Video split-up in 2 parts
8321 18 2020-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robert20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 976798 ft
Netherlands

In some flights the video is splitting up in 2 parts. In the Fly app and Airdata UAV the flight is registered as one flight and both give no warnings of RC video interruption. Flights were in open field and I am quite sure there were no sources of interferences. The SD card is a Samsung EVO plus (UHS-1) 64 GB, as advised in the manual. Do I oversee something?  
2020-12-8
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Your SD card is probably formatted fat32, which has a file size limit of 4GB. So it will just break up the video recording to appropriate sizes. you can just stitch them together in video editing software!
2020-12-8
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

See if you format your SD card; in exFAT file system if the Mini 2 will except that. Then your videos should be one large file.
2020-12-8
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

videoeditman Posted at 12-8 12:32
See if you format your SD card; in exFAT file system if the Mini 2 will except that. Then your videos should be one large file.

Thanks. I have checked the videos and indeed, all the 1st parts were limited to 3,80GB. Stitching is the remedy, though 4K will be reduced to 1080P. I will try your suggestion to format to exFAT.
2020-12-8
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Was the first part of the cut video about 4GB ? If yes, exFAT formatting won't help, the 4GB or 30 minutes limitation is always there.
2020-12-8
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

jonny007 Posted at 12-8 13:09
Was the first part of the cut video about 4GB ? If yes, exFAT formatting won't help, the 4GB or 30 minutes limitation is always there.

Yes, all cutted at 3.80GB (4.090.804.235 bytes).  Video shooted at 4K. With the Mini 1 only used 2,7K , so I think this is the problem. I also might go back to 1080p to avoid it.
2020-12-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Robert20 Posted at 12-8 13:17
Yes, all cutted at 3.80GB (4.090.804.235 bytes).  Video shooted at 4K. With the Mini 1 only used 2,7K , so I think this is the problem. I also might go back to 1080p to avoid it.

Jonny007 is spot on. This has nothing to do with the card formatting. Ever since the first DJI drone, DJI have split the file in two after it exceeds 4GB in size. This relates to a very old importation issue where any device that could record a file of 4GB or larger was classified as a recorder and any device under 4GB was classified as a camera. It was done because the import taxes were lower for cameras. For some reason, DJI insist on keeping up this strange routine.

By the way, it will still happen if you lower the resolution to 1080p, but your battery will probably run out before you reach the 4GB limit.

2020-12-8
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Robert20 Posted at 12-8 12:39
Thanks. I have checked the videos and indeed, all the 1st parts were limited to 3,80GB. Stitching is the remedy, though 4K will be reduced to 1080P. I will try your suggestion to format to exFAT.

Why would stitching the videos change it to 1080? is this in the FLY App? Most video editing software that does 4k would stitch them together with no loss.
2020-12-8
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

videoeditman Posted at 12-8 13:34
Why would stitching the videos change it to 1080? is this in the FLY App? Most video editing software that does 4k would stitch them together with no loss.

I should look to another program which offers 4K stitching without loss.
2020-12-8
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 12-8 13:30
Jonny007 is spot on. This has nothing to do with the card formatting. Ever since the first DJI drone, DJI have split the file in two after it exceeds 4GB in size. This relates to a very old importation issue where any device that could record a file of 4GB or larger was classified as a recorder and any device under 4GB was classified as a camera. It was done because the import taxes were lower for cameras. For some reason, DJI insist on keeping up this strange routine.

By the way, it will still happen if you lower the resolution to 1080p, but your battery will probably run out before you reach the 4GB limit.

Interesting info for the new Mini 2 users now 4K is available.
2020-12-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With my several drones, shooting in 4K, every lengthy video is split at roughly 4Gb, but the two files will run seamlessly on playback.
2020-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Robert20. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-12-8
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-8 20:19
Hello there Robert20. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you and fly safe always.

Thanks. It's clear for me now.
2020-12-9
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Robert20 Posted at 12-9 02:59

Yes, don't worry about it. All the video is still there, just in more than one segment depending on how long you're recording.
2020-12-9
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Robert20 Posted at 12-8 13:17
Yes, all cutted at 3.80GB (4.090.804.235 bytes).  Video shooted at 4K. With the Mini 1 only used 2,7K , so I think this is the problem. I also might go back to 1080p to avoid it.

Do you really need that much recording time in a single clip ? From my practice I have to say that I rarely record longer than 2 minutes, unless I plan a time lapse and e.g. speed up 5 minutes of recording to 10 seconds playing time. I have seen some YT videos, where they have flown for some minutes without changing scene...awfully boring.
2020-12-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Robert20 Posted at 12-9 02:59

Hi there Robert20. You are very much welcome and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you. .
2020-12-11
Use props
Armando80
lvl.4
Flight distance : 848524 ft
Netherlands

videoeditman Posted at 2020-12-8 12:28
Your SD card is probably formatted fat32, which has a file size limit of 4GB. So it will just break up the video recording to appropriate sizes. you can just stitch them together in video editing software!

I'm experiencing the same 'problem', but when opening the second part of the file, it gives an error. Also  two different video editing software programs refuse to open the second part. Any suggestions on what to try? I own a MacBook so Windows software won't work for me...
2021-3-6
Use props
Drewsamm
lvl.2

United States

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the video itself? Maybe some errors happened during the conversion or transformation. Perhaps you could try using video repair software. Most video repairing tools can fix damaged and corrupted videos easily.
2021-6-18
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Armando80 Posted at 3-6 14:49
I'm experiencing the same 'problem', but when opening the second part of the file, it gives an error. Also  two different video editing software programs refuse to open the second part. Any suggestions on what to try? I own a MacBook so Windows software won't work for me...

That's probably because you forgot to stop video recording before you turned off your drone. Drone will automatically fix this when you turn it on next time, but if you removed your clip from the SD card you will have to fix it yourself. I use untrunc to fix this issue:

https://github.com/ponchio/untrunc
2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules