how to make sure focus is where I need it to be? (usually: infinity)
5549 21 2020-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi All,

I'm using the Pocket 2 mainly to shoot timelapses, but it's frustrating my attempts to focus where I need it to focus (usually at infinity).

I'm controlling the P2 via the Mimo app on my phone using the Do-it-all handle's wifi. The P2 is set to AFS.

My last 12 timelapse sequences (3 different days) have all been sunsets. To focus, I tap on a high-contrast object at infinity (e.g. a bunch of trees off in the distance, silhouetted against a bright sky) and the P2 goes through its focus motions and then locks. But it has almost always ended up focussing somewhere else (sometimes only 10m away from me). Only in 2 sequences has it actually focussed at infinity.

The only way I can think of to be able to check where it is truly focussing is to take a single photo, download that to my phone, zoom in to check focus, then change the pocket to timelapse mode, set my motion keyframes (I usually shoot custom motion timelapses) and then set the timelapse going. But this is a huge faff, and would slow me way down (and this assumes the P2 would not change its focus as I switched from Photo to Timelapse). If I wanted to work slowly, I'd use my DSLRs/mirrorless cameras; I bought the Pocket 2 to travel light, and shoot quickly.

Any other ideas on how to make sure my Pocket 2 is actually focussed where I want it to focus? (focus peaking would sure be nice to have!).

Chas
2020-12-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think it's press and hold on the screen to lock focus but on AFS you shouldn't need to do this I would have thought.  And if it's locked focus onto the wrong thing, it won't help...  I wonder whether this is to do with timelapse mode in itself adjusting focus.  Do you have problems with accurate focus just taking photos?
2020-12-9
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a bug. I noticed it re-focuses.
2020-12-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I can imagine situations where refocussing would be wanted, but if the function simply follows the AFS / AFC setting, there should be no problem.  Hopefully DJI will take this on board for a firmware fix.
2020-12-9
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-9 14:33
I think it's press and hold on the screen to lock focus but on AFS you shouldn't need to do this I would have thought.  And if it's locked focus onto the wrong thing, it won't help...  I wonder whether this is to do with timelapse mode in itself adjusting focus.  Do you have problems with accurate focus just taking photos?

I have to admit: I've never taken a photo (at least a considered one) with the Pocket 2 :-) Next time I'm out shooting some TL's, I'm going to use a single photo as a focus test before setting up a timelapse sequence (not that I trust the P2 to keep that focus point when I switch to Timelapse mode, but it's worth a try).
2020-12-10
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Blellow Posted at 12-9 15:42
It's a bug. I noticed it re-focuses.

thanks for confirming. Would be a good bug to fix!
2020-12-10
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-9 17:41
I can imagine situations where refocussing would be wanted, but if the function simply follows the AFS / AFC setting, there should be no problem.  Hopefully DJI will take this on board for a firmware fix.

plus 1 to that hope :-)
2020-12-10
Use props
daveshow
New
United States

it's a tap on the object in AFS mode- it produces a pair of bracket at the point it thinks you were indicating- which has worked for me to focus and adjust the exposure in normal lighting. In AFS mode, it SHOULD lock the focus as well. But in time lapse videos of the night sky using 8 second exposures where neither I, or presumably, the camera, can see anything, this doesn't work. While the exposure turns out to be fantastic the camera ruins the shot hunting for focus, even with AFS mode. in a 36 second video shot over 3 hours, less than half  of it is in focus. It would be great to have a true focus lock or focus once-and-disable-auto feature to be able to do this kind of shot successfully. It's a top interest of mine and I'm bummed it doesn't work
2020-12-10
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

daveshow Posted at 12-10 15:42
it's a tap on the object in AFS mode- it produces a pair of bracket at the point it thinks you were indicating- which has worked for me to focus and adjust the exposure in normal lighting. In AFS mode, it SHOULD lock the focus as well. But in time lapse videos of the night sky using 8 second exposures where neither I, or presumably, the camera, can see anything, this doesn't work. While the exposure turns out to be fantastic the camera ruins the shot hunting for focus, even with AFS mode. in a 36 second video shot over 3 hours, less than half  of it is in focus. It would be great to have a true focus lock or focus once-and-disable-auto feature to be able to do this kind of shot successfully. It's a top interest of mine and I'm bummed it doesn't work

You had the  focus change _during_ a timelapse, even when you were in AFS mode? Oh, that's not good at all!

Forgive me for asking, but are you _sure_ you were in AFS and not AFC? This is behaviour I'd expect from AFC, assuming a bird or something caused the camera to refocus.  

But in my case, I definitely have been shooting in AFS, and a tap did bring up the yellow brackets showing where the camera was supposed to focus.  I always make sure to focus on high contrast subjects, it should have had no problems focusing each time, which is why I was surprised to have so many sequences out of focus (and thus this thread).

DJI: it would be _really_ nice if we could have a true focus lock! (hint hint :-)
2020-12-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It does have focus lock - press and hold - but it seems not to work in a timelapse.  A lapse by DJI, methinks.
2020-12-11
Use props
daveshow
New
United States

chasg Posted at 12-11 11:53
You had the  focus change _during_ a timelapse, even when you were in AFS mode? Oh, that's not good at all!

Forgive me for asking, but are you _sure_ you were in AFS and not AFC? This is behaviour I'd expect from AFC, assuming a bird or something caused the camera to refocus.  

I have had mixed results with AFS in time lapse mode. Sometimes it is solid and sometimes it hunts after a couple of hours of shooting
2020-12-12
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

I hope DJI replys, I was also wondering why focus shifts in timelapse.
2020-12-12
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

daveshow Posted at 12-12 10:32
I have had mixed results with AFS in time lapse mode. Sometimes it is solid and sometimes it hunts after a couple of hours of shooting

that's awful, this problem makes the Pocket 2 useless for reliable timelapses (which is the main reason I bought it, curses!).
2020-12-13
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GRandyB Posted at 12-12 14:29
I hope DJI replys, I was also wondering why focus shifts in timelapse.

fingers crossed for all of us timelapsers!
2020-12-13
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

• This along with no HDR shows that the P2 can't carry the OP's lunch at the moment. I was doing more stills testing today and saw the same. DJI needs to step up and address these issues (and others), and I don't mean a response from the Forum bots.

• Their (DJI Support / Corporate) silence is worrisome.

• I still have 30 days left in my return window with BestBuy - but would prefer a shot at a possible firmware upgrade to fix the issues instead.

2020-12-13
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've got a week or so to return my P2 to Amazon and, as much as i like the camera, I'm afraid I'm considering it (I really did buy as it an ultra-portable timelapse device, so if it can't do that, then back it goes). If a firmware fix comes out, I'll just re-buy it (may even save on the deal!).
2020-12-14
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

chasg Posted at 12-14 03:24
I've got a week or so to return my P2 to Amazon and, as much as i like the camera, I'm afraid I'm considering it (I really did buy as it an ultra-portable timelapse device, so if it can't do that, then back it goes). If a firmware fix comes out, I'll just re-buy it (may even save on the deal!).

Exactly! They need to get these things fixed, or there will be quite a few returns. Question is... "Will they re-insert them into the supply chain at some point"
2020-12-14
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Gulfstream Posted at 12-14 07:44
Exactly! They need to get these things fixed, or there will be quite a few returns. Question is... "Will they re-insert them into the supply chain at some point"

I certainly don't see why they wouldn't (if our problems were a sales-damaging issue for DJI, they'd withdraw them from the market). Just a quick tidy up, and then sell them as refurbs.
2020-12-14
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

Switzerland

chasg Posted at 12-14 07:47
I certainly don't see why they wouldn't (if our problems were a sales-damaging issue for DJI, they'd withdraw them from the market). Just a quick tidy up, and then sell them as refurbs.

I'm a little disappointed that we haven't heard from any DJI people on this issue, as it seems pretty fundamental.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
2020-12-19
Use props
chasg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

chasg Posted at 2020-12-19 14:01
I'm a little disappointed that we haven't heard from any DJI people on this issue, as it seems pretty fundamental.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Has anyone been  able to test to see if this focus problem persists with the latest firmware? We’re locked down here in London, so I haven’t been able to try it myself.
2021-1-9
Use props
loic294
lvl.1

Canada

It still seems to be a problem with the new firmware, I really hope this gets fixed. What would be even better is manual focus options (am I the only one that would love that)?
2021-1-16
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, that is very disappointing.
2021-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now