software screen.

Wow   2 meters more and....

Same expereince here, just in the beginning of learning to fly on my SPARK.

Lost sight of my drone, oke, stress!!  oke, no problem press RTH in the GoApp.
But i touched the wrong butto, due to stress...(audio low....ect etc)
Only reading the screen i suddenly saw that the height was decreasing...

(Bad UI design btw, as the RTH and AutoLanding soft buttons are close to each other)

So my advice ALWAYS use the RTH botton on the RC!

cheers
JJB
2020-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules