FPV Mini
807 4 2020-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Now that we know the upcoming DJI FPV Drone won't be the DJI "Cinewhoop" some of us have been looking for, it's time to fall back and regroup.  Compared to a Mini, the upcoming "FPV" is a battleship.  5" tri-blade props, 6S batteries, etc.  You won't be flying this into tiny places like a Cinewhoop!  Knowing that WiFi FPV is totally impractical for a variety of reasons, what can be done to make the Mini FPV'able?  [Note: There is no practical headset/goggles for the Occulus 2 Mini-2, so this also applies to that ship].  Of course a simple AIO VTX on a Mini is workable, but with the downside of Analog FPV in both range and visual quality.  How about a DJI Air Unit or Caddx Vista/Nebula on a Mini?  Expensive, considering the $530 DJI FPV headset to use, but you would be getting DJI FPV on a DJI mini-drone that has prop guards and can be used as a Cinewhoop with DJI stability and recording quality.

Has anybody tried this, and if so, how well does it work (mounting, weight, visual, drag issues considered)?

In that the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo can now be gotten for $350, add a DJI headset for $530 and a Caddx Vista/Nebula for $125 = $1,005 for a DJI FPV drone half the size and cheaper than the DJI FPV Drone!  Downsides: won't do 90+ mph, "only" 2.7K recording, less wind resistance.

Thanks.

2020-12-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know several people who would buy a DJI "Cinewhoop" drone.  It's a shame DJI decided to not go that direction.  
2020-12-13
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Rumor
https://www.helicomicro.com/2020/12/02/rumeur-dji-fpv-le-racer-de-dji-en-images/
2020-12-13
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-13 05:59
I know several people who would buy a DJI "Cinewhoop" drone.  It's a shame DJI decided to not go that direction.

I got a Tello with the hope that it could be a DJI Cinewhoop, but no joy.  Stability/Position-hold was good.  But among the killer issues were (1) WiFi FPV is totally impractical at this time [there are no WiFi headsets]; (2) whenever the Tello bumps into something it shuts off and falls to earth; (3) unless you arm it immediately to get the props turning, it will shut itself off from overheat [before you can get any headset on].  I was able to create this video, but you can see what I had to do to make it work:
2020-12-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 12-13 14:07
I got a Tello with the hope that it could be a DJI Cinewhoop, but no joy.  Stability/Position-hold was good.  But among the killer issues were (1) WiFi FPV is totally impractical at this time [there are no WiFi headsets]; (2) whenever the Tello bumps into something it shuts off and falls to earth; (3) unless you arm it immediately to get the props turning, it will shut itself off from overheat .  I was able to create this video, but you can see what I had to do to make it work: Like A Hummingbird

Definitely way too much to do to make it work.  Cool video.
2020-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules