3493 23 2020-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't seem to make tracking work - I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I select 'Track' - draw the rectangle, select the top icon to follow, acknowledge the danger prompt. But it never tracks/follows.  I just walk right out of the green rectangle.  Paging Henrick

2020-12-8
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

for me it's very dumb too .... it's even a big risk ...
2020-12-8
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I see you have a course lock on, so I suppose the joystick reference isn't set to default, but another custom setting. See Litchi Help
In addition, the selection right next to another object (car) or in the shadow is not ideal. But the main cause will be the joystick setting...I think.
2020-12-8
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jonny007 Posted at 12-8 08:32
I see you have a course lock on, so I suppose the joystick reference isn't set to default, but another custom setting. See Litchi Help
In addition, the selection right next to another object (car) or in the shadow is not ideal. But the main cause will be the joystick setting...I think.

Thanks, I'm going to check this out.  I will reset it all to defaults - although I don't recall changing them
2020-12-8
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

Porktree Posted at 12-8 09:09
Thanks, I'm going to check this out.  I will reset it all to defaults - although I don't recall changing them

After you have selected the tracking object, you need to press "Start follow", the drone will fly after the object. You can also turn on the "Orbit", then the drone will fly around the object in a circle. Read the manual ...
2020-12-8
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 12-8 09:19
After you have selected the tracking object, you need to press "Start follow", the drone will fly after the object. You can also turn on the "Orbit", then the drone will fly around the object in a circle. Read the manual ...

I thought that's what I was doing when I pushed this 'button'..

2020-12-8
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Porktree Posted at 12-8 10:24
I thought that's what I was doing when I pushed this 'button'..

[view_image]

You did from what I could tell, it lost you because it try's to follow the highest contrast and thought the grass was still you. Start the tracking while you are in the shade for best results in sunny conditions, litchi works better when light is more evenly lit outside.

2020-12-8
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I see that it camera tracks me - and I can make orbit work fine.  It just refuses to follow.  I took off the nd filter (8) to see if that had any effect.  It was minimal.  I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro.  I think that the tracking is more of gimmick than something reliable.  And perhaps I'm to used to the solid work from the Mavic 2.   I'll also try ABI's suggestion above.

2020-12-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Porktree Posted at 12-8 12:57
I see that it camera tracks me - and I can make orbit work fine.  It just refuses to follow.  I took off the nd filter (8) to see if that had any effect.  It was minimal.  I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro.  I think that the tracking is more of gimmick than something reliable.  And perhaps I'm to used to the solid work from the Mavic 2.   I'll also try ABI's suggestion above.

https://youtu.be/nKYXO3CkNDQ

I see you have the over-exposure warning zebra stripes on. Try turning them off. The camera may be confused by them.
2020-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Porktree. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party application, I hope that you will get the best information with regards to this matter from our fellow DJI co pilots who have tried using the Litchi application. Just a reminder to please use the recommended DJI application ( DJI Fly application ) when flying your DJI Mavic Mini to ensure stability and comparability during flight and 3rd party applications like Litchi can void the warranty of your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and safe flying always.
2020-12-8
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-8 17:37
I see you have the over-exposure warning zebra stripes on. Try turning them off. The camera may be confused by them.

I'll give this a try tomorrow.  I notice Henrik's video of tracking was done without a lot of background 'noise'.  Thanks.
2020-12-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Try at a higher height, you could be too low.
2020-12-8
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same problem quite a few times u til I changed direction and angle. Just try different altitude/distance settings.
https://youtu.be/5Rdpm_2caq0
2020-12-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

How do you like Litchi so far compared to the Fly app?
2020-12-9
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Better use follow me mode, it's tracking on your phone/tablet device, be-aware to set your phone or tablet in settings to location: GPS only !
increase the max location accuracy to 15 mtrs in the litchi app settings .
2020-12-9
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 12-9 00:14
I had the same problem quite a few times u til I changed direction and angle. Just try different altitude/distance settings.
https://youtu.be/5Rdpm_2caq0

Interesting.  That's pretty instructional.  It's going to be nice out again today here in Missouri, USA so I'll try everyone's tips.  
2020-12-9
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-9 00:17
How do you like Litchi so far compared to the Fly app?

I've been using Litchi since my first DJI drone (P3).  The mission/waypoint settings are the gold standard. If I only had a Mini I'd still spend the $20.  It's a great app for flying and it adds a lot of little tweaks that DJI has left out of the Fly app.  Plus I trust the Litchi guy more than I trust the bots from DJI
2020-12-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Porktree Posted at 12-9 07:05
I've been using Litchi since my first DJI drone (P3).  The mission/waypoint settings are the gold standard. If I only had a Mini I'd still spend the $20.  It's a great app for flying and it adds a lot of little tweaks that DJI has left out of the Fly app.  Plus I trust the Litchi guy more than I trust the bots from DJI

Nice.
I just got my Mini 2 so I have to wait a little (a year or so) before it is working, but who knows.
2020-12-9
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Porktree Posted at 12-8 12:57

https://youtu.be/nKYXO3CkNDQ

At least the course lock is gone (= joystick default), but I think the angle from the drone to you is unfavorable for this attempt (too steep). Another possibility: Fly the drone to the position from which it should follow you, select the Follow mode directly (not via Track), then "Set from Aircraft Position" and start.
2020-12-9
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok, I got it 'working' - it was a combination of things.  I needed to be on a less cluttered background.  It was very finicky about height and angle.   I turned off the zebra stripes, and left the nd filter in the bag.  And it worked, it tracked me until I changed background (grass to driveway etc).  My take-away is:

1 - This is a gimmick, it requires too many conditions to be met for it to be a reliable mode.
2 - Orbit in tracking works great.
3 - Follow mode will do what I need it to do and works every time.  

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.
2020-12-9
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

Porktree Posted at 12-9 10:12
Ok, I got it 'working' - it was a combination of things.  I needed to be on a less cluttered background.  It was very finicky about height and angle.   I turned off the zebra stripes, and left the nd filter in the bag.  And it worked, it tracked me until I changed background (grass to driveway etc).  My take-away is:

1 - This is a gimmick, it requires too many conditions to be met for it to be a reliable mode.

Glad you are having better luck, it's less about the background and more about the lighting. At the right time of day it should work without much fuss, but on sunny day's and the conditions from your videos are the less then optimal conditions to be tracking in.
2020-12-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done
2020-12-9
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 12-9 10:26
Glad you are having better luck, it's less about the background and more about the lighting. At the right time of day it should work without much fuss, but on sunny day's and the conditions from your videos are the less then optimal conditions to be tracking in.

LOL - ya, but if it requires perfect lighting, and the right time of day, then it's not as much a feature as it is a magic trick
2020-12-9
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

Porktree Posted at 12-9 12:42
LOL - ya, but if it requires perfect lighting, and the right time of day, then it's not as much a feature as it is a magic trick

I don't know, we all have different opinions but  with that logic all cameras are late night bar tricks, people spend thousands to get the perfect lighting and were told often that shooting on sunny day's is less then ideal. Everyone talks about the right time of day for shooting and it's never when it's bright and sunny out, with the help of nd filters or really high shutter speed It's doable but it's not Ideal.

So if my DSLR doesn't work great in sunny weather then it's a magic trick right? As the old saying goes, it's not the camera but the operator. Litchi isn't a first party application and It's a tool we didn't have access to before, those who understand it's limitations and can work around them know how to maximize the use of there tool.
2020-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules