APAS bypass not working. [Solved!]
2995 7 2020-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I got a Mavic Air 2 few days ago and have been playing around with all of the modes.  Yesterday I realized that my MA2 controller doesn't beep when it is near an obstacle or when I standing behind it when it takes off.  Today I tried to use the APAS bypass mode, but it didn't work; the MA2 will stop and not go around the obstacle.  I tried to get it to go around me, a tree trunk, and a bush.  Obviously the MA2 sees the obstacle in front of it, but bypass mode doesn't do anything when pushing the stick full forward.

The firmware for the controller and AC are the latest versions.  DJI Fly is the latest also.   I made sure to be in Normal mode, 30fps video recording, and plain old flying (no Active Track or intelligent modes.)  I also tried it with side movement on and off.  None of that worked.   Would reinstalling DJI Fly help?

Could he FPV transmission (smooth vs HD) affect APAS Bypass?   It's the only setting I can think of that I haven't tried changing yet.   Or is there some other setting that I missed?

One odd thing I noticed is that the controller will beep if a dialog screen pops up (home point updated, nearby aircraft, or low battery) in DJI Fly app and the is an obstacle in front of the AC.  Otherwise it never beeps.

I'm a bit annoyed because I purchased Care Refresh and I might have to return/exchange the drone.  Will DJI refund Care Refresh if I decide not to keep the MA2?  And will they transfer Care Refresh if I get an exchange?

2020-12-11
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Hello The Duck
First of all, the obstacle noise does not come from the RC but from the mobile and You must have the volume turned on to hear it.
Now about the bypass, if you have selected bypass on the safety settings, then it only works in normal mode and not in Tripod mode.
As you describe it you have it in Tripod mode unless the obstacle is so big that cant see light in the dark.

Is the lighting conditions enough to see clearly? Try to calibrate the sensors and then try again.

2020-12-11
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Niknik Posted at 12-11 18:15
Hello The Duck
First of all, the obstacle noise does not come from the RC but from the mobile and You must have the volume turned on to hear it.
Now about the bypass, if you have selected bypass on the safety settings, then it only works in normal mode and not in Tripod mode.

You didn't fully read my post or understand it.  I'll try to make this clear.

No, I wrote I was using Normal mode only.  I used Normal mode, not Tripod, not Cine Smooth, not Sport mode.

No, the sound on the phone is working fine.  The volume was up and I hear the Take Off, Home Point Updated, etc sounds.   And I hear the OA beeps when the DJI Fly app shows a dialog screen, but only when there is a pop up dialog screen.

No, it was sunny and bright when I tried bypass.  Multiple times, multiple objects.  Nothing ..  The AC only hovers and does not bypass.

2020-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I seem to remember someone saying that the side movement setting does not work well if it is switched after takeoff. Maybe try again by setting it to allow side movement before launch, if you are not already doing that.

The thing that seems odd is that the controller does not beep at takeoff. Mine always does unless I am many yards away or to the side.
2020-12-11
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-11 20:07
I seem to remember someone saying that the side movement setting does not work well if it is switched after takeoff. Maybe try again by setting it to allow side movement before launch, if you are not already doing that.

The thing that seems odd is that the controller does not beep at takeoff. Mine always does unless I am many yards away or to the side.

Hi GaryDoug, Thanks for the suggestion.  I think there was something screwy with the Fly app so I decided to delete it and reinstall it last night.

I started Fly app this morning and it looks like all settings except the metric/imperial were kept.  Went out for a test flight and lo and behold, APAS Bypass is working now.  I'm really happy about that.  Also, it's now defaulting to allow sideways flight (it wasn't doing that before.)

However, I'm still not getting audible beeps when I fly close to an object.  Maybe this is something new with the Fly app.  I'm probably one of the few who wants the beeps.  I find them useful because I'm not good at judging distance from the FPV view.
2020-12-12
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I'm happy to say that I've been able to solve both problems.

Reinstalling FJI Fly got APAS working.
Restarting the iPhone got the OA beeps to working.  [face palm]
2020-12-12
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The DJI Fly app on IOS does not properly purge, amend and modify old files when being updated sometimes.  That is why DJI recommend deleting the app and reinstalling it to update.  It is not an uncommon problem for complex apps with large amounts of code.
2020-12-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there The Duck. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue before with your DJI Mavic Air 2 and it is great to know that you were able to solve the said issue by reinstalling the DJI Fly application. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules