SD card malfunction, formatting failed?
12496 11 2020-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

Hi I'm quite frustrated with an issue I've been having with my new drones. Was wondering if anyone in the community has had the same issue and maybe found a solution.

I recently replaced my mavic mini with the Mini 2. Upon receiving my first unit, the drone kept giving me SD card errors. This was the exact same SD card I was using in my mavic mini which never had any issues

- I tried reformatting through the drone but I would get a "formatting failed error"
- I tried reformatting through other devices and it would work. The card works fine and transfers files in my mobile phone/PC after formatting. It simply doesn't work in the drone
- I tried 2 different SD cards. My original SD card is from Mixza and the 2nd I tried is from sandisk. BOTH cards meet the minimum requirements of "UHS-I Speed Class 3 or above is required" found in both the spec pages for the mavic mini/mini 2. Both cards are UHS 1, speed class 10, 32 GB capacity
- All of this was before ever flying the drone for the first time. I did eventually try a test flight and there were no issues aside from lacking the ability to record via SD card

Giving up, I asked customer support for help. I was offered a new SD card and accepted. But a day later I instead for a replacement unit. DJI support processed the replacement and it took about 3 weeks for my new unit but it went VERY smoothly (thanks DJI). I was excited to use the new unit but again I got the same damn error. I guess the mini 2 is seriously picky about micro sd cards.

- I spoke to customer support yet again and I was offered a return/refund within 5 days of me making this post. I'm thinking of taking them up on the offer for the refund but I'm disappointed.. because I honestly love the drone. Plus I already sold my old mavic mini (crap). Had I known there would be issues, I would have kept my trusty mavic mini...
- I'm thinking of wasting >30$ on getting a new micro SD card but I'm annoyed that the specs never mentioned me ever needing a new card in the first place

I just fly the drone for fun so there's a lot I might not know. Hoping that someone in the community can help or if there's another solution from another DJI representative that see's this.
2020-12-11.jpg
2020-12-11 (1).jpg
2020-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Double check the card speed. It must have a 3 inside the "U". The original Mini does not require a speed 3 card. If you have a pc, try formatting with that. I had no problems using the same cards I use in the MA2.
2020-12-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Seriously, just buy a Sandisk Extreme series SD card. They work. The reason your card worked with the original Mini and not the new one is because the Mini 2 requires a faster card.
2020-12-11
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

follow the advice from Geebax. I've put in an Sandisk extreme 128GB. Works perfectly.

You can check on the adviced memory cards on the DJI website, if you can't find the Sandisk extreme.

https://www.dji.com/mobile/mini-2/specs
2020-12-11
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

Thank you all for the advice! I'll get a sandisk extreme and hopefully that works
2020-12-11
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

The same cards on 32Gb are usually U1, and on 64Gb and higher already U3 they are often confused....

Plus, Russian forums discuss a common problem and already on Mini 2 with the file system format of memory cards, it is recommended to format in exFAT.
2020-12-11
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

And do not forget about the general degradation of the speed of memory cards, when filling the entire capacity of the card and then rewriting it, the write speed can drop up to two times!

Everyone recommends Sandisk Extreme, and how it differs from Sandisk Extreme PRO, except for the higher price of the latter and the same speed...
So in Sandisk Extreme PRO, the level of speed drop during degradation after filling all the memory is much lower, so they want more money for it!

2020-12-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC. We're sorry to read about the difficulties you're experiencing. We suggest double-checking the specification of the SD card you're currently using to see if they're within the requirements. You can also post the SD card that you're using. If we could suggest should you plan to purchase a new SD card, we recommend checking specifically the SD cards below.
2020-12-11
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

I guess using correct text for the error messages does not take too much of an effort, and could save a lot of time and questions.
2020-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 12-11 23:52
I guess using correct text for the error messages does not take too much of an effort, and could save a lot of time and questions.

Well, it takes more effort to customize all messages than it takes for the user to actually read the manual !
2020-12-12
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-12 19:37
Well, it takes more effort to customize all messages than it takes for the user to actually read the manual !

In principle, I do not read the User manual, I like to read the Service manual!
2020-12-12
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Alevpi Posted at 12-12 20:15
In principle, I do not read the User manual, I like to read the Service manual!

you know where to get them?
2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules