1791 3 2020-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Above Barbados
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5763537 ft
  • >>>
Bahamas

Hi group, looking to see if anyone else can shed experience/light/advice on housing issues with the Osmo Action. I moved to using a dive housing for it due to them taking in water twice below 30ft (seems an intermittent, yet common problem for it despite it's stated waterproofing).  The Osmo Action's colours and range are FAR superior and preferable to my GoPro Hero 8 Black underwater. However, the Osmo overheats and condensates the housing rapidly. I've tried five moisture inserts at once, I changed from 4K@60 down to 1080P and 5burst raw down to single shot raw, turning off the back screen and even the whole camera between shots. However, no matter what I do, I can only use the camera for a few minutes before having to let it cool/demoisturise for a good 10+ minutes.  The GoPro does suffer a little from this, nowhere near the level of the Osmo, you'd get maybe 2-3x the amount of usage out of the Hero 8 before it condensates.  Taking the housing off and snorkeling/shallow diving with the camera 'naked' is risky, as I've found. And regardless, this is only applicable if you're snorkeling, if you're (shallow) diving the rubber membrane buttons can't be used over ~20ft due to the pressure (common for both GoPro and Osmo).   

I found this metal housing ([color=var(--blue-link)]https://www.uwcamerastore.com/t-housing-aluminum-deepdive-housing-v2-for-dji-osmo-action) for the Osmo, which claims to help it cool down and remove condensation issues, it's a fair chunk of money (given you'd need their filters too) and wondering if anyone has tested it and can report back or recommend anything similar?

2020-12-8
Use props
djiuser_1gLgtdPa7rPR
New
Norway

Hi
I have yust receivez my dji osmo action with all extras.  Amongst the housing so i can dive 50 ft, and i am curious about how the result will be. Will there be condensation, leaks?  I will report back after my dive. Have used both gopro and some oter brand without problem.
2020-12-30
Use props
Above Barbados
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5763537 ft
  • >>>
Barbados

Hi, I look forward to hearing how you get on. The condensation isn't leaks as such, it's because the camera gets so hot and there is no way for it to dissipate that heat through a plastic housing. I found that (in tropical/Caribbean water) the moisture strips did little, I ended up switching to 1080P (rather than 4K) and turning the camera on/off taking short shots. Not ideal. Burst RAW photography absolutely hammered the heat up with near instant condensation.
2020-12-30
Use props
opri
lvl.1
Croatia

Hello,
I need some help or advice.
I bought new Osmo action camera and underwater housing (original, genuine), because I scuba dive and dive up to 40m.
Today I use it for the first time and after 2m housing leak, and water get inside the case!!??
I am not sure way, it is new and everything was checked twice.
What I should do now??
I also have SJ cam with dive housing and never I have problem with leaking..
20210926_193846.jpg
20210926_161951.jpg
2021-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules