Practical way to improve flight skill
804 5 2020-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
northrock
lvl.2
Flight distance : 203976 ft
United States

Hey, Folks. I am a newbie and got my mavic mini 6 months ago. My main usage is aerial photography (not ready for videography yet). Since I am living in a metropolitan area, it is very hard to find a suitable place to fly without a long driving from home. My skill level is still entry-level at best and already crashed my drone twice. Fortunately the mavic mini is really tough and still works great after I replaced the propellers.

To practice more, I tried the DJI assistant 2 fly simulator for mini. It is just too basic to be helpful at all. I am considering the professional version of DJI flight simulator. But it only supports the Windows platform and I am using MacBook at home. Furthermore it seems mini is not officially supported yet.

My questions are:
1. Is the professional DJI flight simulator really helpful to improve your flight skill? I am quite disappointed by the simulator coming with DJI assistant 2
2. Does DJI have any plan for a cloud-based simulator, so we can practice online?
3. Is there any useful 3rd party simulator available in the market now? (Just do not want to wait )  

Any input will be appreciated!

2020-12-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.
2020-12-10
Use props
northrock
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-10 01:03
Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.

Thanks for the advice, repost on the mavic mini section
2020-12-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

northrock Posted at 12-10 09:56
Thanks for the advice, repost on the mavic mini section

No problem at all!
2020-12-10
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my opinion and experience real life practice is the only thing that's going to help you improve your skills.

I would not even focus on taking pics or filming until you feel very confident in your skills.

I would start by visiting some large open parks or fields with little to no obstacles and just start getting the feel of the aircraft. Making smooth turns, controlling the camera, and getting familiar with all the controls.

Next step would be visiting an area that has some trees or maybe an old structure to fly around. One of the most important first steps of filing an area is surveying it first. Look for power lines, trees, or any other obstacles that you could possibly fly into. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings. Once you know the area and the height you are flying has no obstructions then you can freely focus on the subject you are filming.

Ultimately practice, practice, practice. It does take some time but be patient and you will see the results of that.

Good luck and fly safe.
2020-12-11
Use props
northrock
lvl.2
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 12-11 10:56
In my opinion and experience real life practice is the only thing that's going to help you improve your skills.

I would not even focus on taking pics or filming until you feel very confident in your skills.

Thanks for the advice. Just try to find a safe way to fly in more demanding environment  without crashing the mm again.  I guess there is no short cut.
2020-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules